    copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?

    Thanks!

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Video Flyer

    RWH Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:46 GMT, Video Flyer <> wrote:

    >This is one of the movies I've been holding off on buying because I saw so
    >many complaints about how something was wrong with. If the problem -
    >whatever it was - has been fixed, how can I be certain when I purchase a
    >copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Neal

    I've owned this DVD for years and have played it in at least three
    different players and I've never encountered a problem.

    I just purchased a new JVC 7-disc DVD changer ($30!) but I haven't yet
    tried it in this one.

    RWH, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Video Flyer

    anon Guest

    He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
    progressive player, has horibble
    video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't find
    any evidence of any fixed copies.
    The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the outside
    edge of the disk after the copywright
    information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you, or
    buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
    V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc 1.
    It took about 10 days overall for me.
    If you need the number, just ask.

    Brad

    anon, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Video Flyer

    Goro Guest

    "anon" <> wrote in message news:<TMUjc.7309$Rd4.603455@attbi_s51>...
    > He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
    > progressive player, has horibble
    > video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't find
    > any evidence of any fixed copies.
    > The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the outside
    > edge of the disk after the copywright
    > information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you, or
    > buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
    > V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc 1.
    > It took about 10 days overall for me.
    > If you need the number, just ask.
    >
    > Brad

    i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
    progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
    Have they remedied this?

    Goro, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Goro wrote:
    > i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
    > progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
    > Have they remedied this?

    The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error, but
    Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which they
    sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd already
    exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

    Unfortunately, the not-really-corrected second pressing and the
    actually-corrected third pressing are *both* labelled "V2", so even that
    label doesn't guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc. But you can
    tell the difference in either of two ways, according to discussion in the
    Home Theater Forum:

    (1) Feel the silkscreen art on the top side of Disc One. The corrected "V2"
    disc has smooth silkscreening, where the original disc and the second
    pressing (faulty "V2") disc had raised/textured silkscreening. (Disc Two
    still has textured art, so you can compare the surfaces of the two discs.)

    (2) Using a DVD-ROM drive, check the dates on the files in the Disc One
    VIDEO_TS folder. The original disc and the faulty "V2" both have files
    dated 15 July 2003: the corrected "V2" disc has files dated 13 October
    2003.

    Source: HTF thread at
    <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=168303>

    Admittedly, the second of these tests isn't too practical for checking in a
    store. But the silkscreen test should be sufficient to allow buyers to
    check their purchases while they're still at the counter, and to return
    them if they're the wrong version.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "Kiss the arse of Uncle Sam; oh, to be an Englishman..."
    --Killing Joke

    Douglas Bailey, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Video Flyer

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error,

    but
    > Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which

    they
    > sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd

    already
    > exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

    Why do people persist in using flag-reading DVD players when they really
    ought to know better?

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 30, 2004
  7. Video Flyer

    Morgan Guest

    Can you please post the 800 number?

    Thanks!
    Morgan

    Morgan, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Video Flyer

    anon Guest

    1-800-433-4673

    brad

    anon, Apr 30, 2004
  9. Video Flyer

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 4/29/04 11:12 AM, in article , "Douglas
    Bailey" <> wrote:

    > Goro wrote:
    >> i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
    >> progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
    >> Have they remedied this?

    > The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error, but
    > Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which they
    > sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd already
    > exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the not-really-corrected second pressing and the
    > actually-corrected third pressing are *both* labelled "V2", so even that
    > label doesn't guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc. But you can
    > tell the difference in either of two ways, according to discussion in the
    > Home Theater Forum:
    >
    > (1) Feel the silkscreen art on the top side of Disc One. The corrected "V2"
    > disc has smooth silkscreening, where the original disc and the second
    > pressing (faulty "V2") disc had raised/textured silkscreening. (Disc Two
    > still has textured art, so you can compare the surfaces of the two discs.)
    >
    > (2) Using a DVD-ROM drive, check the dates on the files in the Disc One
    > VIDEO_TS folder. The original disc and the faulty "V2" both have files
    > dated 15 July 2003: the corrected "V2" disc has files dated 13 October
    > 2003.
    >
    > Source: HTF thread at
    > <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=168303>
    >
    > Admittedly, the second of these tests isn't too practical for checking in a
    > store. But the silkscreen test should be sufficient to allow buyers to
    > check their purchases while they're still at the counter, and to return
    > them if they're the wrong version.
    >
    > HTH,
    >

    > doug

    Man, oh man. Thanks for the info!

    I've never opened a disc in the store to check it and I've never seen anyone
    else do that either. Have you actually done this? And, yeah, I know it's
    dependent on the store and the particular employee and what kind of day
    s/he's had but, in general, do you actually find that retail managers are
    okay with this? I know they often won't let you return a disc later if they
    see you've opened it....

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Apr 30, 2004
  10. Video Flyer

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > > The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error,

    > but
    > > Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which

    > they
    > > sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd

    > already
    > > exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

    > Why do people persist in using flag-reading DVD players when they really
    > ought to know better?

    Why ought they know better? I don't know what "flag-reading" is, and it
    doesn't sound like common knowledge - care to explain?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 30, 2004
  11. anon <> wrote:

    > It took about 10 days overall for me.

    But don't be surprised if it ends up more like 30 days...

    Frank Malczewski, May 1, 2004