    Supervisor IOS 12.1(19)E1) on any VLAN except the default VLAN 1.

    Any hints/advice gratefully received.

    TIA

    Mortimer Mouse, Mar 5, 2004

  2. "Mortimer Mouse" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It's a bit off-topic, but does anyone know whether Cisco's
    > implementation of PVST is compatible with the Cabletron/Enterasys
    > implementation, specifically on 2nd Generation SS6000 modules? I've
    > been trying to get it working for a customer, but whatever I do I
    > can't see any BPDUs coming into the Cisco box (a Cat6500 running
    > Supervisor IOS 12.1(19)E1) on any VLAN except the default VLAN 1.
    >
    > Any hints/advice gratefully received.
    >
    > TIA

    According to Cisco PVST only runs on ISL trunks. ISL is a Cisco proprietry
    protocol. My understanding of it's operation is that BPDU's are only
    transmitted on the native VLAN.

    PVST+ has the same function as PVST, but on 802.1Q trunks; although 802.1Q
    is a IEEE standard PVST+ is a Cisco proprietry extension to this standard.

    BL
    --
    We should silence anyone who opposes the right to freedom of speech. - Sir
    Boyle Roche

    Buzz Lightbeer, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Mortimer Mouse

    Geert Guest

    Buzz Lightbeer wrote:
    > "Mortimer Mouse" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>It's a bit off-topic, but does anyone know whether Cisco's
    >>implementation of PVST is compatible with the Cabletron/Enterasys
    >>implementation, specifically on 2nd Generation SS6000 modules? I've
    >>been trying to get it working for a customer, but whatever I do I
    >>can't see any BPDUs coming into the Cisco box (a Cat6500 running
    >>Supervisor IOS 12.1(19)E1) on any VLAN except the default VLAN 1.
    >>
    >>Any hints/advice gratefully received.
    >>
    >>TIA

    > According to Cisco PVST only runs on ISL trunks. ISL is a Cisco proprietry
    > protocol. My understanding of it's operation is that BPDU's are only
    > transmitted on the native VLAN.
    >
    > PVST+ has the same function as PVST, but on 802.1Q trunks; although 802.1Q
    > is a IEEE standard PVST+ is a Cisco proprietry extension to this standard.
    >
    > BL

    Fully correct.
    PVST uses the standard BPDU's mac address and uses a bit in the ISL
    header to indicate that it is a BPDU packet. Cisco hardware is needed to
    understand ISL format.
    PVST+ uses standard 802.1q trunking (so this could work with a 3th party
    switch). PVST+ transmits the BPDUs of the first spanning tree UNTAGGED
    using VLAN1 and using the standard BPDU mac address. The BPDUs and
    spanning trees of the other VLANs are transmitted TAGGED using a Cisco
    Specific Mac Address. So using 802.1q trunking with 3th-party switches,
    will only get you ONE spanning tree, namely the spanning tree of VLAN1.
    The others are lost for a non-Cisco switch, since they don't understand
    the Cisco Specific BPDU Mac Address.

    mvg,
    Geert

    Geert, Apr 1, 2004