    exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.

    Thanks!
    Michael.
    Tom Thumb, Nov 6, 2007

  2. Tom Thumb

    Douglas Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:20:52 +0000, Tom Thumb wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact
    > digital that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer
    > to conect via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an
    > adaptor for. I would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I
    > can fix the exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the
    > Nikon P5100.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Michael.

    Panasonic FZ series have a hotshoe. The FZ50 also has full intergration
    with the camera E TTL. The flash from Panasonic however is almost as
    expensive as the camera! Perhaps a Olympus flash will suit it? They are
    all made by Panasonic.

    Douglas

    --
    If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
    Douglas, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Tom Thumb

    Jarvis W. Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:20:52 GMT, "Tom Thumb" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact digital
    >that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer to conect
    >via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an adaptor for. I
    >would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I can fix the
    >exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Michael.

    Just go here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Use options of:

    Format: SLR-Like, or Compact, or Ultra-Compact (even one ultra-compact uses
    external flash)

    Street Price: (your current exchange rate to US$, £200 = US$420)

    External Flash: Yes

    Only Current: Yes (or "Don't Mind", if you want many dozens more earlier
    models).

    The street price selection criteria may limit them enough so you get enough for
    just one page, but if not then use other selection criteria to narrow them down
    even more to the 10-max allowed for display. There's many dozens, if not
    hundreds, of P&S cameras that can use external flash. All mine do.
    Jarvis W., Nov 7, 2007
  4. On Nov 6, 11:20 pm, "Tom Thumb" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact digital
    > that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer to conect
    > via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an adaptor for. I
    > would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I can fix the
    > exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Michael.

    Be careful.
    Most older flash units present a high voltage on the sync cable - safe
    for film cameras where the shutter closes a physical switch, but
    likely to fry modern electronic cameras.
    Al
    Al, Cambridge, UK, Nov 7, 2007