Q: Cisco AP 1131 -- "Unsupported device type" error in Cisco NetworkAssistant

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by x13, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. x13

    x13 Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm hoping someone can tell me why this is happening...

    I recently configured a 1131 AP from Lightweight to Autonomous Mode
    (flashed another IOS).
    AP works fine in every way, except one...

    When trying to access it via/make it a member of a community, the
    following error message appears:

    "Unsupported device type: AIR-LAP1131AG-K-E9
    Cannot add device <ip address> to community"

    Community has other similar devices that also work fine but do not
    give this error -- the only two differences being that the other AP's
    were shipped as Autonomous Mode AP's, and the one giving the problem
    was converted from LW to AM. Also, the other AP's are advertising as
    "AIR-AP1131AG" instead of "AIR-LAP1131AG-K-E9".

    Could either (or both) cause the problem?

    If device is still advertising itself as a LM model (apparently not
    manageable with Cisco Network Assistant), is there a variable, string
    or register that can be changed, or I should just pick another IOS
    version?

    Any help would ge greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

    M.T.

    PS: Email is a decoy -- please reply within thread.
    x13, Nov 27, 2007

  2. Re: Q: Cisco AP 1131 -- "Unsupported device type" error in Cisco Network Assistant

    M.T.,

    I didn't catch which IOS version you're running ... it used to be that
    AIR-LAP model APs that were running aIOS reported a bogus OID value,
    which kept them from being manageable by WLSE -
    this was fixed via CSCsc68458 in 12.3(7)JA4 12.3(8)JA.

    I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the fix ... if you're running IOS
    with the CSCsc68458 fix yet are still seeing this problem in Cisco
    Network Assistant, then your next step would be to teach CNA about this
    model. Maybe it has a table that you can edit.

    Aaron

    ----

    ~ Hi all,
    ~
    Aaron Leonard, Nov 27, 2007

  3. x13

    x13 Guest

    Re: Q: Cisco AP 1131 -- "Unsupported device type" error in CiscoNetwork Assistant

    Thanks for your help Aaron.

    I'll compile a list of IOS versions (show version, show diag) this
    week.

    x13, Dec 2, 2007