Putting a SBS server into a Windows 2003 environment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Pascal Duchemin, May 7, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    Yes, you read the subject correctly. I am planning to put a SBS server
    into an already existing environment that is ALL windows 2003 servers
    into a 2003 domain.

    I have been asked to look at the possibility of re-architecture a system
    where we would downsize the number of servers and put a SBS box instead.
    Needless to say that I am a little skeptic about the idea, but I am not
    the one making decisions.

    Based on the little research I made it seems that an SBS box needs to be
    the root of its forest.
    And it cannot trust another forest either.
    Is this correct ?

    HOW CAN I PUT this new SBS box into my existing domain then ???

    Are there any other "cons" that you guys might see into doing this ?
    The only "pros" my manager is seeing is that the cost of Exchange 2007 +
    Windows 2003 is much more expensive than SBS. AND licensing for Backup
    Exec is much much more expensive when going full versions of Windows
    than SBS.

    Thanks
    Pascal Duchemin, May 7, 2007

  2. Pascal Duchemin

    kpg Guest

    Pascal Duchemin <> wrote in news:463F91DB.1040607
    @dorseyinc.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Yes, you read the subject correctly. I am planning to put a SBS server
    > into an already existing environment that is ALL windows 2003 servers
    > into a 2003 domain.
    >

    > I have been asked to look at the possibility of re-architecture a system
    > where we would downsize the number of servers and put a SBS box instead.
    > Needless to say that I am a little skeptic about the idea, but I am not
    > the one making decisions.
    >

    > Based on the little research I made it seems that an SBS box needs to be
    > the root of its forest.
    > And it cannot trust another forest either.
    > Is this correct ?
    >
    > HOW CAN I PUT this new SBS box into my existing domain then ???
    >

    > Are there any other "cons" that you guys might see into doing this ?
    > The only "pros" my manager is seeing is that the cost of Exchange 2007 +
    > Windows 2003 is much more expensive than SBS. AND licensing for Backup
    > Exec is much much more expensive when going full versions of Windows
    > than SBS.
    >
    > Thanks

    did you see this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453

    or this:

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/10/05/69035.aspx
    kpg, May 7, 2007

  3. Pascal Duchemin

    Consultant Guest

    Build it as its own forest, create a trust, migrate accounts, decommission
    the old forest

    Consultant, May 7, 2007
  4. Pascal Duchemin

    Kurt Guest

    Consultant wrote:
    > Build it as its own forest, create a trust, migrate accounts, decommission
    > the old forest
    >
    > "Pascal Duchemin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Yes, you read the subject correctly. I am planning to put a SBS server
    >> into an already existing environment that is ALL windows 2003 servers into
    >> a 2003 domain.
    >>

    >> I have been asked to look at the possibility of re-architecture a system
    >> where we would downsize the number of servers and put a SBS box instead.
    >> Needless to say that I am a little skeptic about the idea, but I am not
    >> the one making decisions.
    >>

    >> Based on the little research I made it seems that an SBS box needs to be
    >> the root of its forest.
    >> And it cannot trust another forest either.
    >> Is this correct ?
    >>
    >> HOW CAN I PUT this new SBS box into my existing domain then ???
    >>

    >> Are there any other "cons" that you guys might see into doing this ?
    >> The only "pros" my manager is seeing is that the cost of Exchange 2007 +
    >> Windows 2003 is much more expensive than SBS. AND licensing for Backup
    >> Exec is much much more expensive when going full versions of Windows than
    >> SBS.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    I thought you couldn't create trusts on SBS.
    Kurt, May 8, 2007
  5. Thanks a lot for the links!

    I really didn't think it was somewhat "easily" doable.

    Pascal Duchemin, May 8, 2007
  6. Pascal Duchemin

    kpg Guest

    Pascal Duchemin <> wrote in

    > Thanks a lot for the links!
    >
    > I really didn't think it was somewhat "easily" doable.

    It's not easy - it's Microsoft!

    kp "I should work in marketing" g
    kpg, May 8, 2007
  7. Pascal Duchemin

    Consultant Guest

    havent tried

    Consultant, May 8, 2007
  8. I'm not an MCSE but I know for a fact you can not create trusts on SBS.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBHb3NzZXR0?=, May 15, 2007
  9. Pascal Duchemin

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael Gossett piffled away vaguely:

    > I'm not an MCSE but I know for a fact you can not create trusts on SBS.

    Actually you can but it breaks the EULA.

    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, May 16, 2007
  10. Pascal Duchemin

    Consultant Guest

    ha ha, so much for knowing for a fact

    Consultant, May 16, 2007
  11. Pascal Duchemin

    kpg Guest

    catwalker63 <> wrote in news:0pSdnfvPc-
    :

    > Michael Gossett piffled away vaguely:
    >
    >> I'm not an MCSE but I know for a fact you can not create trusts on SBS.
    >>

    > Actually you can but it breaks the EULA.

    I have so many broken EULAs, I just keep 'em in a big box out
    in the garage. I always tell myself that one day I'm gonna
    clean 'em up and build something out of 'em, maybe decoupage
    a table or something. It's such a waste, though, they really
    shouldn't make those things so dang flimsy.
    kpg, May 16, 2007
  12. Pascal Duchemin

    Consultant Guest

    Enough Using Lame Agreements