    I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.

    Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?

    Thank you.

    out2x40, May 13, 2006

  2. out2x40

    Tee Jay Guest

    out2x40 wrote:
    > I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64 processor
    > (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
    >
    > I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
    >
    > Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Short answer:
    AMD Athlon 64 processor is newer and faster and built for the future.
    Intel Pentium III 500 MHz is older, slower and also a dead end product.
    No upgrade ability.

    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, May 13, 2006

  3. out2x40

    Toby Guest

    "Tee Jay" <> wrote in message
    > out2x40 wrote:
    >> I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64
    >> processor (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
    >>
    >> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better
    >> computer?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Short answer:
    > AMD Athlon 64 processor is newer and faster and built for the future.
    > Intel Pentium III 500 MHz is older, slower and also a dead end product. No
    > upgrade ability.

    Yep. Even the slowest Athlon 64 will be about 4x the speed of the P3, and
    will allow you to run the new 64 bit programs that are starting to be
    introduced.

    Toby

    Toby, May 13, 2006
  4. out2x40

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "out2x40" <> wrote in message
    >I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64
    >processor (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
    >
    > I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
    >
    > Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?

    At a guess I would say the Intel is at least 5 years older than the AMD
    possibly years older. The AMD is probably worth 10 times as much.
    If you bought the PIII on Ebay the postage might cost you more than the
    processor. Don't get the PIII, its virtually obsolete although you could
    probably 'get by' on it. It obviously depends what you are paying, as the
    PIII system should be a fraction of the AMD price.
    You wont be able to buy the PIII in a shop of course because they
    are obsolete systems.

    Bazzer Smith, May 17, 2006
  5. out2x40

    CLV3 Guest

    "out2x40" <> wrote in message
    > I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64

    processor
    > (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
    >
    > I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
    >
    > Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
    >
    > Thank you.

    This is a question tha has been asked and debated for a while now and is
    right up there with some of the classics such as PC Vs Mac or Chicken Vs the
    egg....

    While I am far from being an expert, I believe first you have to decide what
    you are going to use the computer for mostly. As far as gaming goes, the
    concensus seems to be AMD.

    CLV3, May 18, 2006
  6. out2x40

    CLV3 Guest

    "out2x40" <> wrote in message
    > I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64

    processor
    > (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
    >
    > I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
    >
    > Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Of course the AMD 64 is the equivalent of the P4 not 3....so in answer to
    your question...AMD. I miss read your post originally and thought you were
    comparing the AMD 64 with the Pentium IV.

    CLV3, May 18, 2006