Putting the SD9 "yellow myth" to bed, a follow along RAW demo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. For those who don't work much in RAW, this workflow will do wonders with any
    camera. It is particularly important for the SD9 in intense Sun when using
    AWB. Follow along to see first hand that the SD9 "yellow problem" is simply
    a myth, perpetrated by those who simply don't understand how to work in RAW.

    "Blackjack" (a very beautiful picture of the young woman and her pet) is a
    Foveon demo pic often criticized as having exteme bright yellow skin tones.
    Go to this URL, then click on "Sample pictures by SD9"....
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/pages/Camerasb_SD9.htm#

    The Sigma sample thumbnail is yellowish. Look at the ankles and arms, and
    even the hair highlites. Now click on the thumbnail to d/l the RAW file and
    download SPP from the same website. Install SPP and open the RAW file and
    follow along to understand why the "yellow myth" happens.

    First, select Auto, and see the yellow-skin version. This can happen in
    bright sunset temp sunlight when using simple Auto processing. Ok, now
    apply the proper workflow...

    1. Set all RAW parameters to 0.0
    2. Desaturate the color to B&W by selecting -2.0 saturation.
    3. Adjust the core exposure, this is much more easily done in B&W.
    4. Fix the basic exposure first, I like about +0.1
    5. Highlites are clearly too brightly lit by the sunset, pull all the way
    back to -1.8
    6. Now more contrast is needed to compensate, bump to +1.0 or so.
    7. Shadows can now be brought up, how about +1.0
    8. A little fill to dramatically increase DR? Maybe +0.1 or +0.2 X3 Fill
    light.
    9. Check for a nice B&W exposure, only now can you...
    10. Bring in the color slowly to about -1.0.
    11. Assess WB, I started by eyedropping the white tail. I settled on just
    2C.
    12. Bring the color all the way in, it only takes about -0.6, with a proper
    core exposure.

    Done.

    Compare the proper RAW workflow to the artificially yellow demo image...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/24400603/medium Perfect skin tones and
    wonderful DR, with a very challenging subject in extreme lighting
    conditions. Note the left shoulder now has highlight detail, as well. And
    the jean's over-blues are fixed.

    There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003

  2. A proper "Woman.X3F" demo image gives you around...

    Exp = +0.2
    Con = +1.9
    Shad = +0.7
    Hi = -1.4
    Sat = -0.7
    Sharp = to taste
    X3FL = 0.4 (also to taste)

    http://www.pbase.com/image/24401725/original

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003

  3. George Preddy

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > First, select Auto, and see the yellow-skin version. This can happen
    > in bright sunset temp sunlight when using simple Auto processing.
    > Ok, now apply the proper workflow...
    >
    > 1. Set all RAW parameters to 0.0
    > 2. Desaturate the color to B&W by selecting -2.0 saturation.
    > 3. Adjust the core exposure, this is much more easily done in B&W.
    > 4. Fix the basic exposure first, I like about +0.1
    > 5. Highlites are clearly too brightly lit by the sunset, pull all
    > the way back to -1.8
    > 6. Now more contrast is needed to compensate, bump to +1.0 or so.
    > 7. Shadows can now be brought up, how about +1.0
    > 8. A little fill to dramatically increase DR? Maybe +0.1 or +0.2 X3
    > Fill light.
    > 9. Check for a nice B&W exposure, only now can you...
    > 10. Bring in the color slowly to about -1.0.
    > 11. Assess WB, I started by eyedropping the white tail. I settled
    > on just 2C.
    > 12. Bring the color all the way in, it only takes about -0.6, with a
    > proper core exposure.
    >
    > Done.

    There's a much easier way:

    1. Get a better DSLR.

    Done.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  4. "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > First, select Auto, and see the yellow-skin version. This can happen
    > > in bright sunset temp sunlight when using simple Auto processing.
    > > Ok, now apply the proper workflow...
    > >
    > > 1. Set all RAW parameters to 0.0
    > > 2. Desaturate the color to B&W by selecting -2.0 saturation.
    > > 3. Adjust the core exposure, this is much more easily done in B&W.
    > > 4. Fix the basic exposure first, I like about +0.1
    > > 5. Highlites are clearly too brightly lit by the sunset, pull all
    > > the way back to -1.8
    > > 6. Now more contrast is needed to compensate, bump to +1.0 or so.
    > > 7. Shadows can now be brought up, how about +1.0
    > > 8. A little fill to dramatically increase DR? Maybe +0.1 or +0.2 X3
    > > Fill light.
    > > 9. Check for a nice B&W exposure, only now can you...
    > > 10. Bring in the color slowly to about -1.0.
    > > 11. Assess WB, I started by eyedropping the white tail. I settled
    > > on just 2C.
    > > 12. Bring the color all the way in, it only takes about -0.6, with a
    > > proper core exposure.
    > >
    > > Done.

    > There's a much easier way:
    >
    > 1. Get a better DSLR.

    No such thing.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  5. In article <bsavh8$rc2$>,
    "George Preddy" <> wrote:

    > For those who don't work much in RAW, this workflow will do wonders with any
    > camera. It is particularly important for the SD9 in intense Sun when using
    > AWB. Follow along to see first hand that the SD9 "yellow problem" is simply
    > a myth, perpetrated by those who simply don't understand how to work in RAW.
    >
    > "Blackjack" (a very beautiful picture of the young woman and her pet) is a
    > Foveon demo pic often criticized as having exteme bright yellow skin tones.
    > Go to this URL, then click on "Sample pictures by SD9"....
    > http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/pages/Camerasb_SD9.htm#
    >
    > The Sigma sample thumbnail is yellowish. Look at the ankles and arms, and
    > even the hair highlites. Now click on the thumbnail to d/l the RAW file and
    > download SPP from the same website. Install SPP and open the RAW file and
    > follow along to understand why the "yellow myth" happens.
    >
    > First, select Auto, and see the yellow-skin version. This can happen in
    > bright sunset temp sunlight when using simple Auto processing. Ok, now
    > apply the proper workflow...
    >
    > 1. Set all RAW parameters to 0.0
    > 2. Desaturate the color to B&W by selecting -2.0 saturation.
    > 3. Adjust the core exposure, this is much more easily done in B&W.
    > 4. Fix the basic exposure first, I like about +0.1
    > 5. Highlites are clearly too brightly lit by the sunset, pull all the way
    > back to -1.8
    > 6. Now more contrast is needed to compensate, bump to +1.0 or so.
    > 7. Shadows can now be brought up, how about +1.0
    > 8. A little fill to dramatically increase DR? Maybe +0.1 or +0.2 X3 Fill
    > light.
    > 9. Check for a nice B&W exposure, only now can you...
    > 10. Bring in the color slowly to about -1.0.
    > 11. Assess WB, I started by eyedropping the white tail. I settled on just
    > 2C.
    > 12. Bring the color all the way in, it only takes about -0.6, with a proper
    > core exposure.
    >
    > Done.
    >
    > Compare the proper RAW workflow to the artificially yellow demo image...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/24400603/medium Perfect skin tones and
    > wonderful DR, with a very challenging subject in extreme lighting
    > conditions. Note the left shoulder now has highlight detail, as well. And
    > the jean's over-blues are fixed.
    >
    > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.

    LOL! No yellow problem, of course. It's all a matter of the user not
    painstakingly correcting each photograph in RAW format.

    The girl looks ill. Are you sure you got the color right? It looks to
    me like the yellow hues need be be shifted towards red. Add step 13.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 24, 2003
  6. George Preddy

    Mark M Guest

    > For those who don't work much in RAW, this workflow will do wonders with

    any
    > camera. It is particularly important for the SD9 in intense Sun when

    using
    > AWB. Follow along to see first hand that the SD9 "yellow problem" is

    simply
    > a myth, perpetrated by those who simply don't understand how to work in

    RAW.

    > "Blackjack" (a very beautiful picture of the young woman and her pet) is a
    > Foveon demo pic often criticized as having exteme bright yellow skin

    tones.
    > Go to this URL, then click on "Sample pictures by SD9"....
    > http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/pages/Camerasb_SD9.htm#
    >
    > The Sigma sample thumbnail is yellowish. Look at the ankles and arms,

    and
    > even the hair highlites. Now click on the thumbnail to d/l the RAW file

    and
    > download SPP from the same website. Install SPP and open the RAW file and
    > follow along to understand why the "yellow myth" happens.
    >
    > First, select Auto, and see the yellow-skin version. This can happen in
    > bright sunset temp sunlight when using simple Auto processing. Ok, now
    > apply the proper workflow...
    >
    > 1. Set all RAW parameters to 0.0
    > 2. Desaturate the color to B&W by selecting -2.0 saturation.
    > 3. Adjust the core exposure, this is much more easily done in B&W.
    > 4. Fix the basic exposure first, I like about +0.1
    > 5. Highlites are clearly too brightly lit by the sunset, pull all the way
    > back to -1.8
    > 6. Now more contrast is needed to compensate, bump to +1.0 or so.
    > 7. Shadows can now be brought up, how about +1.0
    > 8. A little fill to dramatically increase DR? Maybe +0.1 or +0.2 X3 Fill
    > light.
    > 9. Check for a nice B&W exposure, only now can you...
    > 10. Bring in the color slowly to about -1.0.
    > 11. Assess WB, I started by eyedropping the white tail. I settled on

    just
    > 2C.
    > 12. Bring the color all the way in, it only takes about -0.6, with a

    proper
    > core exposure.
    >
    > Done.
    >
    > Compare the proper RAW workflow to the artificially yellow demo image...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/24400603/medium Perfect skin tones and
    > wonderful DR, with a very challenging subject in extreme lighting
    > conditions. Note the left shoulder now has highlight detail, as well.

    And
    > the jean's over-blues are fixed.
    >
    > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.

    That's all very nice, George...but those of us who have commented on the
    cheese-wiz skin so often produced by the SD9 have been referring to the
    pictures YOU have posted!! -So it has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone
    screwing up RAW files, you hopeless idiot! YOU have posted evidence that
    the sickly yellow skin is not only a problem with your camera...but now,
    you've proven that EVEN AFTER YOUR 12
    (count them...T-W-E-L-V-E) step, pain-in-the-arse fix can't resurrect the
    HOPELESSLY screwed up images produced by your hopelessly screwed up Sigma.

    Mark M, Dec 24, 2003
  7. George Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    > For those who don't work much in RAW, this workflow will do wonders with

    any

    Get yourself an invitation to the real world. One day recently on a trip I
    took 77 pics, all JPGs. All were fine 'out of the box'. If I had used one
    of those things in RAW mode I would be sitting here yet trying to make the
    best of a bad job, going through all those steps. Solution is simple - get
    a proper camera in the first place.

    Alan D-W, Dec 24, 2003
  8. "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > For those who don't work much in RAW, this workflow will do wonders with

    > any
    >
    > Get yourself an invitation to the real world. One day recently on a trip I
    > took 77 pics, all JPGs.

    I'm sorry.

    > All were fine 'out of the box'. If I had used one
    > of those things in RAW mode I would be sitting here yet trying to make the
    > best of a bad job, going through all those steps. Solution is simple -

    get
    > a proper camera in the first place.

    Right, now RAW mode is unprofessional. Enjoy your P&S.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  9. "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message

    > > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.
    > >

    > LOL! No yellow problem, of course. It's all a matter of the user not
    > painstakingly correcting each photograph in RAW format.

    You have no choice but to convert a RAW image, with any camera. Your low
    standards, finding RAW mode unacceptable, is not a yellow problem.

    You can't ever get better than P&S quality without using RAW mode, the
    formats available cannot handle film quality.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  10. "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > > Compare the proper RAW workflow to the artificially yellow demo image...
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/24400603/medium Perfect skin tones and
    > > wonderful DR, with a very challenging subject in extreme lighting
    > > conditions. Note the left shoulder now has highlight detail, as well.

    > And
    > > the jean's over-blues are fixed.
    > >
    > > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.

    > That's all very nice, George...but those of us who have commented on the
    > cheese-wiz skin so often produced by the SD9 have been referring to the
    > pictures YOU have posted!!

    Then why did you all beg me to post a pic with a yellow poblem?

    > -So it has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone
    > screwing up RAW files, you hopeless idiot!

    I've just proved that to be incorrect in a way anyone, even you, can
    reproduce and see with your own eyes.

    I knew your reaction would be rage. You are cornered.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  11. George Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > All were fine 'out of the box'. If I had used one
    > > of those things in RAW mode I would be sitting here yet trying to make

    the
    > > best of a bad job, going through all those steps. Solution is simple -

    > get
    > > a proper camera in the first place.

    > Right, now RAW mode is unprofessional. Enjoy your P&S.

    As Mark M put it so succinctly and correctly - you're a hopeless idiot.
    As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per pic?

    Alan D-W, Dec 24, 2003
  12. "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > All were fine 'out of the box'. If I had used one
    > > > of those things in RAW mode I would be sitting here yet trying to make

    > the
    > > > best of a bad job, going through all those steps. Solution is

    simple -
    > > get
    > > > a proper camera in the first place.

    > > Right, now RAW mode is unprofessional. Enjoy your P&S.
    > >

    > As Mark M put it so succinctly and correctly - you're a hopeless idiot.
    > As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per pic?

    A few secs, and always with real time feedback. RAW mode is non-negotiable
    for pro claiber work. No one serious would contest that. And of course the
    point is that SD9 color is superlative, and never, ever, yellowed.

    Canon RAW software takes about 30-45 secs just load an image, with very slow
    feedback after that. Unusable.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  13. "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per pic?

    Why make a comment, then admit you didn't download any of it? How odd.

    Seems you are only interested in making uninformed and erroneous claims
    about the SD9. Nothing I can do to help someone not interested in quality
    images. But at least now you fully understand that this is a myth
    perpetrated by the willingly ignorant on the uninformed.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  14. "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per pic?

    Oh, and "my magic 12 step process" is the proper RAW workflow for all RAW
    images, not just the SD9's.

    You would know that, already, that if you were at all interested in
    professional quality images.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  15. George Preddy

    nospam Guest

    In article <bscbe6$1c0$>, George Preddy
    <> wrote:

    > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > > As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per pic?

    > Why make a comment, then admit you didn't download any of it? How odd.
    >
    > Seems you are only interested in making uninformed and erroneous claims
    > about the SD9. Nothing I can do to help someone not interested in quality
    > images. But at least now you fully understand that this is a myth
    > perpetrated by the willingly ignorant on the uninformed.

    answer his question.

    how long does it take you to process a single image?

    nospam, Dec 24, 2003
  16. "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bscbe6$1c0$>, George Preddy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > > > As a matter of interest, how long do your magic 12 steps take you per

    pic?

    > > Why make a comment, then admit you didn't download any of it? How odd.
    > >
    > > Seems you are only interested in making uninformed and erroneous claims
    > > about the SD9. Nothing I can do to help someone not interested in

    quality
    > > images. But at least now you fully understand that this is a myth
    > > perpetrated by the willingly ignorant on the uninformed.

    > answer his question.
    >
    > how long does it take you to process a single image?

    About 15-30 secs. SPP is much faster than any other RAW workflow available.
    And using RAW is the only option for pro caliber work. It is also more
    convenient, faster, and lower bandwidth than using non-RAW formats, contrary
    to popular belief.

    Now answer my question, why are you asking instead of doing and timing
    yourself? You obviously are not interested one bit in quality, or you would
    have done it, instead of whining to me more.

    Greater point: SD9 yellow myth proven completely false. You were simply
    misinformed and under educated.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003
  17. George Preddy

    Mark M Guest

    > "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > > > Compare the proper RAW workflow to the artificially yellow demo

    image...
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/image/24400603/medium Perfect skin tones and
    > > > wonderful DR, with a very challenging subject in extreme lighting
    > > > conditions. Note the left shoulder now has highlight detail, as well.

    > > And
    > > > the jean's over-blues are fixed.
    > > >
    > > > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.

    > > That's all very nice, George...but those of us who have commented on the
    > > cheese-wiz skin so often produced by the SD9 have been referring to the
    > > pictures YOU have posted!!

    > Then why did you all beg me to post a pic with a yellow poblem?
    >
    > > -So it has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone
    > > screwing up RAW files, you hopeless idiot!

    > I've just proved that to be incorrect in a way anyone, even you, can
    > reproduce and see with your own eyes.
    >
    > I knew your reaction would be rage. You are cornered.

    Let me know when you're coherent. I don't know what the heck you're talking
    about.

    Mark M, Dec 24, 2003
  18. George Preddy

    Mark M Guest

    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bscbe6$1c0$>, George Preddy
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    per
    > pic?
    > > >
    > > > Why make a comment, then admit you didn't download any of it? How

    odd.

    > > > Seems you are only interested in making uninformed and erroneous

    claims
    > > > about the SD9. Nothing I can do to help someone not interested in

    > quality
    > > > images. But at least now you fully understand that this is a myth
    > > > perpetrated by the willingly ignorant on the uninformed.

    > > answer his question.
    > >
    > > how long does it take you to process a single image?

    > About 15-30 secs. SPP is much faster than any other RAW workflow

    available.
    > And using RAW is the only option for pro caliber work. It is also more
    > convenient, faster, and lower bandwidth than using non-RAW formats,

    contrary
    > to popular belief.
    >
    > Now answer my question, why are you asking instead of doing and timing
    > yourself? You obviously are not interested one bit in quality, or you

    would
    > have done it, instead of whining to me more.
    >
    > Greater point: SD9 yellow myth proven completely false. You were simply
    > misinformed and under educated.

    Your posted cheese-skin pictures prove your statements false, George.

    Mark M, Dec 24, 2003
  19. George Preddy

    Mark M Guest

    > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > > There is no SD9 yellow problem. The myth can RIP.
    > > >

    > > LOL! No yellow problem, of course. It's all a matter of the user not
    > > painstakingly correcting each photograph in RAW format.

    > You have no choice but to convert a RAW image, with any camera. Your low
    > standards, finding RAW mode unacceptable, is not a yellow problem.
    >
    > You can't ever get better than P&S quality without using RAW mode, the
    > formats available cannot handle film quality.

    False.
    When I convert RAW files from my Canon, all I need do is let it convert
    using the white balance I used at the time. If I have to choose a different
    setting, it is usually only to accomodate an extremely difficult lighting
    situation. There is no need to try and un-do the skin-yellowing and other
    color-related disasters that your Sigma imposes on you.

    Mark M, Dec 24, 2003
  20. "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > > Greater point: SD9 yellow myth proven completely false. You were

    simply
    > > misinformed and under educated.

    > Your posted cheese-skin pictures prove your statements false, George.

    Then you should have no problem producing them.

    George Preddy, Dec 24, 2003