PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MJJ, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. MJJ

    MJJ Guest

    Need some help here, please.

    I encountered a problem using Remote Installation Service (RIS) on Windows
    Server 2003 and a brandnew Asus P4C800 mainboard with a build-in Marvell
    Gigabit NIC.

    I included the NIC-drivers in the original CD-image of XP-Professional (with
    the extra $oem$ folderstructure).
    The client booted nicely from on the NIC, starting PXE, found the DHCP, got
    an IP (showing the MAC and GUID) and the installation of XP started fine. It
    formatted the drive, copied all nessasary installation files and started to
    install XP. So far, no problem.

    Once the Setup from XP rebooted the machine before further installation, I
    suddenly noticed this error:
    "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"
    "PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM"

    The setup of XP continued the installation and XP is running fine.

    The trouble is, I can not get the PXE-ROM connection over the LAN-adapter
    working again. With XP running, the LAN connection works fine. I already
    tried changing the bootorder and disabling harddrive, cdrom, etc. Nothing
    helps.

    What is going wrong here with the PXE? Why did it suddenly stop working once
    the XP-Setup rebooted the machine?

    MJJ

    MJJ, Aug 12, 2004