putting my PC back together - HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004.

  1. Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time now,
    and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.

    I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
    from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
    so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
    better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a different
    CDrom back in).

    I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
    installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
    jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.

    I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the cabling,
    each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.

    How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE cable
    or two seperate ones?

    I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there are
    no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
    doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.

    Any ideas?

    Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?

    Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there, so
    it's not a bad drive.

    Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
    trying to get an answer.

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004

  2. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Brian Guest

    "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time

    now,
    > and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
    >
    > I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
    > from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
    > so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
    > better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

    different
    > CDrom back in).
    >
    > I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
    > installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
    > jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
    >
    > I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

    cabling,
    > each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
    >
    > How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

    cable
    > or two seperate ones?
    >
    > I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there

    are
    > no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
    > doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
    >
    > Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there,

    so
    > it's not a bad drive.
    >
    > Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
    > trying to get an answer.
    >
    > Linda

    Hi Linda. It doesn't matter if you use one or two ide cables... (but use one
    for now) check your jumper settings on the cdrom and set it to slave (should
    be a diagramm of the settings there somewhere).. auto detect. failing that
    go into registry, search for NOIDE and delete(if the key is there)

    Brian, May 28, 2004

  3. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Avenger© Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:06:05 GMT, "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz"
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time now,
    >and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
    >
    >I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
    >from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
    >so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
    >better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a different
    >CDrom back in).
    >
    >I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
    >installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
    >jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
    >
    >I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the cabling,
    >each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
    >
    >How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE cable
    >or two seperate ones?
    >
    >I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there are
    >no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
    >doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
    >
    >Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there, so
    >it's not a bad drive.
    >
    >Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
    >trying to get an answer.
    >
    >Linda

    You can use two devices on the one IDE channel, normally the HDD is
    set to master and CD drive set to slave. Turn off your computer first
    then check that each device is set as master/slave. Then re-boot.
    Windows should then recognize both drives. Post back and update on
    your results.
    --
    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, May 28, 2004
  4. What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that, but
    wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....

    Thanks!

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  5. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    > What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that, but
    > wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Linda
    >

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long

    time
    > > now,
    > > > and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
    > > >
    > > > I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom

    drive
    > > > from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a

    > computer,
    > > > so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want

    the
    > > > better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

    > > different
    > > > CDrom back in).
    > > >
    > > > I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a

    CDrom
    > > > installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with

    > the
    > > > jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
    > > >
    > > > I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

    > > cabling,
    > > > each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
    > > >
    > > > How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

    > > cable
    > > > or two seperate ones?
    > > >
    > > > I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says

    there
    > > are
    > > > no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them.

    It
    > > > doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
    > > >
    > > > Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in

    there,
    > > so
    > > > it's not a bad drive.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come

    > here
    > > > trying to get an answer.
    > > >
    > > > Linda
    > > >

    > > Hi Linda. It doesn't matter if you use one or two ide cables... (but use

    > one
    > > for now) check your jumper settings on the cdrom and set it to slave

    > (should
    > > be a diagramm of the settings there somewhere).. auto detect. failing

    that
    > > go into registry, search for NOIDE and delete(if the key is there)

    NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
    bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one cable!
    hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them

    Brian

    Brian, May 28, 2004
  6. Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
    'demystifying windows registry'....

    Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
    make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
    the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
    connector to the CDrom?

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  7. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    > Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
    > 'demystifying windows registry'....
    >
    > Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
    > make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
    > the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
    > connector to the CDrom?
    >
    > Linda
    >

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that,

    but
    > > > wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Linda
    > > >

    > > > "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > > time

    > > drive
    > > > computer,

    want
    > > the

    > > CDrom

    > with
    > > > the

    > IDE

    > > there

    them.
    > > It

    > > there,

    > come
    > > > here

    > use
    > > > one
    > > > (should

    failing
    > > that
    > > > >

    > > NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
    > > bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one

    cable!
    > > hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them
    > >
    > > Brian

    Try it the other way around Linda oh nad one more thing(don't know if you
    read it above)

    Check the power to the CD-ROM drive . See if the activity LED works. Try to
    open the tray (the tray will still open even if the drive hasn't been found
    by the system). If the tray doesn't open the drive does not have power;
    check the plug connection to the drive inside the case. If it doesn't work,
    try another one.. other than that i'm not sure! hope that your jumper
    settings are right.

    Also, look in the device manager if its there with a q mark next to it... if
    so get back ;)

    Brian

    Brian, May 28, 2004
  8. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Brian Guest

    "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
    > 'demystifying windows registry'....
    >
    > Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
    > make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
    > the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
    > connector to the CDrom?
    >
    > Linda
    >

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that,

    but
    > > > wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Linda
    > > >

    > > > "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > > time

    > > drive
    > > > computer,

    want
    > > the

    > > CDrom

    > with
    > > > the

    > IDE

    > > there

    them.
    > > It

    > > there,

    > come
    > > > here

    > use
    > > > one
    > > > (should

    failing
    > > that
    > > > >

    > > NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
    > > bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one

    cable!
    > > hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them
    > >
    > > Brian

    also, goto start>>run type in msconfig goto the tab system.ini and make sure
    that all drivers are ticked

    Brian

    Brian, May 28, 2004
  9. As far as the CDrom power goes,

    I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
    continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive showing
    up at all, no ! or ? at all there...

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  10. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    > As far as the CDrom power goes,
    >
    > I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
    > continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive

    showing
    > up at all, no ! or ? at all there...
    >
    > Linda
    >

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
    > > > 'demystifying windows registry'....
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I

    want
    > > > make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end

    > of
    > > > the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the

    end
    > > > connector to the CDrom?
    > > >
    > > > Linda
    > > >

    > > > "Brian" <> wrote in message

    that,
    > > but

    > is....

    Newsbeitrag

    > long

    > CDrom

    > > want

    putting

    have

    > messing
    > > > with

    > the

    > one
    > > > IDE

    > says

    > > them.

    drive?

    > in

    I'd
    > > > come

    > (but
    > > > use

    > slave

    > > failing

    there)

    > ide

    > > cable!

    > > Try it the other way around Linda oh nad one more thing(don't know if

    you
    > > read it above)
    > >
    > > Check the power to the CD-ROM drive . See if the activity LED works. Try

    > > open the tray (the tray will still open even if the drive hasn't been

    > found
    > > by the system). If the tray doesn't open the drive does not have power;
    > > check the plug connection to the drive inside the case. If it doesn't

    > work,
    > > try another one.. other than that i'm not sure! hope that your jumper
    > > settings are right.
    > >
    > > Also, look in the device manager if its there with a q mark next to

    it...
    > if
    > > so get back ;)
    > >
    > > Brian

    well the only thing i can think of is that the driver isn't getting loaded
    on a system start

    refer to my last post please.. as to the msconfig... and make sure the
    drivers are getting loaded in the sys.ini
    other than that i would do an update check with MS and install all
    updates....

    Brian, May 28, 2004
  11. Oh good thinking with the update check... I figured that the drivers would
    already be part of the XP package since the manufacturer's website said they
    would be recognized by XP... Thanks for all the help!

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  12. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Patrick Guest

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz wrote:
    > As far as the CDrom power goes,
    >
    > I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
    > continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive
    > showing up at all, no ! or ? at all there...
    >
    > Linda

    A drive light that is on permanently, can be indicative of the IDE-cable
    connector/s being connected the wrong way round. This aught not to be
    possible due to the connectors being 'keyed', however sometimes the
    connector/s may not have a 'key', thus affording possible of connector/s
    being the wrong way round.

    Patrick, May 28, 2004
  13. The cables that are on there right now don't have a blank spot on the female
    end, but it does have the notch on the edge of it, and fits by that notch
    onto the notch on the male end on the motherboard. They won't fit the other
    way around....

    In other words, the pin array is like this on the mobo:
    ........... ...........

    But the connector looks like this on the male end:

    If it weren't for the 'notch' on the plastic edge of the connector that fits
    into a 'notch' cut into the edge of the slot itself, it could be reversed,
    but it can't fit the other way around.

    Linda

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  14. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Brian Guest

    "Patrick" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz wrote:
    > > As far as the CDrom power goes,
    > >
    > > I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
    > > continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive
    > > showing up at all, no ! or ? at all there...
    > >
    > > Linda

    > A drive light that is on permanently, can be indicative of the IDE-cable
    > connector/s being connected the wrong way round. This aught not to be
    > possible due to the connectors being 'keyed', however sometimes the
    > connector/s may not have a 'key', thus affording possible of connector/s
    > being the wrong way round.

    good one there never thought of that but it remains a possibility :)

    Brian

    Brian, May 28, 2004
  15. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Patrick Guest

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz wrote:
    > The cables that are on there right now don't have a blank spot on the
    > female end, but it does have the notch on the edge of it, and fits by
    > that notch onto the notch on the male end on the motherboard. They
    > won't fit the other way around....
    >
    > In other words, the pin array is like this on the mobo:
    > .......... ...........
    >
    > But the connector looks like this on the male end:
    >
    > If it weren't for the 'notch' on the plastic edge of the connector
    > that fits into a 'notch' cut into the edge of the slot itself, it
    > could be reversed, but it can't fit the other way around.
    >
    > Linda

    OK!, if all three connectors have 'bumps' on them that fit into the three
    'notches' then they must be correct (unless cable is 'homemade'
    (incorrectly)).

    Are any of the pins bent or broken?

    Are you sure that one device is set (with jumpers) as 'Master', and the
    other as 'Slave'?

    Does the IDE cable (by any chance) have a part of one of the wires 'cut
    away', (as in iether of these pictures);
    http://www.unixwiz.net/images/ide-cable-select-easy.gif
    or; http://www.unixwiz.net/images/ide-cable-select-hard.gif
    If so, then then it would be a CSel (Cable-Select) IDE-cable, thus requiring
    both drives to be jumpered for CSel.

    Patrick, May 28, 2004
  16. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Patty Guest

    Keep your fingers out of the PC

    Patty, May 28, 2004
  17. I'm surprised a smart-ass answer was so long in coming to this thread.

    Wow, take pride in yourself.

    Linda

    NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz, May 28, 2004
  18. NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz

    Steven Lee Guest

    If you have AIM or MSN I can help you..

    Hit me up on Aim at: KillerOfDevil
    MSN:
    or Yahoo: DeathByFight

    Steven Lee, May 28, 2004
  19. OK Linda it's easy to get confused.

    The first thing is that the HDD jumpers should be set to 'master' or
    'primary'. The fact that your computer is booting up suggest that this is
    probably already the case.

    Now if the CD drive is on the same IDE bus as the HDD then the jumpers for
    it should be set to 'slave' or 'secondary'

    If the CD drive is on the second IDE bus and there is nothing else on that
    bus then set the jumper(s) to 'secondary' or 'slave'

    If it is not clear what the jumper settings represent on the drives, then a
    visit to the manufactures web site usually can sort that one out.

    I hope this helps,

    Paul

    Paul McCredie, May 29, 2004
  20. Re: putting my PC back together - HELP! Wrong answer

    Sorry Linda,

    I should have said that if the CD drive was on an IDE bus on its own the
    jumpers should be set to Master/ Primary NOT Slave/Secondary as in my

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Paul

    Paul McCredie, May 29, 2004