Puzzled ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Keith (Southend)G, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. I'm puzzled as to what happened.

    My PC is on 24/7, connected to the internet. It uploads weather data
    every 15 minutes and downloads a few minor things at set times
    (GetRight). I run AVG that scans every night starting at 1am, which
    takes about 3 to 4 hours to scan 3 disks.

    Now, this morning the computer had completely shut down with just the
    power light on. What puzzles me is had it 'crashed', say from a local
    power cut/blip then I would have expected some message recovering from
    a system error or something. But the only application, when starting
    up, that asked if I wanted to use previous tabs was Firefox.

    Nothing is obvious in the system event log, but the AVG Scan had not
    completed and this was stated. There were two virus entries moved to
    the virus vault:

    "Object name";"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies
    \system@adtech[1].txt:\adtech.de.a9245469"
    "Object name";"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies
    \system@adtech[1].txt"

    But I don't think these are the cause.

    Going by when my weather uploads stopped this happened just after
    03:00 BST.

    Any thoughts?

    Many thanks

    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net
    "Weather Home & Abroad"

    Keith (Southend)G, Apr 26, 2009

  2. On Apr 27, 12:13 am, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~>
    wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)G" <>
    >
    > | I'm puzzled as to what happened.
    >

    > | Keith (Southend)
    > |http://www.southendweather.net
    > | "Weather Home & Abroad"
    >
    > They aren't "virus entries" either, their only cookies.
    >
    > Why does your computer upload weather information ?
    > Are you a local weather station providing weather related data for your locale ?
    >
    > --
    > Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    I run an automatic weather station that has the facility to
    automatically upload to a website, but no, the minute by minute data
    isn't specifically required by anyone, but my monthly averages etc I
    send to COL.
    http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/col.html
    It's been a hobby for over thirty years now, keeps me out of
    mischief :)

    The PC didn't crash last night :) This is the first time this has
    happened for many a year.

    Thanks

    Keith (Southend)

    Keith (Southend)G, Apr 27, 2009

  3. Keith (Southend)G

    ~BD~ Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)G" <>
    >
    > Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
    >
    > | I run an automatic weather station that has the facility to
    > | automatically upload to a website, but no, the minute by minute data
    > | isn't specifically required by anyone, but my monthly averages etc I
    > | send to COL.
    > | http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/col.html
    > | It's been a hobby for over thirty years now, keeps me out of
    > | mischief :)
    >
    > | The PC didn't crash last night :) This is the first time this has
    > | happened for many a year.
    >
    > | Thanks
    >
    > | Keith (Southend)
    >
    > Cool hobby !

    Shouldn't that have been Col hobby? <grin>

    The Climatological Observers Link (COL)

    ~BD~, Apr 27, 2009