    Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object and paste
    into word as something I can float with text around it.

    Any ideas?
    Richard, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Richard said the following on 29/04/2005 11:23 p.m.:
    > I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >
    > I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word document,
    > but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items scattered around in
    > a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >
    > Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object and
    > paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    While possibly not much help to you what I do is read the
    PDF into Photoshop and then output it to JPG. It creates a
    non editable image but it goes into word nicely.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
    Collector»NZ, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Richard said the following on 29/04/2005 11:23 p.m.:
    >
    >> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >>
    >> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
    >> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
    >> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >>
    >> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object
    >> and paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > While possibly not much help to you what I do is read the PDF into
    > Photoshop and then output it to JPG. It creates a non editable image but
    > it goes into word nicely.

    If you dont have photoshop, ghostscript will convert pdf to postscript which may
    be more useful.
    Roger_Nickel, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >
    > I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word document,
    > but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items scattered around in
    > a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >
    > Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object and
    > paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    pdf2ps which is part of the Ghostscript suite will convert PDF to postscript and
    from there you can get it into a CAD package or into Graphicsmagick
    Roger_Nickel, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Richard

    phstpok Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >>
    >> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
    >> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
    >> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >>
    >> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object
    >> and paste into word as something I can float with text around it.

    http://www.pdftoall.com/

    Rob
    phstpok, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > While possibly not much help to you what I do is read the PDF into
    > Photoshop and then output it to JPG. It creates a non editable image but
    > it goes into word nicely.

    Unfortunatly thats going to be as bad as the screenshot method - perhaps a
    little better as I will be able to do it at higher res.

    It seems the gradieants all print out of whack when doing it as an image in word.
    Richard, Apr 30, 2005
  7. Richard

    Gordon Guest

    Re: Putting a page of a PDF file into a word doc (NOT screenshotting it)

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:23:41 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.

    FFS, the P in PDf does not mean this.

    Every heard of cows? as Goldestien has often asked on the TV air waves.

    STF, a PDF is a stand alone document which one may attach to ones own
    document if the desire should so arrive.

    Appendix (Warning FLW)

    FFS stands for For Fucks Sake
    STF stands for Shit The ****
    PDF Portable document file
    FLW Four letter word(s)
    Gordon, Apr 30, 2005
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:23:41 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >

    >>I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.

    > FFS, the P in PDf does not mean this.
    >
    > Every heard of cows? as Goldestien has often asked on the TV air waves.
    >
    > STF, a PDF is a stand alone document which one may attach to ones own
    > document if the desire should so arrive.
    >
    > Appendix (Warning FLW)
    >
    > FFS stands for For Fucks Sake
    > STF stands for Shit The ****
    > PDF Portable document file
    > FLW Four letter word(s)

    I would have to ask that you try again in english this time.
    Richard, Apr 30, 2005
  9. Richard

    Impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >
    > I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
    > document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
    > scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >
    > Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object
    > and paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly, as
    you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically any
    format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off project
    you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to consider
    taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or Omnipage Pro,
    versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and pay the $10 or so to
    get it done right.
    Impossible, Apr 30, 2005
  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Impossible wrote:

    > The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly, as
    > you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically any
    > format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off project
    > you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to consider
    > taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or Omnipage Pro,
    > versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and pay the $10 or so to
    > get it done right.

    A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.

    I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then copy and paste
    special that as an acrobat object, and doubleclicking on the pasted item opens
    acrobat so I can edit the page, but both onscreen and when printing it, its a
    bitmap so all the small fonts are illedgable.

    Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is trashed.
    Richard, May 1, 2005
  11. Richard

    Impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >
    >> The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly, as
    >> you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically any
    >> format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off
    >> project you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to
    >> consider taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or
    >> Omnipage Pro, versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and pay
    >> the $10 or so to get it done right.

    > A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
    >
    > I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then copy
    > and paste special that as an acrobat object, and doubleclicking on
    > the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the page, but both
    > onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all the small fonts
    > are illedgable.
    >
    > Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
    > trashed.

    Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
    some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will do
    exactly what you want
    Impossible, May 1, 2005
  12. Richard

    Impossible Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly,
    >>> as you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically
    >>> any format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off
    >>> project you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to
    >>> consider taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or
    >>> Omnipage Pro, versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and
    >>> pay the $10 or so to get it done right.

    >> A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
    >>
    >> I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then
    >> copy and paste special that as an acrobat object, and
    >> doubleclicking on the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the
    >> page, but both onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all
    >> the small fonts are illedgable.
    >>
    >> Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
    >> trashed.

    > Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
    > some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
    > do exactly what you want

    To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
    Word:

    Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)
    Impossible, May 1, 2005
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>>A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
    >>>
    >>>I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then
    >>>copy and paste special that as an acrobat object, and
    >>>doubleclicking on the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the
    >>>page, but both onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all
    >>>the small fonts are illedgable.
    >>>
    >>>Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
    >>>trashed.

    >>Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
    >>some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
    >>do exactly what you want

    > To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
    > Word:
    >
    > Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)

    And if I save it as a gif or any bitmapped format, it ends up looking like arse
    because the text is small. I think I am just going to have to mess around with
    putting the paper thru the printer multiple times to get the result I need.
    Richard, May 1, 2005
  14. Richard

    Impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>>Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
    >>>some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
    >>>do exactly what you want

    >> To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
    >> Word:
    >>
    >> Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)

    > And if I save it as a gif or any bitmapped format, it ends up
    > looking like arse because the text is small. I think I am just going
    > to have to mess around with putting the paper thru the printer
    > multiple times to get the result I need.

    Just save the file as a single-page pdf. Insert. Re-size as you
    please.
    Impossible, May 1, 2005
  15. Richard

    Wombus Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >
    > I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word document,
    > but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items scattered around in
    > a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >
    > Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object and
    > paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as TIFF
    image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour and
    greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty fine to
    me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints beautifully.
    Wombus, May 2, 2005
  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Wombus wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >>
    >> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
    >> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
    >> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >>
    >> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object
    >> and paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as TIFF
    > image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour and
    > greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty fine to
    > me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints beautifully.

    Even when I tried it at something horriffic like 4000x6000 it still didnt look
    anything like when printed from acrobat, and made the word doc huge. I ended up
    just simply popping the page thru twice, once in word for the text, and once
    from acrobat for the PDF with the margins changed to get it roughly in the right
    place and then tweeking an empty text box in word to keep the words off it.
    Richard, May 3, 2005
  17. Richard

    Impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Wombus wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
    >>> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
    >>> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
    >>>
    >>> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector
    >>> object and paste into word as something I can float with text
    >>> around it.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as
    >> TIFF image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour
    >> and greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty
    >> fine to me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints
    >> beautifully.

    > Even when I tried it at something horriffic like 4000x6000 it still
    > didnt look anything like when printed from acrobat, and made the
    > word doc huge. I ended up just simply popping the page thru twice,
    > once in word for the text, and once from acrobat for the PDF with
    > the margins changed to get it roughly in the right place and then
    > tweeking an empty text box in word to keep the words off it.

    Hard to figure the problems you had inserting a page extracted and
    saved by Acrobat itself. This is a pretty common task. For future
    reference, you might want to get someone experienced with Acrobat (and
    Word) to walk you through the process, just in case you missed
    something inadvertently.
    Impossible, May 3, 2005