    any ideas?

    tia
    Dennis

    dennis, Apr 17, 2004

  2. dennis

    Thor Guest

    When power is abruptly removed from the system, it should autopark the heads
    immediately, but in rare cases a head crash can result. This covers the
    potential for hardware damage in that event. In the case of windows,
    however, if the drive was in the middle of a read/write operation (which
    could be at any time with windows, especially if write caching is enabled)
    you can end up with corrupted data being written to the drive. If your
    neighbor has accidentally done this on "several occasions" then perhaps you
    should be more concerned with his proclivity to repeat the same mistakes
    over and over. He should relocate the power strip or put tape over the
    switch to prevent it from happening. Also, a UPS unit wouldn't be a bad
    idea.

    "dennis" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a neighbor who on several occasions for some reason accidentally

    hit
    > the power switch on the surge protector and of course ungracefully powered
    > down his system. Upon booting the system back up it was found the disk

    was
    > corrupt and the os needed to be reinstalled. I realize a system is

    supposed

    Thor, Apr 17, 2004

  3. dennis

    dennis Guest

    Thanks Thor... for the interim that is what I did was put the powerstrip in
    a location behind the desk where it wouldn't get accidentally kicked. This
    will also minimize the chances of their 4 yr old being adventurous and
    turning off the switch, of course that is all together another issue that
    could be fixed.

    I will also check how their disk cache is set up. I wouldn't think the
    default setting would leave a system vulnerable (assuming their bios
    settings are default) but have seen stranger things.
    thanks
    Dennis

    dennis, Apr 17, 2004
  4. dennis

    w_tom Guest

    If XP was using the FAT filesystem on hard drive, then of
    course unexpected power off can erase files. Just another
    reason why disk drive should be using the NTFS filesystem.

    w_tom, Apr 18, 2004
  5. dennis

    dennis Guest

    No it is ntfs... I not only moved their power strip but also turned off the
    disk cache... performance hit is neglible

    thanks
    dennis

    now I need them to get away from the embedded video card. it's pretty
    sad... 128mb ram with 16 meg used for embedded video running xp home...
    ought to be a law against it (walmart)

    dennis, Apr 18, 2004