    ignore it?

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Nov 2, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 2/11/2013 5:47 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > I've got a set box and am getting the programs on it. But why do I get keep
    > getting a notice about "program not available and removed from list"? It
    > comes up on Prime, but I'm looking at Prime at the time and there is nothing
    > wrong with it.
    > Prime is 10 on my set. Is that going to change?
    >
    > Is Prime going to go off when we go digital, even for people with a set box?
    > There will be lot of annoyed people if so, Prime has quite the best
    > programs.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting this notice? Should I get the TV man? Or shall I just
    > ignore it?

    Have seen a few updates on my box to do with them adding aljazerra and
    removing TV9.

    Richard, Nov 3, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a set box and am getting the programs on it. But why do I get
    >>keep
    >>getting a notice about "program not available and removed from list"? It
    >>comes up on Prime, but I'm looking at Prime at the time and there is
    >>nothing
    >>wrong with it.
    >>Prime is 10 on my set. Is that going to change?
    >>
    >>Is Prime going to go off when we go digital, even for people with a set
    >>box?
    >>There will be lot of annoyed people if so, Prime has quite the best
    >>programs.
    >>
    >>Is anyone else getting this notice? Should I get the TV man? Or shall I
    >>just
    >>ignore it?
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > Satellite or over the air??

    Just an aerial. We are in line of sight to the Waitakeries.

    geopelia, Nov 4, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mutlley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Satellite or over the air??

    >>Just an aerial. We are in line of sight to the Waitakeries.
    >>

    > It it's over the air on digital you should have no problems. Only on
    > the sat feed has there been a channel change on Prime..

    Thank you.
    Another notice came up yesterday. about some new channels.
    I'll click around, but I expect they will all be in Chinese.

    geopelia, Nov 4, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mutlley" <> wrote in message

    >>> It it's over the air on digital you should have no problems. Only on
    >>> the sat feed has there been a channel change on Prime..

    >>Thank you.
    >>Another notice came up yesterday. about some new channels.
    >>I'll click around, but I expect they will all be in Chinese.
    >>

    > al jazeera news on CH 16 and another Maori channel i think.

    That's good, I like Al jazeera. I missed it when Triangle closed.

    geopelia, Nov 5, 2013
  6. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5204o$c18$>, geopelia
    <> wrote:

    > I've got a set box and am getting the programs on it. But why do I get keep
    > getting a notice about "program not available and removed from list"? It
    > comes up on Prime, but I'm looking at Prime at the time and there is nothing
    > wrong with it.
    > Prime is 10 on my set. Is that going to change?
    >
    > Is Prime going to go off when we go digital, even for people with a set box?
    > There will be lot of annoyed people if so, Prime has quite the best
    > programs.

    <snip>

    Prime isn't going anywhere. It's part of the Freeview group of channels
    - the actual channel number will be different depending on whether
    you're using Freeview (#10) or Sky TV (#4) to watch Prime though (not
    sure about Igloo).

    In fact more people should be able to view Prime than used to under the
    analogue signal.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/11/13 16:15, Your Name wrote:
    > In article <l5204o$c18$>, geopelia
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've got a set box and am getting the programs on it. But why do I get keep
    >> getting a notice about "program not available and removed from list"? It
    >> comes up on Prime, but I'm looking at Prime at the time and there is nothing
    >> wrong with it.
    >> Prime is 10 on my set. Is that going to change?
    >>
    >> Is Prime going to go off when we go digital, even for people with a set box?
    >> There will be lot of annoyed people if so, Prime has quite the best
    >> programs.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Prime isn't going anywhere. It's part of the Freeview group of channels
    > - the actual channel number will be different depending on whether
    > you're using Freeview (#10) or Sky TV (#4) to watch Prime though (not
    > sure about Igloo).
    >
    > In fact more people should be able to view Prime than used to under the
    > analogue signal.

    Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2013
  8. geopelia

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:02:11 +1300, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/11/13 16:15, Your Name wrote:
    >> In article <l5204o$c18$>, geopelia
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've got a set box and am getting the programs on it. But why do I get keep
    >>> getting a notice about "program not available and removed from list"? It
    >>> comes up on Prime, but I'm looking at Prime at the time and there is nothing
    >>> wrong with it.
    >>> Prime is 10 on my set. Is that going to change?
    >>>
    >>> Is Prime going to go off when we go digital, even for people with a set box?
    >>> There will be lot of annoyed people if so, Prime has quite the best
    >>> programs.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Prime isn't going anywhere. It's part of the Freeview group of channels
    >> - the actual channel number will be different depending on whether
    >> you're using Freeview (#10) or Sky TV (#4) to watch Prime though (not
    >> sure about Igloo).
    >>
    >> In fact more people should be able to view Prime than used to under the
    >> analogue signal.
    >>

    >Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.

    Prime will inevitably disappear from FTA to be given over to MySky
    subscribers.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    -Newsman-, Nov 10, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 04:34:04 GMT, (-Newsman-)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:02:11 +1300, Enkidu
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 10/11/13 16:15, Your Name wrote:

    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Prime isn't going anywhere. It's part of the Freeview group of channels
    >>> - the actual channel number will be different depending on whether
    >>> you're using Freeview (#10) or Sky TV (#4) to watch Prime though (not
    >>> sure about Igloo).
    >>>
    >>> In fact more people should be able to view Prime than used to under the
    >>> analogue signal.
    >>>

    >>Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.
    >>

    >Prime will inevitably disappear from FTA to be given over to MySky
    >subscribers.
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    That article is primarily about Bernard Hickeys opinion that FTA TV is
    slowly dying ( an I agree). There is no mention of Prime.

    --
    Crash McBash

    Crash, Nov 10, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Crash
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 04:34:04 GMT, (-Newsman-)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:02:11 +1300, Enkidu
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.
    > >>

    > >Prime will inevitably disappear from FTA to be given over to MySky
    > >subscribers.
    > >
    > >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    > That article is primarily about Bernard Hickeys opinion that FTA TV is
    > slowly dying ( an I agree). There is no mention of Prime.

    Free TV is dying largely because the morons in charge (like all
    management morons) are too busy trying to stuff their own wallets with
    money rather than provide the actual service they claim to be
    providing. They continually do idiotic things:

    - move a show mid-season
    - cancel a show mid-season
    - over-hype a show already cancelled in US / UK
    - don't play what is scheduled
    - interrupt regular shows with sports / election / etc. specials
    - put silly "informational" garbage all over the top of the shows
    - squash the credits to one side
    - fill prime time slots with repeats and "reality" TV garbage
    - ...

    and then they sit there wondering why fewer and fewer people are
    bothering to watch their channel. :-\

    Sky isn't much better - they too have silly "ghost" logos, don't play
    what is scheduled, etc.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Mutlley
    <> wrote:
    > (-Newsman-) wrote:
    > >On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:02:11 +1300, Enkidu
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>Prime is owned by Sky. If they wished they could remove it from FTA.

    > >Prime will inevitably disappear from FTA to be given over to MySky
    > >subscribers.
    > >
    > >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    > That article was dated January 2012. Rather old on no prime
    > mentioned.

    Sky bought Prime because they wanted a free-to-air channel, so it's
    very unlikely to be going anywhere in the near future.

    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Mutlley
    > <> wrote:
    >> (-Newsman-) wrote:

    >> >Prime will inevitably disappear from FTA to be given over to MySky
    >> >subscribers.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    >> That article was dated January 2012. Rather old on no prime
    >> mentioned.

    > Sky bought Prime because they wanted a free-to-air channel, so it's
    > very unlikely to be going anywhere in the near future.

    Now with computers don't most of us just watch only what TV we really like,
    or have the news etc on while we get tea?
    TV seems to have lost the importance it once had in our lives.
    Computers, radio and of course reading books have taken its place.

    All the good sports events seem to have been grabbed by Sky, anyway. (At
    extra cost!)
    But we still have Rugby, for now.

    geopelia, Nov 10, 2013
  13. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >"The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of
    >responsibilty od
    >TV1 to screen quality programmes"
    >
    >You have to first define what a "quality" program is..

    Hint ... if it has block, X, talent, chef, master, race, survivor, loser in
    the title, then it isn't. :)

    Yes, there are similar words that can be added to that list that are also
    inversely correlated with quality. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 11, 2013
  14. In article <l5p33p$6df$>, "geopelia" <> wrote:

    >All the good sports events seem to have been grabbed by Sky, anyway. (At
    >extra cost!)
    >But we still have Rugby, for now.

    Sky grabbing large quantities of the sport is a big win as far as I'm
    concerned. No, I don't have sky. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 11, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "geoff" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Your Name wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Free TV is dying largely because the morons in charge (like all
    >>> management morons) are too busy trying to stuff their own wallets with
    >>> money rather than provide the actual service they claim to be
    >>> providing. They continually do idiotic things:
    >>>
    >>> - move a show mid-season
    >>> - cancel a show mid-season
    >>> - over-hype a show already cancelled in US / UK
    >>> - don't play what is scheduled
    >>> - interrupt regular shows with sports / election / etc. specials
    >>> - put silly "informational" garbage all over the top of the shows
    >>> - squash the credits to one side
    >>> - fill prime time slots with repeats and "reality" TV garbage
    >>> - ...
    >>>
    >>> and then they sit there wondering why fewer and fewer people are
    >>> bothering to watch their channel. :-\
    >>>
    >>> Sky isn't much better - they too have silly "ghost" logos, don't play
    >>> what is scheduled, etc.

    >>The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of responsibilty
    >>od
    >>TV1 to screen quality programmes. May as well have TV2a and TV2b. Prime
    >>sort of tried to take up the slack, to a degree, but those in search of
    >>quality drama had to go to Sky.
    >>
    >>Buy Igloo now offers some of those respites.
    >>
    >>geoff
    >>

    > "The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of
    > responsibilty od
    > TV1 to screen quality programmes"
    >
    > You have to first define what a "quality" program is..

    Downton Abbey. Rome. The North America series. Wild South documentaries.
    Upstairs and Downstairs. Doctor House. Band of Brothers.
    Mad Men too, but Sky grabbed that.
    And for comedies, Dad's Army, Mash and Fawlty Towers.
    I suppose you could call the James Bond films quality comedies, too. They
    are well made and full of action, but not to be taken seriously.
    I couldn't define "quality" but I know it when I see it. Don't we all?

    But alas as long as many people prefer silly soapies producers will keep
    churning them out.
    There has to be some action between the ad breaks!

    And why shouldn't people have murders and car chases if that is what they
    enjoy?
    Even Coronation Street was good in the early days.

    TV has to cater for all tastes and all levels of intelligence.
    Those at the lower level are probably the ones who will be most influenced
    by the advertising.
    ..Programmers know that, and must keep their advertisers happy.

    geopelia, Nov 11, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5po2l$9bi$>, geopelia
    <> wrote:
    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message

    > >>The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of responsibilty
    > >>od
    > >>TV1 to screen quality programmes. May as well have TV2a and TV2b. Prime
    > >>sort of tried to take up the slack, to a degree, but those in search of
    > >>quality drama had to go to Sky.
    > >>
    > >>Buy Igloo now offers some of those respites.

    > > "The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of
    > > responsibilty od
    > > TV1 to screen quality programmes"
    > >
    > > You have to first define what a "quality" program is..

    > Downton Abbey. Rome. The North America series. Wild South documentaries.
    > Upstairs and Downstairs. Doctor House. Band of Brothers.
    > Mad Men too, but Sky grabbed that.
    > And for comedies, Dad's Army, Mash and Fawlty Towers.
    > I suppose you could call the James Bond films quality comedies, too. They
    > are well made and full of action, but not to be taken seriously.
    > I couldn't define "quality" but I know it when I see it. Don't we all?
    >
    > But alas as long as many people prefer silly soapies producers will keep
    > churning them out.
    > There has to be some action between the ad breaks!
    >
    > And why shouldn't people have murders and car chases if that is what they
    > enjoy?
    > Even Coronation Street was good in the early days.
    >
    > TV has to cater for all tastes and all levels of intelligence.
    > Those at the lower level are probably the ones who will be most influenced
    > by the advertising.

    These days TV mainly caters for the lowest denominator ... which means
    lots of cheap-to-make "reality" TV garbage for the brainless fools with
    the attenetion span of a dead goldfish. :-(

    > Programmers know that, and must keep their advertisers happy.

    What the idiot programmers don't seem to ever unerstand is that the
    viewer is also their customer ... no viewers = nobody willing to pay
    for advertising.

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, geoff
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > Free TV is dying largely because the morons in charge (like all
    > > management morons) are too busy trying to stuff their own wallets with
    > > money rather than provide the actual service they claim to be
    > > providing. They continually do idiotic things:
    > >
    > > - move a show mid-season
    > > - cancel a show mid-season
    > > - over-hype a show already cancelled in US / UK
    > > - don't play what is scheduled
    > > - interrupt regular shows with sports / election / etc. specials
    > > - put silly "informational" garbage all over the top of the shows
    > > - squash the credits to one side
    > > - fill prime time slots with repeats and "reality" TV garbage
    > > - ...
    > >
    > > and then they sit there wondering why fewer and fewer people are
    > > bothering to watch their channel. :-\
    > >
    > > Sky isn't much better - they too have silly "ghost" logos, don't play
    > > what is scheduled, etc.

    > The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of responsibilty od
    > TV1 to screen quality programmes. May as well have TV2a and TV2b. Prime
    > sort of tried to take up the slack, to a degree, but those in search of
    > quality drama had to go to Sky.
    >
    > Buy Igloo now offers some of those respites.

    Yep, the "dumbing down of TV One" is another cause to add to the list
    above.

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5p4jc$fnd$>, Bruce Sinclair
    <> wrote:
    > In article <l5p33p$6df$>, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >All the good sports events seem to have been grabbed by Sky, anyway. (At
    > >extra cost!)
    > >But we still have Rugby, for now.

    > Sky grabbing large quantities of the sport is a big win as far as I'm
    > concerned. No, I don't have sky. :) :)

    Yep, the less sport bumping the few real shows left from the schedule
    the better. :)

    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:09:12 +1300, Your Name <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, geoff
    ><> wrote:
    >> Your Name wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Free TV is dying largely because the morons in charge (like all
    >> > management morons) are too busy trying to stuff their own wallets with
    >> > money rather than provide the actual service they claim to be
    >> > providing. They continually do idiotic things:
    >> >
    >> > - move a show mid-season
    >> > - cancel a show mid-season
    >> > - over-hype a show already cancelled in US / UK
    >> > - don't play what is scheduled
    >> > - interrupt regular shows with sports / election / etc. specials
    >> > - put silly "informational" garbage all over the top of the shows
    >> > - squash the credits to one side
    >> > - fill prime time slots with repeats and "reality" TV garbage
    >> > - ...
    >> >
    >> > and then they sit there wondering why fewer and fewer people are
    >> > bothering to watch their channel. :-\
    >> >
    >> > Sky isn't much better - they too have silly "ghost" logos, don't play
    >> > what is scheduled, etc.

    >> The major thing that is killing FTA TV is the adication of responsibilty od
    >> TV1 to screen quality programmes. May as well have TV2a and TV2b. Prime
    >> sort of tried to take up the slack, to a degree, but those in search of
    >> quality drama had to go to Sky.
    >>
    >> Buy Igloo now offers some of those respites.

    >Yep, the "dumbing down of TV One" is another cause to add to the list
    >above.

    FTA TV is the business of delivering eyeballs to advertisers. Since
    its advent in NZ FTA has surrendered its pre-eminent position in this
    field. It would be interesting to talk to those that make the
    programming decisions at TVNZ and Mediaworks to see why these
    organisations seem to have meekly accepted audience loss when they
    might have been expected to fight it with 'quality' programming and
    other innovations.

    FTA TV initially took away advertising revenue from newspapers.
    Newspaper publishing over this period has changed dramatically and
    they have fought back with the DomPost in particular reporting
    increased readership in recent years.

    --
    Crash McBash

    Crash, Nov 11, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> "Your Name" <> wrote in message

    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

    >>> Sky bought Prime because they wanted a free-to-air channel, so it's
    >>> very unlikely to be going anywhere in the near future.

    >> Now with computers don't most of us just watch only what TV we really
    >> like, or have the news etc on while we get tea?
    >> TV seems to have lost the importance it once had in our lives.
    >> Computers, radio and of course reading books have taken its place.

    > There are so many other worthwhile and fulfilling things to do with one's
    > spare time than consuming content produced by others. I consider this
    > fascination we have had since the mid 20th century with consuming content
    > be the single largest cause of lack of productivity there is.
    >
    > There's no denying that such content can be entertaining, but for many it
    > has become a fully fledged past time. It seems to be what many do in their
    > evenings. To me it seems like such a waste of time and potential.

    Now we have the newsgroups and Facebook, so we can pass on our pearls of
    wisdom to the whole English speaking world,
    an improvement on the laborious old way of writing letters to the Editor.

    geopelia, Nov 11, 2013