    i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

    Demolitio, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Demolitio

    Guest

    "Demolitio" <> wrote:

    |>for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of the
    |>media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that at
    |>these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    |>DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    |>program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    |>though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches or
    |>anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    |>
    |>i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has a
    |>suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    |>possible).
    |>
    |>i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    |>capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    |>media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

    In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
    autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.
    --
    68 mph and 124 miles on a tank of air.
    http://www.motordeaire.com/ing/UKPressrelease.html#Eng

    , Jul 16, 2005

  3. Demolitio

    Demolitio Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Demolitio" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of

    the
    > |>media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

    that at
    > |>these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    > |>DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    > |>program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    > |>though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches

    or
    > |>anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    > |>
    > |>i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

    has a
    > |>suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    > |>possible).
    > |>
    > |>i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    > |>capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    > |>media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.
    > |>

    > In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
    > autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.
    > --
    > 68 mph and 124 miles on a tank of air.
    > http://www.motordeaire.com/ing/UKPressrelease.html#Eng

    umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
    thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.

    Demolitio, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Demolitio

    Guest

    "Demolitio" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>the
    |>that at
    |>or

    |>has a

    |>> In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
    |>> autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.

    |>umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
    |>thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.

    Check out your device manager, and make sure your CD is functioning
    properly.

    --

    , Jul 16, 2005
  5. Demolitio

    unwashed Guest

    "Demolitio" <> wrote in message
    > for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of
    > the
    > media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that
    > at
    > these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    > DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    > program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    > though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches
    > or
    > anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    >
    > i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has
    > suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    > possible).
    >
    > i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    > capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    > media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

    Just to cover the obvious, but you are ensuring you have
    inserted the disk(s) correctly with apt surface on top etc?
    Has the problem only manifested? Or has this random
    failing to detect always been asssociated with that specified
    drive? - If so I'd suspect a faulty unit?
    Have you tried the problem disks in other drives?
    Is it only a problem with specific Brand media?
    Have you tried the BenQ site for any tips?

    unwashed, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Could be the sensor inside of the drive is going bad and it is not detecting
    that a disk has been inserted.

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 16, 2005
  7. Demolitio

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:55:54 -0700, wrote:

    > "Demolitio" <> wrote:
    >

    >|><> wrote in message

    >|>the
    >|>that at
    >|>or

    >|>has a

    >|>umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
    >|>thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.
    >
    >Check out your device manager, and make sure your CD is functioning
    >properly.

    pennywise' fingers are in top gear and his brain
    is in neutral... ignore it...
    do the cross drive/disk test thing demolito said..

    Andrew, Jul 16, 2005
  8. Demolitio

    Demolitio Guest

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in message
    > Could be the sensor inside of the drive is going bad and it is not

    detecting
    > that a disk has been inserted.
    >
    > "Demolitio" <> wrote in message
    > > for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of

    > the
    > > media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

    that
    > at
    > > these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    > > DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    > > program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    > > though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches

    > or
    > > anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    > >
    > > i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

    has
    > > suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    > > possible).
    > >
    > > i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    > > capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    > > media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

    update: now it will play burned and commerical disks, but it won't detect
    blank ones. i've tried 2 different burners,both withthe same result.

    Demolitio, Jul 16, 2005
  9. Demolitio

    Demolitio Guest

    "unwashed" <> wrote in message

    > "Demolitio" <> wrote in message
    > > for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of
    > > the
    > > media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

    that
    > > at
    > > these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    > > DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    > > program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    > > though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches
    > > or
    > > anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    > >
    > > i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

    has
    > > suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    > > possible).
    > >
    > > i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    > > capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    > > media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.
    > >

    > Just to cover the obvious, but you are ensuring you have
    > inserted the disk(s) correctly with apt surface on top etc?
    > Has the problem only manifested? Or has this random
    > failing to detect always been asssociated with that specified
    > drive? - If so I'd suspect a faulty unit?
    > Have you tried the problem disks in other drives?
    > Is it only a problem with specific Brand media?
    > Have you tried the BenQ site for any tips?

    i am well aware of how the disks are positioned.... i am quite savvy in most
    computer matters.

    the problem has just recently manifested, for no reason at all.

    i've already tested it useing a completely different drive (i am now using
    an LG SuperDrive GSA-4163B), and still i get the same results.

    No, i haven't tried the discs in other drives, however, i have tried 4
    different brands, of both +R, and -R variety, and the fail to work right out
    of the box.

    and i haven't found anything relavent on the benQ website regarding this,
    although upon searching for it on Google.com, i've noticed alot of people
    complaining about this particular problem, without anybody coming to a
    solution.

    Demolitio, Jul 16, 2005
  10. Demolitio

    Guest

    "Demolitio" <> wrote:

    |>update: now it will play burned and commerical disks, but it won't detect
    |>blank ones. i've tried 2 different burners,both withthe same result.

    Could be time to punt, give ForceASPI a try
    http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
    --

    , Jul 16, 2005
  11. Demolitio

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:35:01 -0400, "Demolitio" <>
    wrote:

    >for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of the
    >media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that at
    >these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
    >DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
    >program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
    >though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches or
    >anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
    >
    >i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has a
    >suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
    >possible).
    >
    >i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
    >capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
    >media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

    Sounds like either the drive electronics or laser has an intermittent
    fault => junkyard and get a new burner

    Fortunately they are cheap nowadays < $100. When I bought my first DVD
    burner 2 years ago it was around $600 <sigh>

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 17, 2005