puzzled in Application manifest

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jeremy, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Got from MSDN that there's an element - assemblyIdentity in the application
    manifest which describes and uniquely identifies the application owning this
    application manifest.

    What I'm puzzled is following attributes with this element:

    1- processorArchitecture (optional), which specifies the processor, x86 for
    32-bit Windows; ia64 for 64-bit Windows. If my application needs to support
    both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows how should I specify it?

    2- type (required), which specifies the application type and must be Win32
    (not sure if it works on 64-bit Windows)
    I generated an application using Visual Studio 2005 and extract its manifest
    using mt.exe but cannot find this required attribute and the
    processorArchitecture is specified as msil

    Any advice would be appreciate!

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Hi Jeremy,

    "msil" indicates a processor-neutral architecture. All attributes of the
    assemblyIdentity element are also optional, so you can leave it out if you
    wish.

    As for the type attribute, I believe you can set that to a blank string, as
    per this MSDN reference:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...stutilities.assemblyidentity.type(VS.80).aspx

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Chicken Salad Surgeon
    Microsoft MVP

    Kevin Spencer, Dec 19, 2007

  3. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Thanks Kevin,

    It looks to the documentation is cheating me, I got it's Required and must be Win32 in lower case from: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374191(VS.85).aspx but optional from Manifest File Schema documentaion (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375635(VS.85).aspx)

    And, I can't distinguish Application Manifests and Assembly Manifest as the required elememts are all same (assembly, assemblyIdentity), so how can I tell which manifest it is if it's only contains these two elements?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Hi Jeremy,

    I must admit that I had the same confusion as you regarding this. The only
    thing I can suggest is to try using a blank string, try using "win32," and
    see which one works.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer