    Another recorder that I used had a Fixed 2GB file size.

    I just cant seem to find any reason for it.

    Thanks.
    Roger Brown, Mar 16, 2012

  2. Roger Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-03-16, Roger Brown <> wrote:

    > Help ! cant find any thing on the Net, manual just list the sizes.
    >
    > This PVR has settings for recorded file sizes, like 4GB (Default) and
    > 1GB, 2GB and 3GB.
    >

    > But why these options, this size is like setting the chapter file size,
    > but why is it needed.?
    >
    > Another recorder that I used had a Fixed 2GB file size.
    >

    > I just cant seem to find any reason for it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    History.

    Study the size which the BIOS would support thoughout the ages. Then various
    file systems. Vfat has a 4GB limit.

    Nothing to do with chapters video wise.

    It is needed, because the/some limits will have been exceeded if larger.

    Good news is the file max size folks ahve got rather pissed off with all
    this limit stuff arriving and have gone several orders of magnitude larger.
    Still we have the past and this must be catered for, still ASCII rules, and
    companies do not wish to piss anyone off. Bad advertising. So they include
    legacy ability.
    Gordon, Mar 17, 2012

  3. On 17 Mar 2012 04:38:50 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2012-03-16, Roger Brown <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Help ! cant find any thing on the Net, manual just list the sizes.
    >>
    >> This PVR has settings for recorded file sizes, like 4GB (Default) and
    >> 1GB, 2GB and 3GB.
    >>

    >> But why these options, this size is like setting the chapter file size,
    >> but why is it needed.?
    >>
    >> Another recorder that I used had a Fixed 2GB file size.
    >>

    >> I just cant seem to find any reason for it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >History.
    >
    >Study the size which the BIOS would support thoughout the ages. Then various
    >file systems. Vfat has a 4GB limit.
    >
    >Nothing to do with chapters video wise.
    >
    >It is needed, because the/some limits will have been exceeded if larger.
    >
    >Good news is the file max size folks ahve got rather pissed off with all
    >this limit stuff arriving and have gone several orders of magnitude larger.
    >Still we have the past and this must be catered for, still ASCII rules, and
    >companies do not wish to piss anyone off. Bad advertising. So they include
    >legacy ability.

    This is not a Answer at all, if you don't know don't reply..
    Frank Williams, Mar 17, 2012
  4. Roger Brown

    Richard Guest

    On 3/17/2012 12:58 PM, Roger Brown wrote:

    > Help ! cant find any thing on the Net, manual just list the sizes.
    >
    > This PVR has settings for recorded file sizes, like 4GB (Default) and
    > 1GB, 2GB and 3GB.
    >

    > But why these options, this size is like setting the chapter file size,
    > but why is it needed.?
    >
    > Another recorder that I used had a Fixed 2GB file size.
    >

    > I just cant seem to find any reason for it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Most use fat32 which has a 4 gig limit, and some broken apps cant handle
    opening files larger than 2 gigs, other options are probably just to
    give you the feeling of more control.
    Richard, Mar 18, 2012
  5. On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:38:57 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 3/17/2012 12:58 PM, Roger Brown wrote:
    >>
    >> Help ! cant find any thing on the Net, manual just list the sizes.
    >>
    >> This PVR has settings for recorded file sizes, like 4GB (Default) and
    >> 1GB, 2GB and 3GB.
    >>

    >> But why these options, this size is like setting the chapter file size,
    >> but why is it needed.?
    >>
    >> Another recorder that I used had a Fixed 2GB file size.
    >>

    >> I just cant seem to find any reason for it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Most use fat32 which has a 4 gig limit, and some broken apps cant handle
    >opening files larger than 2 gigs, other options are probably just to
    >give you the feeling of more control.

    The files can not be played on a PC at all and the device supports NTFS
    but what the different file block sizes..?
    Frank Williams, Mar 18, 2012