Q: Anti-Phishing in Fx?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Quivis, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Hi,
    After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
    features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:

    http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/

    Tried that link to the test page:

    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html

    No warning, nothing, nada.

    I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:

    Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
    Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}

    TIA for any suggestions.
    --
    Quivis
    Quivis, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Quivis wrote:
    > Hi,
    > After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
    > features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:
    >
    > http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/
    >
    > Tried that link to the test page:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html
    >
    > No warning, nothing, nada.
    >
    > I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:
    >
    > Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
    > Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.

    I don't know what you're looking for in the config editor,
    but in Tools, Options, Security, its the second box that
    needs to be checked -- the one about forgery.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 2, 2007

  3. On 2007-11-02, Quivis <> wrote:

    > After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
    > features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:
    >
    > http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/
    >
    > Tried that link to the test page:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html
    >
    > No warning, nothing, nada.

    Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is supposed
    to work.

    > I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:
    >
    > Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
    > Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.

    What are you trying to do?

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    On 03 nov 2007, John Thompson<2.dhs.org>, had the
    following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    > Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is
    > supposed to work.

    On their site they say:
    "You can test to see if Phishing Protection is enabled by browsing to
    our test site. If Phishing Protection is turned on, a warning dialog
    will appear."

    Ref: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/

    The words "test site" form a link to some other place, I assumed it
    was the test site...?

    I get nothing; even _with_ the checkboxes checked in options. All I
    get is what looks like a normal web page, and nothing like a dialog
    at all. I have tried with/without blocking popups, with/without
    AdBlock, with/without Java, etc. That's why I went into about:config
    trying to find more info, but all I could find was that reference I
    mentioned in my first article.

    > What are you trying to do?

    I'm trying to get this dialog box to show up they speak of on their
    site. It would be nice to know if it works. As on now, I'm not sure
    it does, and I don't know of any other forged pages where I could go
    and test this feature.
    --
    Quivis
    Quivis, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    On 02 nov 2007, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <>, had the following to say to
    the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    > I don't know what you're looking for in the config editor,
    > but in Tools, Options, Security, its the second box that
    > needs to be checked -- the one about forgery.

    Been there. See my response to John.
    --
    Quivis
    Quivis, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Quivis wrote:
    > Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    >
    > On 03 nov 2007, John Thompson<2.dhs.org>, had the
    > following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
    >
    >> Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is
    >> supposed to work.

    > On their site they say:
    > "You can test to see if Phishing Protection is enabled by browsing to
    > our test site. If Phishing Protection is turned on, a warning dialog
    > will appear."
    >
    > Ref: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/
    >
    > The words "test site" form a link to some other place, I assumed it
    > was the test site...?
    >
    > I get nothing; even _with_ the checkboxes checked in options. All I
    > get is what looks like a normal web page, and nothing like a dialog
    > at all. I have tried with/without blocking popups, with/without
    > AdBlock, with/without Java, etc. That's why I went into about:config
    > trying to find more info, but all I could find was that reference I
    > mentioned in my first article.
    >
    >> What are you trying to do?

    > I'm trying to get this dialog box to show up they speak of on their
    > site. It would be nice to know if it works. As on now, I'm not sure
    > it does, and I don't know of any other forged pages where I could go
    > and test this feature.

    Tools, Options, Security, put a check beside "tell me if the
    site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" then select the
    one about "Check by asking" and in the drop down select
    google and accept the terms from google. Now, revisit the
    page http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html and you
    should see it.

    If not, then clear the cookies and the cache and try again.

    and the setting in the config editor is:

    browser.safebrowsing.enabled

    which should be set to true.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 3, 2007
  7. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Sorry for the long delay. Been rather busy, you might say.

    On 03 nov 2007, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <>, had the following to say to
    the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    > Tools, Options, Security, put a check beside "tell me if the
    > site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" then select the
    > one about "Check by asking" and in the drop down select
    > google and accept the terms from google. Now, revisit the
    > page http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html and you
    > should see it.

    I see. So, the only way to get it to work is by using google?

    Thanks, but no thanks. I think I'll pass on that thing then. I don't
    give a whole lot for their so-called "privacy statement." >P

    Thanks for your time and reply. :)

    Q.
    Quivis, Feb 21, 2008