putting OS on SCSI instead of IDE drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Please adjust your Time Zone. You are posting two
    hours in the future -- your TZ is set to GMT-8 .
    I believe Texas is GMT-6, yes?

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:28:52 -0800, in
    <>
    T.B. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    T.B., Mar 1, 2004

  3. °Mike°

    Mike245 Guest

    T.B. wrote:

    > Would it be better (meaning faster and/or more efficient) to have my OS (W2K
    > Pro) on the IBM/SCSI drive or the WD/IDE drive? Please let me know any and
    > all opinions on this.

    Not Really. SCSI benefits don't kick in unless there are a lot of write
    read requests coming quickly, like for a server or a multi-user system.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike245, Mar 1, 2004
  4. °Mike°

    ICee Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > your time is the one that is off...

    No, T.B., °Mike° is correct. You're posting from two hours into the
    future. I know that being near Pgh, Pa., you sometimes feel like you
    *are* in the future, but you're not there yet. You need to set your
    time zone to GMT -5 hours.

    ICee, Mar 1, 2004
  5. °Mike°

    T.B. Guest

    T.B., Mar 1, 2004
  6. °Mike°

    T.B. Guest

    the time on my computer is correct. when i download the messages from this
    forum in my news reader, the time on my messages shows proper. so what do i
    need to do?

    T.B., Mar 1, 2004
  7. °Mike°

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:45:34 +0000, °Mike° <>,wrote:

    >Please adjust your Time Zone. You are posting two
    >hours in the future -- your TZ is set to GMT-8 .

    Yell at his NTP for allowing posts into the future Mike.

    Meat-->Plow, Mar 1, 2004
  8. °Mike°

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:52:56 -0800, "T.B." <>,wrote:

    >the time on my computer is correct. when i download the messages from this
    >forum in my news reader, the time on my messages shows proper. so what do i
    >need to do?

    You really don't have to do anything except let these little boiz whine about
    something as trivial as a timestamp on a usenet post.

    Meat-->Plow, Mar 1, 2004
  9. °Mike°

    Trent C Guest

    > the time on my computer is correct. when i download the messages from
    this
    > forum in my news reader, the time on my messages shows proper. so what do

    > need to do?

    Double click on the clock in your system tray and adjust the time zone.

    Trent C, Mar 1, 2004
  10. T.B. wrote:

    > I have a Dell XPS R400. I have installed an Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW SCSI
    > controller along with an IBM Ultrastar 18ES hard drive. I also have a
    > Western Digital WD1600BB Ultra ATA/133 installed.
    >
    > Now that you have the pertinent details, my question is this:
    >
    > Would it be better (meaning faster and/or more efficient) to have my OS (W2K
    > Pro) on the IBM/SCSI drive or the WD/IDE drive? Please let me know any and
    > all opinions on this.

    Whichever gives you the best data x-fer speed (sustained), put your OS -
    typically that's where your swap file is going to be.

    You might want to make the drive 3 partitions - one for the OS, one for
    your swap file, and a third for high-volume files (video capture and the
    such).

    Meantime, lessee what the others think of that and other opinions.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Mar 1, 2004