    didn't help. Had a friend try the site - she did not have the same problem
    so it appears to be my computer. Any ideas of something I should try?
    Thanks in advance!
    JW, May 19, 2011

  2. JW

    Mike Easter Guest

    JW wrote:
    > I'm running XP and have often done the daily puzzles on National
    > Geographic's site. All of a sudden, I cannot open any puzzles that are done
    > in a landscape picture style - it comes up with an error message saying the
    > puzzle caused an error. However, I can still open any puzzle that appears
    > in a portrait format just fine. I just updated Adobe Flash player but it
    > didn't help. Had a friend try the site - she did not have the same problem
    > so it appears to be my computer. Any ideas of something I should try?
    > Thanks in advance!

    Don't you think you should provide a specific link to a specific puzzle
    (or its page) that works and one which doesn't work so that your
    respondents don't have to try to figure out (exactly) what you are
    thinking/talking about?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 19, 2011

  3. JW was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > I'm running XP and have often done the daily puzzles on National Geographic's
    > site. All of a sudden, I cannot open any puzzles that are done in a
    > landscape picture style - it comes up with an error message saying the puzzle
    > caused an error. However, I can still open any puzzle that appears in a
    > portrait format just fine. I just updated Adobe Flash player but it didn't
    > help. Had a friend try the site - she did not have the same problem so it
    > appears to be my computer. Any ideas of something I should try?
    > Thanks in advance!

    What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? Something
    else?

    Adobe Flash Player is not fully cross-platform. There is one version
    (adaptation) for Internet Explorer, another for other browsers. If you
    downloaded and installed for the wrong browser, it will cause problems.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"
    James D Andrews, May 19, 2011
  4. JW

    Paul Guest

    JW wrote:
    > I'm running XP and have often done the daily puzzles on National
    > Geographic's site. All of a sudden, I cannot open any puzzles that are done
    > in a landscape picture style - it comes up with an error message saying the
    > puzzle caused an error. However, I can still open any puzzle that appears
    > in a portrait format just fine. I just updated Adobe Flash player but it
    > didn't help. Had a friend try the site - she did not have the same problem
    > so it appears to be my computer. Any ideas of something I should try?
    > Thanks in advance!

    I can't promise anything, but have a look here.

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player
    #SharedObjects
    macromedia.com

    Visit the contents of both of those folders. If you see any entries
    for nationalgeographic, exit your browsers, then delete the folder.

    Apparently, Flash keeps its own kind of cookies, and as far as I know,
    they're stores in folders like the ones above.

    Explorer also keeps HTML related cookies, but using the
    option in Explorer to delete the cache and cookies, should
    take care of them. I'm not aware of a mechanism to clean the
    "Macromedia pig pen". On occasion, I've cleaned it manually.

    Another option, is to right click in a Flash movie window,
    and change the "Hardware Acceleration" tick box so that
    acceleration is disabled. But this isn't likely to be
    an acceleration issue. But if you get tired of the error,
    you can give that a try.

    I tried one of the National Geographic puzzle things, and saw
    the puzzle pieces fly around. But there was no error or anything.

    Paul
    Paul, May 20, 2011