    the control ring can continue turning. In other words, the lens focuses
    fine, but the control ring seems to slip beyond the limits.

    Is something wrong with my lens, or are they all like that?

    Jeffrey Jones, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Jones

    G-Man Guest

    Nope! That's the way they work on the AutoFocus. The focus system has to
    be free to turn even of you are holding the ring by mistake. Otherwise it
    would burn the motor up. To see what I mean, just hold the ring and let it
    autofocus.

    G-Man
    PS, got the same camera kit last week. Love it!

    G-Man, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Jeffrey Jones

    C J Campbell Guest

    > I bought a D70 kit last week. My camera store has a two-week return
    > policy. I need to check something about the lens before the time is up.
    >
    > Is this normal: The manual focus ring is free to turn beyond the focus
    > limits. What I mean is, if I turn toward infinity, the the distance
    > scale will go to infinity (slightly beyond, actually) and stop. The
    > control ring, however, is free to continue turning.

    It is supposed to do that. You may feel a slight detent as it goes past the
    focus limits, not unlike the dial of a safe. Be sure to read the manual for
    the lens.

    C J Campbell, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Jeffrey Jones

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:25:51 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Jeffrey Jones
    <> wrote:

    >I bought a D70 kit last week. My camera store has a two-week return
    >policy. I need to check something about the lens before the time is up.
    >
    >Is this normal: The manual focus ring is free to turn beyond the focus
    >limits. What I mean is, if I turn toward infinity, the the distance
    >scale will go to infinity (slightly beyond, actually) and stop. The
    >control ring, however, is free to continue turning. Similarly, turning
    >the other direction, the focus goes down to 0.38 m and stops, but again
    >the control ring can continue turning. In other words, the lens focuses
    >fine, but the control ring seems to slip beyond the limits.
    >
    >Is something wrong with my lens, or are they all like that?

    It's normal.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Jones

    Guest

    Jeffrey Jones <> wrote:
    > I bought a D70 kit last week. My camera store has a two-week return
    > policy. I need to check something about the lens before the time is up.

    > Is this normal: The manual focus ring is free to turn beyond the focus
    > limits. What I mean is, if I turn toward infinity, the the distance
    > scale will go to infinity (slightly beyond, actually) and stop.
    > The control ring, however, is free to continue turning.

    This is OK.

    Andrew.

    , Oct 21, 2004
  6. Jeffrey Jones

    Gadgets Guest

    and normal to go past infinity apparently... and unfortunately... makes it
    harder to focus night shots. :(

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 21, 2004
  7. "Jeffrey Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Is this normal: The manual focus ring is free to turn beyond the focus
    > limits. What I mean is, if I turn toward infinity, the the distance
    > scale will go to infinity (slightly beyond, actually) and stop. The
    > control ring, however, is free to continue turning.

    All Nikon AF-S lenses act this way.

    Andrew Koenig, Oct 21, 2004
  8. Jeffrey Jones

    Ken Tough Guest

    G-Man <> wrote:

    >Nope! That's the way they work on the AutoFocus. The focus system has to
    >be free to turn even of you are holding the ring by mistake. Otherwise it
    >would burn the motor up. To see what I mean, just hold the ring and let it
    >autofocus.

    Is that like the "Full Time Manual" focus of the Canon ring-USM lenses?

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Jeffrey Jones

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Ken Tough <> wrote:

    >> Nope! That's the way they work on the AutoFocus. The focus system has to
    >> be free to turn even of you are holding the ring by mistake. Otherwise it
    >> would burn the motor up. To see what I mean, just hold the ring and let it
    >> autofocus.

    > Is that like the "Full Time Manual" focus of the Canon ring-USM lenses?

    Is that a thing where if you change the focus while in auto, it'll let you?
    Yes, it does that.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Jeffrey Jones

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:21:58 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gadgets"
    <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote:

    >and normal to go past infinity apparently... and unfortunately... makes it
    >harder to focus night shots. :(

    Not just the kit lens. My 70-200 VR is this way also. I'd hazard a guess
    any AF-S with manual override lens will be this way.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 21, 2004
  11. In article <>, G-Man
    <> wrote:

    > Nope! That's the way they work on the AutoFocus. The focus system has to
    > be free to turn even of you are holding the ring by mistake. Otherwise it
    > would burn the motor up. To see what I mean, just hold the ring and let it
    > autofocus.
    >
    > G-Man
    > PS, got the same camera kit last week. Love it!

    This makes sense. Thanks to everyone who responded.

    I am just switching from film. This is a great camera!

    Jeffrey Jones, Oct 22, 2004