    "service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(

    Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    knows what the "S" stands for??

    Your Name, Aug 20, 2011

  2. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your Name)
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    >"service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    >
    >Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    >knows what the "S" stands for??

    Mea culpa. I've rubbished Telecom many times on this ng over the
    years. I've even dumped them for Xnet and Vodafone from time to time.
    But for the past few years, Telecom has come up trumps. They have also
    just doubled my broadband download cap to 40gigs. Not that I'll use
    it.

    IOW I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Telecom these days. Fingers
    crossed ...

    Donchano, Aug 20, 2011

  3. On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    >"service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    >
    >Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    >knows what the "S" stands for??

    Actrix the very first in NZ and still has a Newsfeed I think.

    Slashdot ? has a unlimited account if you need to dnloas a lot.

    Frank Williams, Aug 20, 2011
  4. On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:09:02 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your Name)
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    >>"service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    >>knows what the "S" stands for??

    >Mea culpa. I've rubbished Telecom many times on this ng over the
    >years. I've even dumped them for Xnet and Vodafone from time to time.
    >But for the past few years, Telecom has come up trumps. They have also
    >just doubled my broadband download cap to 40gigs. Not that I'll use
    >it.
    >
    >IOW I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Telecom these days. Fingers
    >crossed ...

    I don't think that Farego would agree with you.

    Actrix still has a newsfeed and was the first in NZ..

    As far as Telescum goes it should be the last on any ones list.

    Frank Williams, Aug 20, 2011
  5. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:34:30 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:09:02 +1200, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your Name)
    >>shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>

    >>>Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    >>>"service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    >>>knows what the "S" stands for??

    >>Mea culpa. I've rubbished Telecom many times on this ng over the
    >>years. I've even dumped them for Xnet and Vodafone from time to time.
    >>But for the past few years, Telecom has come up trumps. They have also
    >>just doubled my broadband download cap to 40gigs. Not that I'll use
    >>it.
    >>
    >>IOW I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Telecom these days. Fingers
    >>crossed ...

    >I don't think that Farego would agree with you.

    Frankly Woger, I'm expressing MY opinion based on MY experience, not
    someone else's. And it's Fair Go, not Farego.

    >Actrix still has a newsfeed and was the first in NZ..

    But it doesn't offer any plan that comes even close to what I'm
    getting from Telecom.

    >As far as Telescum goes it should be the last on any ones list.

    Your opinion, not mine.

    Donchano, Aug 20, 2011
  6. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > As far as Telescum goes it should be the last on any ones list.

    The useless cretins at Vodafone shouldn't even be on the list - they are
    NOT an Internet Service Provider by any strecth of the imagination, and
    nor do they apparently want to be. X-(

    Thanks to everyone for the other suggestions. I'll take a look at their
    websites ... assuming the useless pillocks at Vodafone actually get web
    access working again or I'm somewhere that uses another company.

    Your Name, Aug 20, 2011
  7. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:40:25 +1200, "WorkHard" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:09:02 +1200, Donchano
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your
    >>> Name)
    >>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Mea culpa. I've rubbished Telecom many times on this ng over
    >>> the
    >>> years. I've even dumped them for Xnet and Vodafone from time
    >>> to time.
    >>> But for the past few years, Telecom has come up trumps. They
    >>> have
    >>> also just doubled my broadband download cap to 40gigs. Not
    >>> that I'll
    >>> use it.
    >>>
    >>> IOW I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Telecom these days.
    >>> Fingers
    >>> crossed ...

    >> I don't think that Farego would agree with you.
    >>
    >> Actrix still has a newsfeed and was the first in NZ..
    >>

    >> As far as Telescum goes it should be the last on any ones list.

    >LOL Farego?
    >
    >Telecom is great. Inspire are great, too.

    I agree. My Telecom experience has been great for a few years now. But
    if I were ever to consider jumping ship, I'd look at what Xnet were
    offering. Right now their bundled home phone and broadband plan looks
    good. And I like the idea of paying $1.28 a GB instead of being tied
    into a capped plan.

    http://www.xnet.co.nz/about-us/

    Donchano, Aug 21, 2011
  8. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-08-20, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:05:55 +1200, (Your Name)
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    >>"service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    >>knows what the "S" stands for??

    > Mea culpa. I've rubbished Telecom many times on this ng over the
    > years. I've even dumped them for Xnet and Vodafone from time to time.
    > But for the past few years, Telecom has come up trumps. They have also
    > just doubled my broadband download cap to 40gigs. Not that I'll use
    > it.
    >
    > IOW I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Telecom these days. Fingers
    > crossed ...

    Now did we all read, and understand the word dial-up from the OP?

    So, is the advice worth much? ;-

    Gordon, Aug 21, 2011
  9. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59:57 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 21/08/2011 11:35 a.m., Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> I agree. My Telecom experience has been great for a few years now. But
    >> if I were ever to consider jumping ship, I'd look at what Xnet were
    >> offering. Right now their bundled home phone and broadband plan looks
    >> good. And I like the idea of paying $1.28 a GB instead of being tied
    >> into a capped plan.
    >>
    >> http://www.xnet.co.nz/about-us/
    >>

    >I bailed from xnet to Telecom a couple of years back due to a lack of
    >service on the part of xnet. My father is with them and he reports that
    >their service is still somewhat lacking. I'm not a fan of VOIP over
    >naked DSL regardless of who provides it does not provide a reliable
    >phone service (cf PSTN in Chch at quake time), and the cost saving of
    >going that way is miniscule compared to keeping a "real" landline.

    Even though I just completed a three hour Skype conversation with a
    friend in Hawaii, I must admit to being hesitant about putting all my
    eggs in one basket. Think I'll keep the old landline a while longer.
    The Christchurch example is a good one.

    Donchano, Aug 21, 2011
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Donchano
    <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59:57 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > >I bailed from xnet to Telecom a couple of years back due to a lack of
    > >service on the part of xnet. My father is with them and he reports that
    > >their service is still somewhat lacking. I'm not a fan of VOIP over
    > >naked DSL regardless of who provides it does not provide a reliable
    > >phone service (cf PSTN in Chch at quake time), and the cost saving of
    > >going that way is miniscule compared to keeping a "real" landline.

    > Even though I just completed a three hour Skype conversation with a
    > friend in Hawaii, I must admit to being hesitant about putting all my
    > eggs in one basket. Think I'll keep the old landline a while longer.
    > The Christchurch example is a good one.

    Not just a landline either. You need to have an "old fashioned" wired
    phone rather than a portable one that relys on an electrical wall socket
    for the base station.

    Your Name, Aug 21, 2011
  11. Your Name

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 19:12:48 +1200, (Your Name)
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <>, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59:57 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >> >
    >> >I bailed from xnet to Telecom a couple of years back due to a lack of
    >> >service on the part of xnet. My father is with them and he reports that
    >> >their service is still somewhat lacking. I'm not a fan of VOIP over
    >> >naked DSL regardless of who provides it does not provide a reliable
    >> >phone service (cf PSTN in Chch at quake time), and the cost saving of
    >> >going that way is miniscule compared to keeping a "real" landline.

    >> Even though I just completed a three hour Skype conversation with a
    >> friend in Hawaii, I must admit to being hesitant about putting all my
    >> eggs in one basket. Think I'll keep the old landline a while longer.
    >> The Christchurch example is a good one.

    >Not just a landline either. You need to have an "old fashioned" wired
    >phone rather than a portable one that relys on an electrical wall socket
    >for the base station.

    That too.

    Donchano, Aug 21, 2011
  12. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Kiwi
    <> wrote:

    > On 21 Aug 2011 04:09:26 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >

    > >Now did we all read, and understand the word dial-up from the OP?
    > >
    > >So, is the advice worth much? ;-

    > He has been moaning about Ihug for several years. Funilly enough,
    > nobody else with a diall up account has complained to nz.comp.
    >
    > This would indicate to me that the problem is either with his s/w or
    > h/w.

    Nope and Nope. But believe whatever garbage you want. :-\

    Your Name, Aug 21, 2011
  13. In article <>, (Your Name) wrote:
    >In article <>, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59:57 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:
    >> >
    >> >I bailed from xnet to Telecom a couple of years back due to a lack of
    >> >service on the part of xnet. My father is with them and he reports that
    >> >their service is still somewhat lacking. I'm not a fan of VOIP over
    >> >naked DSL regardless of who provides it does not provide a reliable
    >> >phone service (cf PSTN in Chch at quake time), and the cost saving of
    >> >going that way is miniscule compared to keeping a "real" landline.

    >> Even though I just completed a three hour Skype conversation with a
    >> friend in Hawaii, I must admit to being hesitant about putting all my
    >> eggs in one basket. Think I'll keep the old landline a while longer.
    >> The Christchurch example is a good one.

    >Not just a landline either. You need to have an "old fashioned" wired
    >phone rather than a portable one that relys on an electrical wall socket
    >for the base station.

    ... until telecon turn off the power so those won't work either. :)
    Some time in the next couple of years IIRC ??

    To the OP, actrix for service. Their help desk people know things and are,
    well, helpful. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 22, 2011
  14. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <j2s6lc$j5v$>,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article

    <>,
    (Your Name) wrote:
    > >In article <>, Donchano
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:59:57 +1200, EMB <> shouted
    > >> from the highest rooftop:

    > >> Even though I just completed a three hour Skype conversation with a
    > >> friend in Hawaii, I must admit to being hesitant about putting all my
    > >> eggs in one basket. Think I'll keep the old landline a while longer.
    > >> The Christchurch example is a good one.

    > >Not just a landline either. You need to have an "old fashioned" wired
    > >phone rather than a portable one that relys on an electrical wall socket
    > >for the base station.

    > .. until telecon turn off the power so those won't work either. :)
    > Some time in the next couple of years IIRC ??

    That wouldn't surprise me. "Progress" isn't always for the better. :-(

    > To the OP, actrix for service. Their help desk people know things and are,
    > well, helpful. :)

    Another one to add to my list, thanks.

    Your Name, Aug 22, 2011
  15. On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:08:26 +1200, Your Name wrote:

    > In article <j2s6lc$j5v$>,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >> In article

    > <>,
    > (Your Name) wrote:

    >>>Not just a landline either. You need to have an "old fashioned" wired
    >>>phone rather than a portable one that relys on an electrical wall socket
    >>>for the base station.

    >> .. until telecon turn off the power so those won't work either. :)
    >> Some time in the next couple of years IIRC ??

    > That wouldn't surprise me. "Progress" isn't always for the better. :-(
    >
    >> To the OP, actrix for service. Their help desk people know things and are,
    >> well, helpful. :)

    > Another one to add to my list, thanks.

    Another good one i am using (not dial up though) and i came here from ihug

    www.snap.net.nz

    Robin Halligan, Aug 22, 2011
  16. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Kiwi
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:02:46 +1200, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    > >In article <>, Kiwi
    > ><> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> He has been moaning about Ihug for several years. Funilly enough,
    > >> nobody else with a diall up account has complained to nz.comp.
    > >>
    > >> This would indicate to me that the problem is either with his s/w or
    > >> h/w.

    > >Nope and Nope. But believe whatever garbage you want. :-\

    > Ok,
    >
    > If you can provide the details of anyone else having difficulties with
    > Ihug dial up I will be happy to change my opinion. The reason I made
    > that statement was that you were the only Ihug dial up user
    > complaining of these issues that had posted in nz.comp.
    >
    > Cheers, Kiwi

    Who gives a damn what you bleieve ... as I said, believe whatever garbage
    you want to. :-\

    Your Name, Aug 22, 2011
  17. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Kiwi
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:02:46 +1200, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    > >In article <>, Kiwi
    > ><> wrote:

    > >> He has been moaning about Ihug for several years. Funilly enough,
    > >> nobody else with a diall up account has complained to nz.comp.
    > >>
    > >> This would indicate to me that the problem is either with his s/w or
    > >> h/w.

    > >Nope and Nope. But believe whatever garbage you want. :-\

    > Ok,
    >
    > If you can provide the details of anyone else having difficulties with
    > Ihug dial up I will be happy to change my opinion. The reason I made
    > that statement was that you were the only Ihug dial up user
    > complaining of these issues that had posted in nz.comp.
    >
    > Cheers, Kiwi

    Just to let this smartass know what an incompetent idiot he is, I had a
    phonecall from Vodafone's tech staff who told me that:

    a. other people had reported the email problem (as I already knew),

    b. the email problem had been caused by the spam filter incorrectly
    giving false positives (Vodafone should not be interferring with
    emails anyway).

    That problem was fixed, but the issues of slow website access still
    persists, and has also been reported by other people.

    Your Name, Aug 23, 2011
  18. Your Name

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 20/08/2011 9:34 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > I don't think that Farego would agree with you.
    >
    > Actrix still has a newsfeed and was the first in NZ..
    >

    > As far as Telescum goes it should be the last on any ones list.

    That's a pretty good recommendation for Telecom.

    Gib Bogle, Aug 30, 2011
  19. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    The hopeless idiots at Vodafone seem to have finally fixed the current
    problems ... and it only took a week and a half to fix the email issue and
    a nother week and a half to fix the international website issue ... both
    of which they said were not problems at their end (despite multiple people
    telling them it was), but eventually bothered to actually check and find
    it was. It's this kind of shoddy service that makes Vodafone NZ the
    bigest joke of an ISP in New Zealand. And now we wait for the next
    problem they refuse to admit to or look into for another week and a half.
    X-(

    My advice to anyone looking for a new ISP: stay WELL AWAY from Vodafone NZ!!
    (I would also advise looking elsewhere for phone and mobile services.)

    Your Name, Aug 30, 2011
  20. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <4e62afe4$>, "collector.nz"
    <> wrote:

    > On 20/08/2011 7:05 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > Vodafone is absolute crap and an utter joke - they have no idea what
    > > "service" means and can't run a server to save themselves. X-(
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a decent dial-up ISP in New Zealand that actually
    > > knows what the "S" stands for??

    > Reading thecomments here I figure I should add a few wild cards.
    >
    > I have been with iHug (An orignal client one of the first) then with
    > Xtra and Then Orcon.
    >
    > At various times they have all been good, usually while the scale of the
    > operation was still personal and the loads not so great as to require
    > large disjointed teams to manage things.
    >
    > Some ISP's do some things better than other ISP's and other things worse.
    >
    > IMHO You sign on and take your chances with any ISP, even the small so
    > called independants, who are really only reselling one of the larger
    > guys infrastructure and taking a middle man cut.
    >
    > For me the limiting factor with any ISP is the T&C can I do what I
    > currently do. (Run several servers of a small nature)

    The problem with using one of the small on-selling guys is that whenever
    there's a problem it can be even harder to get it fixed since you're
    dealing through an extra intermediary.

    You get a similar problem when buying landline services from the other
    ISPs since it's really Telecom NZ that still own almost all the equipment,
    exchanges and phone lines. The poor user gets stuck in the middle of a
    game of "pass the buck" with each company blaming the other and not
    actually fixing anything.

    Of course, Vodafone is yet again proving they're an utter joke as an ISP.
    After supposedly "fixing" it a couple of weeks ago, they are again having
    problems with their email server filtering / bouncing messages without
    even trying to send them! Absolutely hopeless!!! No doubt another week and
    a half before anyone there bothers to do yet another temporary patch-it
    "fix". X-(

    Your Name, Sep 4, 2011