Puzzling Flash Exposure Problem With Canon S100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mort, Jan 2, 2012.

  1. Mort

    Mort Guest

    Hi,

    While testing my new Canon S100, I came across the following exposure
    problem, which I cannot explain. (I am taking pictures for many
    decades,and am well aware of f stops, shutter speeds,and film/chip ISO
    speeds.)

    I was testing the built-in flash, using a bookcase in my study, and
    examining the focus and exposure under various conditions. On one
    picture, in P setting, I set the ISO at 200, used a medium focal length
    from its zoom range, and the picture was about 2 f stops overexposed. I
    then set the ISO to AUTO, and took the exact same picture under
    otherwise identical conditions, and its exposure was excellent, even
    though the ISO readout was 640, while the f stop and shutter speed were
    identical to the overexposed pic.

    How can this happen? I would expect ISO 640 to give almost 2 f stops
    extra exposure as compared with ISO 200, given the same f stop and
    shutter speed and distance. The battery was fully charged. My non-flash
    pix are all fine, as are most of my flash pix in non-testing circumstances.m

    Can anyone explain this to me? I would be most grateful for any helpful

    Thanks.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jan 2, 2012

  2. Mort

    Mort Guest

    wtrplnet wrote:
    > On 1/2/2012 2:58 PM, Mort wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> While testing my new Canon S100, I came across the following exposure
    >> problem, which I cannot explain. (I am taking pictures for many
    >> decades,and am well aware of f stops, shutter speeds,and film/chip ISO
    >> speeds.)
    >>
    >> I was testing the built-in flash, using a bookcase in my study, and
    >> examining the focus and exposure under various conditions. On one
    >> picture, in P setting, I set the ISO at 200, used a medium focal length
    >> from its zoom range, and the picture was about 2 f stops overexposed. I
    >> then set the ISO to AUTO, and took the exact same picture under
    >> otherwise identical conditions, and its exposure was excellent, even
    >> though the ISO readout was 640, while the f stop and shutter speed were
    >> identical to the overexposed pic.
    >>
    >> How can this happen? I would expect ISO 640 to give almost 2 f stops
    >> extra exposure as compared with ISO 200, given the same f stop and
    >> shutter speed and distance. The battery was fully charged. My non-flash
    >> pix are all fine, as are most of my flash pix in non-testing
    >> circumstances.m
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain this to me? I would be most grateful for any helpful
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mort Linder

    > Don't know if this will help, but it's worth noting. I too am a new
    > owner of the S100. If you haven't already done so download the manual
    > from the Canon web site. It is far more complete than the one that comes
    > with the camera. You may find help there.
    >
    > I'm in early testing of the camera and I haven't run into any problems
    > with it. The results you relate are indeed curious.
    >
    > /)_

    Hi,

    Thanks a lot for your reply. I did indeed download the full owners'
    manual from the Canon website. I make it a practice these days to
    download and print out manuals from electronic items, then have a
    Fedex/Kinko store bind them with tube binding, at a modest cost.

    Unfortunately, the manual offers no insight into my problem. It defies
    logic that with identical shutter speeds, f stops, focal length, and
    subject, that the lower ISO setting gives an overexposed pic while the
    higher ISO setting gives the proper exposure. This occurs both onscreen
    and in the prints, so it is not a PC screen problem.

    Inasmuch as the vast majority of my S 100 pix are excellent, I won't
    dwell upon this small problem.

    Thanks again.

    Mort
    Mort, Jan 4, 2012

  3. Mort

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 21:00:31 -0500, Mort <> wrote:
    : wtrplnet wrote:
    : > On 1/2/2012 2:58 PM, Mort wrote:
    : >> Hi,
    : >>
[...]
    : >
    : > Don't know if this will help, but it's worth noting. I too am a new
    : > owner of the S100. If you haven't already done so download the manual
    : > from the Canon web site. It is far more complete than the one that comes
    : > with the camera. You may find help there.
    : >
    : > I'm in early testing of the camera and I haven't run into any problems
    : > with it. The results you relate are indeed curious.
    : >
    : > /)_
    :
    : Hi,
    :
[...]

    Does the S100 have a focal plane shutter?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 5, 2012