    writer etc, so that we can read them on all the machines

    Regards

    Pete

    Pete, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Pete wrote:
    > Hi folks, I have some photos, some on other CD's that I transferred to
    > my PC (daughters wedding and we were provided with the CD) I am
    > unable to take those photos and put them on additional CD's for other
    > folks, the original can be read in all our machines.
    >
    > So in essence how do I take photos, put them on a cd, I have a cd
    > writer etc, so that we can read them on all the machines
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    If I may ask, did you purchase reproduction rights from the wedding
    photographer? If you have the wedding professionally done and did not get
    specific rights to copy the photos, you likely do no have the legal right to
    make copies.

    It would not be too hard to make the photos difficult if not impossible
    to copy from the CD.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Pete

    YAG-ART Guest

    On 26 Nov 2004 11:42:56 -0800, (Pete) wrote:

    >Hi folks, I have some photos, some on other CD's that I transferred to
    >my PC (daughters wedding and we were provided with the CD) I am
    >unable to take those photos and put them on additional CD's for other
    >folks, the original can be read in all our machines.
    >
    >So in essence how do I take photos, put them on a cd, I have a cd
    >writer etc, so that we can read them on all the machines

    Buy additional copies from your photographer, to do otherwise is
    stealing.

    YAG-ART, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Pete

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Check out your burning softwarre.
    For example Roxio (the software I am using) asks you if you want the CD to be
    read on other computer when you press the eject button.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 27, 2004
  5. If other PCs can't read CDs that you record, your CD recorder is probably
    out of specification. I do my recording on a PC that has two CD drives of
    different kinds so I can check this for myself every time. Sometimes,
    changing the kind of blank disk you are using may do the trick.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Pete

    Skip M Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks, I have some photos, some on other CD's that I transferred to
    > my PC (daughters wedding and we were provided with the CD) I am
    > unable to take those photos and put them on additional CD's for other
    > folks, the original can be read in all our machines.
    >
    > So in essence how do I take photos, put them on a cd, I have a cd
    > writer etc, so that we can read them on all the machines
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Those photos may have been encrypted to prevent you from infringing on the
    photographer's copyright. The Flipbook Pro program that I use is just that,
    for instance. Unless you've purchased the rights to the images, it isn't
    ethical for you to do this. If you do purchase the rights, then the
    photographer will supply you with an unencrypted version.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Nov 27, 2004
  7. HRosita wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Check out your burning softwarre.
    > For example Roxio (the software I am using) asks you if you want the CD to be
    > read on other computer when you press the eject button.
    > Rosita

    Right, on some software it is called closing the CD or some such name.
    If you don't close you can read it on the machine that you used to
    burn the CD but likely won't be able to read it on another machine.
    If you can add more stuff to the CD you burned, then you know you
    didn't close the CD. Then there are some older machines that just
    won't read some CD-Rs

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    We have the rights to the photos, but I can put them on a cd, they
    copy just fine, but again when attempting to read them on another CD,
    the other puters show 0 bytes being used, yet if you do a properties
    on the CD, it was show that there is space being used on the cd, same
    amount as I copied over. I am not attempting to create a slide show.

    Thanks for the input

    Pete

    Pete, Nov 28, 2004
  9. Pete

    Big Bill Guest

    On 28 Nov 2004 06:19:08 -0800, (Pete) wrote:

    >We have the rights to the photos, but I can put them on a cd, they
    >copy just fine, but again when attempting to read them on another CD,
    >the other puters show 0 bytes being used, yet if you do a properties
    >on the CD, it was show that there is space being used on the cd, same
    >amount as I copied over. I am not attempting to create a slide show.
    >
    >Thanks for the input

    Maybe if you told us *exactly* (step by step) just how you are copying
    the image files to a CD, that would help.
    Reason I ask: usually, simply burning a CD with image files will let
    thiose files be read by another PC.
    The fact that it doesn't in your case leads me to believe you're doing
    something wrong.
    Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I can't tell you what's
    going wrong.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 28, 2004
  10. Pete

    Monroe Guest

    I'd check the attributes on the files. I suspect they have been
    altered during the transfer to the CD, not allowing you to view them.
    They are there. Copy the files from the CD to a HDD and set the
    attributes of the copied files allowing access to view.

    Monroe, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Pete

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:45:38 GMT, Monroe <> wrote:

    >I'd check the attributes on the files. I suspect they have been
    >altered during the transfer to the CD, not allowing you to view them.
    >They are there. Copy the files from the CD to a HDD and set the
    >attributes of the copied files allowing access to view.

    Usually, the only attribute that would change is to read-only (which
    makes sense on a CD).
    I don't know of any burning software that will change these otherwise,
    without going through at leadt one menu to do so.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 29, 2004
  12. Pete

    Roger Guest

    On 28 Nov 2004 06:19:08 -0800, (Pete) wrote:

    >We have the rights to the photos, but I can put them on a cd, they
    >copy just fine, but again when attempting to read them on another CD,
    >the other puters show 0 bytes being used, yet if you do a properties
    >on the CD, it was show that there is space being used on the cd, same
    >amount as I copied over. I am not attempting to create a slide show.

    As Bill said, we're short a bit of information. A step-by-step
    description might help.

    *Sometimes* if you use the copy utility in Windows it appears to do
    the copy, but only sets things up to do the copy and there are
    additional steps

    Can you read the copied CD in your own computer?
    What format?
    I'm assuming you are using CD-R and not CD + or CD R/W
    CD-R/W disks are not universally accepted between computers.

    How old is the CD drive doing the burning? If it's recent I'd see no
    problem there.

    Have you tried to copy the images from the original to a directory on
    the PC doing the copying? You mentioned copying them to your
    daughter's machine. Is this the one doing the copying?

    For me, the first step after viewing them on the CD would be to copy
    them to a directory on your PC, remove the disk and see if you can
    view them. If you can, then copy them to a CD-R using ROXIO, NERO,
    and other good copy program making sure to "close the disk". Now, try
    to view then from that CD. If you can, then see if you can view that
    CD on your daughter's machine. IF so THEN try to view them on the
    other machines. If you get all the way to the other machines. Make
    sure they are not in a proprietary format for some particular reader.
    JPG on a CD is going to be read only so they should be safe.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Nov 29, 2004
  13. ....
    > Can you read the copied CD in your own computer?
    > What format?
    > I'm assuming you are using CD-R and not CD + or CD R/W
    > CD-R/W disks are not universally accepted between computers.

    Unless you have a pretty old CD-ROM drive, CD-R/W disks are indeed
    universally
    accepted between computers. However, the various forms of Packet Writing
    (that
    try to make a CD-R/W look like an ordinary hard disk), can only be used on
    computers
    running the same Packet Writing software. I suspect that if you've seen a
    problem
    specific to CD-R/W, this is the actual issue.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]

    Dan Wojciechowski, Dec 4, 2004