    files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.
    Mike C, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Mike C

    Terence Guest

    On Feb 20, 10:20 am, "Mike C" <> wrote:
    > I have had a hard time putting .avi on a DVD. A hard time meaning I
    > can do it, but the re-encoding takes forever. What I have been doing,
    > and it works great is use Nero to put the .AVI to a Video CD. They
    > work fine in my player and can be generated in a matter of minutes.
    >
    > My question is, is there a similar way to quickly put multiple avi
    > files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    > most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    > means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.

    By .AVI do you mean divx/xvid? The simplest thing to do is simply burn
    the .avi files directly onto a dvd disc and use a divx-capable player.
    Terence, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Mike C

    Stuart Guest

    "Mike C" <> wrote in message
    >I have had a hard time putting .avi on a DVD. A hard time meaning I
    > can do it, but the re-encoding takes forever. What I have been doing,
    > and it works great is use Nero to put the .AVI to a Video CD. They
    > work fine in my player and can be generated in a matter of minutes.
    >
    > My question is, is there a similar way to quickly put multiple avi
    > files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    > most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    > means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.

    There are 2 ways you can approach this task
    1. simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can
    play it in any modern DVD player that is DivX or Xvid capable.

    or

    2. Author a DVD using programs like NeroVisionExpress or my favourite for
    this type of episodic compilation VSO ConvertXtoDVD. Simply add each file as
    a separate title and away you go - on my system a 3 hour compilation takes
    about 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. ConvertXtoDVD allows for a simple bmp
    or jpg backdrop for the menu and you can select chapters based on a every x
    minutes etc.
    Stuart, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Mike C

    Stuart Guest

    "Stuart" <stuart€@whodunnit8.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike C" <> wrote in message
    >>I have had a hard time putting .avi on a DVD. A hard time meaning I
    >> can do it, but the re-encoding takes forever. What I have been doing,
    >> and it works great is use Nero to put the .AVI to a Video CD. They
    >> work fine in my player and can be generated in a matter of minutes.
    >>
    >> My question is, is there a similar way to quickly put multiple avi
    >> files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    >> most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    >> means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.
    >>

    > There are 2 ways you can approach this task
    > 1. simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can
    > play it in any modern DVD player that is DivX or Xvid capable.
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2. Author a DVD using programs like NeroVisionExpress or my favourite for
    > this type of episodic compilation VSO ConvertXtoDVD. Simply add each file
    > as a separate title and away you go - on my system a 3 hour compilation
    > takes about 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. ConvertXtoDVD allows for a
    > simple bmp or jpg backdrop for the menu and you can select chapters based
    > on a every x minutes etc.

    simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can

    typo should read DVD-R etc
    Stuart, Feb 21, 2007
  5. Mike C

    Mike C Guest

    On Feb 20, 6:51 pm, "Stuart" <stuart€@whodunnit8.com> wrote:
    > "Mike C" <> wrote in message

    > >I have had a hard time putting .avi on a DVD. A hard time meaning I
    > > can do it, but the re-encoding takes forever. What I have been doing,
    > > and it works great is use Nero to put the .AVI to a Video CD. They
    > > work fine in my player and can be generated in a matter of minutes.

    > > My question is, is there a similar way to quickly put multiple avi
    > > files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    > > most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    > > means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.

    > There are 2 ways you can approach this task
    > 1. simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can
    > play it in any modern DVD player that is DivX or Xvid capable.
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2. Author a DVD using programs like NeroVisionExpress or my favourite for
    > this type of episodic compilation VSO ConvertXtoDVD. Simply add each file as
    > a separate title and away you go - on my system a 3 hour compilation takes
    > about 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. ConvertXtoDVD allows for a simple bmp
    > or jpg backdrop for the menu and you can select chapters based on a every x
    > minutes etc.

    Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    compatible DVDs).
    Mike C, Feb 21, 2007
  6. Mike C

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Feb 20, 6:51 pm, "Stuart" <stuart=E2=82=> wrote:
    > > "Mike C" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have had a hard time putting .avi on a DVD. A hard time meaning I
    > > > can do it, but the re-encoding takes forever. What I have been doing,
    > > > and it works great is use Nero to put the .AVI to a Video CD. They
    > > > work fine in my player and can be generated in a matter of minutes.

    > > > My question is, is there a similar way to quickly put multiple avi
    > > > files on a DVD to play on a newer dvd player? The way I figure it,
    > > > most TV shows in AVI format (w/o commercials) are around 350MB. Than
    > > > means I should be able to fit at least 10-15 on a DVD.

    > > There are 2 ways you can approach this task
    > > 1. simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can
    > > play it in any modern DVD player that is DivX or Xvid capable.
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2. Author a DVD using programs like NeroVisionExpress or my favourite for
    > > this type of episodic compilation VSO ConvertXtoDVD. Simply add each file=

    > as
    > > a separate title and away you go - on my system a 3 hour compilation takes
    > > about 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. ConvertXtoDVD allows for a simple bmp
    > > or jpg backdrop for the menu and you can select chapters based on a every=

    > > minutes etc.

    > Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    > must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    > cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    > compatible DVDs).

    You don't have to buy any software, there's freeware/shareware out there
    that will convert AVI files to MPEG-2 files and author a DVD for you.
    VideoHelp.com has lots of info on various conversions, but this one:

    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122

    is specific to one of the easier-to-use conversion utilities, Avi2DVD.
    You can ignore the parts concerning subtitles and menus if you don't
    plan to create those for your DVD.

    It does take quite a long time (and pretty much maxes out your CPU) to
    do these kinds of conversions, especially if you have an older computer.
    I just converted a 1.3GB AVI this weekend using Avi2DVD; the result was
    a 4.2GB DVD-R that plays just fine in my DVD player. The conversion and
    authoring took 19 1/2 hours with an AMD Athlon 1700XP CPU and 1GB of
    RAM; burning to DVD-R using Nero took another hour or so.

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Feb 21, 2007
  7. Mike C

    Mike C Guest

    On Feb 21, 1:06 pm, Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Feb 20, 6:51 pm, "Stuart" <stuart=E2=> wrote:
    > > > "Mike C" <> wrote in message

    > > > There are 2 ways you can approach this task
    > > > 1. simply burn the avi files as DATA on to a DVCD-R or +R and then you can
    > > > play it in any modern DVD player that is DivX or Xvid capable.

    > > > or

    > > > 2. Author a DVD using programs like NeroVisionExpress or my favourite for
    > > > this type of episodic compilation VSO ConvertXtoDVD. Simply add each file=

    > > as
    > > > a separate title and away you go - on my system a 3 hour compilation takes
    > > > about 1 hour 10 minutes to complete. ConvertXtoDVD allows for a simple bmp
    > > > or jpg backdrop for the menu and you can select chapters based on a every=

    > > > minutes etc.

    > > Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    > > must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    > > cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    > > compatible DVDs).

    > You don't have to buy any software, there's freeware/shareware out there
    > that will convert AVI files to MPEG-2 files and author a DVD for you.
    > VideoHelp.com has lots of info on various conversions, but this one:
    >
    > http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122
    >
    > is specific to one of the easier-to-use conversion utilities, Avi2DVD.
    > You can ignore the parts concerning subtitles and menus if you don't
    > plan to create those for your DVD.
    >
    > It does take quite a long time (and pretty much maxes out your CPU) to
    > do these kinds of conversions, especially if you have an older computer.
    > I just converted a 1.3GB AVI this weekend using Avi2DVD; the result was
    > a 4.2GB DVD-R that plays just fine in my DVD player. The conversion and
    > authoring took 19 1/2 hours with an AMD Athlon 1700XP CPU and 1GB of
    > RAM; burning to DVD-R using Nero took another hour or so.
    >
    > Dave

    I installed AvitoDVD. As far as I can see, it allows you to select
    one .AVI, not multiple as input.
    Mike C, Feb 22, 2007
  8. Mike C

    dgates Guest

    On 21 Feb 2007 16:27:17 -0800, "Mike C" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 21, 1:06 pm, Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > as

    >> > Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    >> > must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    >> > cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    >> > compatible DVDs).

    >> You don't have to buy any software, there's freeware/shareware out there
    >> that will convert AVI files to MPEG-2 files and author a DVD for you.
    >> VideoHelp.com has lots of info on various conversions, but this one:
    >>
    >> http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122
    >>
    >> is specific to one of the easier-to-use conversion utilities, Avi2DVD.
    >> You can ignore the parts concerning subtitles and menus if you don't
    >> plan to create those for your DVD.
    >>
    >> It does take quite a long time (and pretty much maxes out your CPU) to
    >> do these kinds of conversions, especially if you have an older computer.
    >> I just converted a 1.3GB AVI this weekend using Avi2DVD; the result was
    >> a 4.2GB DVD-R that plays just fine in my DVD player. The conversion and
    >> authoring took 19 1/2 hours with an AMD Athlon 1700XP CPU and 1GB of
    >> RAM; burning to DVD-R using Nero took another hour or so.
    >>
    >> Dave

    >I installed AvitoDVD. As far as I can see, it allows you to select
    >one .AVI, not multiple as input.

    If a fella wanted to download entire seasons of his favorite TV show,
    quickly burn them all as data to a DVD-R and just watch 'em like that,
    he could do a lot worse than to make a one time purchase of a DVD
    player that'd play them discs. $50 to $70 would get him what he
    needed.
    dgates, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Mike C

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Feb 21, 1:06 pm, Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > > > as

    > > > Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    > > > must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    > > > cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    > > > compatible DVDs).

    > > You don't have to buy any software, there's freeware/shareware out there
    > > that will convert AVI files to MPEG-2 files and author a DVD for you.
    > > VideoHelp.com has lots of info on various conversions, but this one:
    > >
    > > http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122
    > >
    > > is specific to one of the easier-to-use conversion utilities, Avi2DVD.
    > > You can ignore the parts concerning subtitles and menus if you don't
    > > plan to create those for your DVD.
    > >
    > > It does take quite a long time (and pretty much maxes out your CPU) to
    > > do these kinds of conversions, especially if you have an older computer.
    > > I just converted a 1.3GB AVI this weekend using Avi2DVD; the result was
    > > a 4.2GB DVD-R that plays just fine in my DVD player. The conversion and
    > > authoring took 19 1/2 hours with an AMD Athlon 1700XP CPU and 1GB of
    > > RAM; burning to DVD-R using Nero took another hour or so.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > I installed AvitoDVD. As far as I can see, it allows you to select
    > one .AVI, not multiple as input.

    You can do it, but AFAIK it's not possible to keep them as separate
    files (but it will insert chapter stops every five minutes by default
    unless you specify otherwise). You have to put all the files to be
    converted into a directory on your C: drive (for some reason, it
    frequently doesn't display any audio stream selection options if they're
    on another drive) and name them something like xxxxxxCD1.avi,
    xxxxxxCD2.avi, etc. Then you select xxxxxxCD1.avi as the input and it
    will join all the other files together into a single file in the order
    you numbered them before beginning the conversion. And it is very picky
    concerning the filenames - if you have any other characters in them
    other than numbers and letters, it will probably give you an error
    message that it can't proceed.

    That said, it performed admirably once I worked out the few kinks I ran
    into, but I think if I were going to have to be able to play avis on a
    DVD player regularly, I'd just go ahead and buy another cheap player
    that could handle them in their native format. Or one of the various
    devices that allows you to stream video content from your PC across a
    wireless network to your TV, bypassing the DVD player entirely.

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Mike C

    Stuart Guest

    "Mike C" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 21, 1:06 pm, Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > as

    >> > Burning the .avi files as data to the DVD didn't work. My DVD player
    >> > must not support Divx. I might just get a new one since they are so
    >> > cheap now (cheaper to buy a new DVD player than the software to create
    >> > compatible DVDs).

    >> You don't have to buy any software, there's freeware/shareware out there
    >> that will convert AVI files to MPEG-2 files and author a DVD for you.
    >> VideoHelp.com has lots of info on various conversions, but this one:
    >>
    >> http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=298122
    >>
    >> is specific to one of the easier-to-use conversion utilities, Avi2DVD.
    >> You can ignore the parts concerning subtitles and menus if you don't
    >> plan to create those for your DVD.
    >>
    >> It does take quite a long time (and pretty much maxes out your CPU) to
    >> do these kinds of conversions, especially if you have an older computer.
    >> I just converted a 1.3GB AVI this weekend using Avi2DVD; the result was
    >> a 4.2GB DVD-R that plays just fine in my DVD player. The conversion and
    >> authoring took 19 1/2 hours with an AMD Athlon 1700XP CPU and 1GB of
    >> RAM; burning to DVD-R using Nero took another hour or so.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > I installed AvitoDVD. As far as I can see, it allows you to select
    > one .AVI, not multiple as input.

    Are you sure you can't add the files as separate Titles? Generally these
    programs don'y allow you to say hold the shift key down while you select
    multiple files ala Windows files. You add a title and then go back and add
    another title etc etc, that's how VSO COnvertXtoDVD works and
    NeroVisionExpress etc...

    Stuart, Feb 22, 2007