Put a notebook's hard drive in a desktop?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Corliss, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353

    What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
    my hard drive since the drive is failing.

    My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    drive up to my desktop computer?

    TIA for any help.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 18, 2007

  2. John Corliss

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

    > Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    > from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    > inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    > DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >
    > What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
    > my hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >
    > My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    > drive up to my desktop computer?
    >
    > TIA for any help.

    As far as I know you should be able to find an adaptor which plugs into a
    PC IDE cable on one side and into the notebook HD on the other. Try google
    (something like 'IDE notebook hard drive adapter')

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Apr 18, 2007

  3. John Corliss

    EricP Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is this possible?

    I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
    little drive.

    EricP, Apr 19, 2007
  4. John Corliss

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:17:19 +0000, EricP wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this possible?

    > I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
    > little drive.

    Many 2.5" adapters connect to a standard power connector. I have several
    of them for ghosting laptops to other drives.

    A 2.5" laptop drive adapter is all that's needed.

    *** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

    Leythos, Apr 19, 2007
  5. "John Corliss" <> wrote in message
    > Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    > from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    > inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    > DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >
    > What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
    > hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >
    > My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    > drive up to my desktop computer?
    >
    > TIA for any help.
    >
    > --
    > John Corliss

    If your objective is to get the data off your failing NB HD, seems to me
    that it would be easier to either hook an external HD to the NB and move
    your data or cable the NB to your desktop. There are a variety of
    programs/cables to do that depending on what kind of ports the NB has.

    J. H. Holliday, Apr 19, 2007
  6. John Corliss

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    > from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    > inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    > DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >
    > What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
    > hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >
    > My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    > drive up to my desktop computer?

    Yes, as Aardvark stated, there is an adapter for that - kinda like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203012

    Very economical.

    An alternate suggestion would be a USB external enclosure. If the notebook
    computer is being "retired" and the drive doesn't need to be put back, you
    can turn the drive into external portable storage:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=Hard Drive Enclosure&bop=And&Order=PRICE

    Both items can also be easily found elsewhere, even eBay. Newegg.com has
    been an excellent source of products for myself any numerous others who post
    to this newsgroup - good service, easy to return/exchange products, etc. (I
    endorse them only as a customer - I have no affiliation with them beyond
    that.)

    WhzzKdd, Apr 19, 2007
  7. John Corliss

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

    > s this possible?

    2.5" to 3.5" adapter. google it.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2007
  8. get an external usb case for it, geezzzzzzzz

    Christopher Syn, Apr 19, 2007
  9. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >
    >> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    >> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    >> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    >> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >>
    >> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
    >> my hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >>
    >> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    >> drive up to my desktop computer?
    >>
    >> TIA for any help.

    > As far as I know you should be able to find an adaptor which plugs into a
    > PC IDE cable on one side and into the notebook HD on the other. Try google
    > (something like 'IDE notebook hard drive adapter')

    Somebody in alt.hardware told me about this one:

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

    Thanks for replying!

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  10. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    EricP wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is this possible?

    > I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
    > little drive.

    This adaper:

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

    provides for that.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  11. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    J. H. Holliday wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >>
    >> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    >> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    >> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    >> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >>
    >> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
    >> hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >>
    >> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    >> drive up to my desktop computer?
    >>
    >> TIA for any help.

    > If your objective is to get the data off your failing NB HD, seems to me
    > that it would be easier to either hook an external HD to the NB and move
    > your data or cable the NB to your desktop. There are a variety of
    > programs/cables to do that depending on what kind of ports the NB has.

    I think it has a USB 1.1. However, I don't have an external HD. I think
    the best idea is this:

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD\

    Thanks for replying though!

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  12. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >>
    >> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    >> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
    >> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
    >> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
    >>
    >> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1353
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
    >> hard drive since the drive is failing.
    >>
    >> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    >> drive up to my desktop computer?

    > Yes, as Aardvark stated, there is an adapter for that - kinda like this:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203012
    >
    > Very economical.
    >
    > An alternate suggestion would be a USB external enclosure. If the notebook
    > computer is being "retired" and the drive doesn't need to be put back, you
    > can turn the drive into external portable storage:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=Hard Drive Enclosure&bop=And&Order=PRICE

    The drive is almost gone. My hope is to economically be able to quickly
    get all of the data from it (there's under a gig) to my desktop's hard
    drive, then copy it onto a new drive which will then be installed into
    the laptop.

    > Both items can also be easily found elsewhere, even eBay. Newegg.com has
    > been an excellent source of products for myself any numerous others who post
    > to this newsgroup - good service, easy to return/exchange products, etc. (I
    > endorse them only as a customer - I have no affiliation with them beyond
    > that.)

    I use them exclusively myself. They are good. Shipping is a little high,
    but oh well. Their prices offset that.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  13. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    Christopher Syn wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >>
    >> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
    >> drive up to my desktop computer?
    >>
    >> TIA for any help.

    > get an external usb case for it, geezzzzzzzz

    Not as economical as this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203012

    Since it's not likely that this is going to need to be repeated, there's
    not much reason to spend more than a few dollars. Besides, I don't even
    know if the laptop's old hard drive will last long enough for me to get
    a copy of its contents.

    I've never had to work on laptops until now, so don't know very much
    about them. I was hoping that the data connectors were the same.
    Apparently that's not the situation.

    _Sorry to have bothered you._

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  14. John Corliss

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
    >>> from an old notebook made in '97.

    >> An alternate suggestion would be a USB external enclosure. If the
    >> notebook computer is being "retired" and the drive doesn't need to be put
    >> back, you can turn the drive into external portable storage:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=Hard Drive Enclosure&bop=And&Order=PRICE

    > The drive is almost gone. My hope is to economically be able to quickly
    > get all of the data from it (there's under a gig) to my desktop's hard
    > drive, then copy it onto a new drive which will then be installed into the
    > laptop.

    Oh - then I'd agree wholeheartedly. The little adapter is the way to go
    rather than a USB enclosure.

    >> Both items can also be easily found elsewhere, even eBay. Newegg.com has
    >> been an excellent source of products for myself any numerous others who
    >> post to this newsgroup - good service, easy to return/exchange products,
    >> etc. (I endorse them only as a customer - I have no affiliation with them
    >> beyond that.)

    > I use them exclusively myself. They are good. Shipping is a little high,
    > but oh well. Their prices offset that.

    Heh! I ususally look for the "free shipping" items first and see if I can
    find what I need <g>

    As part of my "real" job, I buy products from certain manufacturing plants,
    and have them drop-shipped directly to my customers. You'd better believe I
    watch those shipping costs - and I have a real good idea of what's fair and
    reasonable. So I really don't find Newegg's shipping to be excessively off
    the mark. I mostly buy one or two smallish replacement or upgrade parts at a
    time - like a video card, or a processor, etc., and when shipping is $5 or
    $6 I don't find that unreasonable. They have not only the actual cost with
    the carrier, they have to pay for the box, the packing, stuff like that.
    Perhaps shipping costs are an issue with larger items or orders.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 19, 2007
  15. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "John Corliss" <> wrote in message
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>> An alternate suggestion would be a USB external enclosure. If the
    >>> notebook computer is being "retired" and the drive doesn't need to be put
    >>> back, you can turn the drive into external portable storage:
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=Hard Drive Enclosure&bop=And&Order=PRICE

    >> The drive is almost gone. My hope is to economically be able to quickly
    >> get all of the data from it (there's under a gig) to my desktop's hard
    >> drive, then copy it onto a new drive which will then be installed into the
    >> laptop.

    > Oh - then I'd agree wholeheartedly. The little adapter is the way to go
    > rather than a USB enclosure.
    >
    >>> Both items can also be easily found elsewhere, even eBay. Newegg.com has
    >>> been an excellent source of products for myself any numerous others who
    >>> post to this newsgroup - good service, easy to return/exchange products,
    >>> etc. (I endorse them only as a customer - I have no affiliation with them
    >>> beyond that.)

    >> I use them exclusively myself. They are good. Shipping is a little high,
    >> but oh well. Their prices offset that.
    >>

    > Heh! I ususally look for the "free shipping" items first and see if I can
    > find what I need <g>
    >
    > As part of my "real" job, I buy products from certain manufacturing plants,
    > and have them drop-shipped directly to my customers. You'd better believe I
    > watch those shipping costs - and I have a real good idea of what's fair and
    > reasonable. So I really don't find Newegg's shipping to be excessively off
    > the mark. I mostly buy one or two smallish replacement or upgrade parts at a
    > time - like a video card, or a processor, etc., and when shipping is $5 or
    > $6 I don't find that unreasonable. They have not only the actual cost with
    > the carrier, they have to pay for the box, the packing, stuff like that.
    > Perhaps shipping costs are an issue with larger items or orders.

    Nah, it's me. I'm so tight I squeek. 80)>

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 20, 2007
  16. John Corliss

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "John Corliss" <> wrote in message
    >>> The drive is almost gone. My hope is to economically be able to quickly
    >>> get all of the data from it (there's under a gig) to my desktop's hard
    >>> drive, then copy it onto a new drive which will then be installed into
    >>> the laptop.

    >> Oh - then I'd agree wholeheartedly. The little adapter is the way to go
    >> rather than a USB enclosure.

    >>> I use them exclusively myself. They are good. Shipping is a little high,
    >>> but oh well. Their prices offset that.
    >>>

    >> Heh! I ususally look for the "free shipping" items first and see if I can
    >> find what I need <g>
    >>
    >> As part of my "real" job, I buy products from certain manufacturing
    >> plants, and have them drop-shipped directly to my customers. You'd better
    >> believe I watch those shipping costs - and I have a real good idea of
    >> what's fair and reasonable. So I really don't find Newegg's shipping to
    >> be excessively off the mark. I mostly buy one or two smallish replacement
    >> or upgrade parts at a time - like a video card, or a processor, etc., and
    >> when shipping is $5 or $6 I don't find that unreasonable. They have not
    >> only the actual cost with the carrier, they have to pay for the box, the
    >> packing, stuff like that. Perhaps shipping costs are an issue with larger
    >> items or orders.

    > Nah, it's me. I'm so tight I squeek. 80)>

    Ah yes! I know that problem. Fortunately, most of what I buy is for
    repairing someone else's PC, so they pay the freight. And it's still less
    expensive than getting the same things in our local outlets.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 20, 2007
  17. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Heh! I ususally look for the "free shipping" items first and see if I can
    >>> find what I need <g>
    >>>
    >>> As part of my "real" job, I buy products from certain manufacturing
    >>> plants, and have them drop-shipped directly to my customers. You'd better
    >>> believe I watch those shipping costs - and I have a real good idea of
    >>> what's fair and reasonable. So I really don't find Newegg's shipping to
    >>> be excessively off the mark. I mostly buy one or two smallish replacement
    >>> or upgrade parts at a time - like a video card, or a processor, etc., and
    >>> when shipping is $5 or $6 I don't find that unreasonable. They have not
    >>> only the actual cost with the carrier, they have to pay for the box, the
    >>> packing, stuff like that. Perhaps shipping costs are an issue with larger
    >>> items or orders.

    >> Nah, it's me. I'm so tight I squeek. 80)>

    > Ah yes! I know that problem. Fortunately, most of what I buy is for
    > repairing someone else's PC, so they pay the freight. And it's still less
    > expensive than getting the same things in our local outlets.

    Yep. Brick and mortars always add more to the cost than shipping charges
    from online outlets. Not only that, but you don't have nearly as good a
    selection when buying from a B&M.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Apr 21, 2007
  18. John Corliss

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:

    >>> Nah, it's me. I'm so tight I squeek. 80)>

    >> Ah yes! I know that problem. Fortunately, most of what I buy is for
    >> repairing someone else's PC, so they pay the freight. And it's still less
    >> expensive than getting the same things in our local outlets.

    > Yep. Brick and mortars always add more to the cost than shipping charges
    > from online outlets. Not only that, but you don't have nearly as good a
    > selection when buying from a B&M.

    Exactly! The company I work for (obviously) inventories the products we
    manufacture, but we don't want to pay shipping to us, taxes, overhead, etc.
    on "accessories" for our products. That's why we ship direct on products we
    "resell" but don't make ourselves.

    So I've taken that lesson into my own little PC repair enterprise, and other
    than a couple of backup power supplies and basic video cards, I don't keep
    spare parts on hand. I have parts for troubleshooting purposes. And while
    the client pays the shipping on replacement parts, I do my best to keep
    their costs down (shipping included).

    WhzzKdd, Apr 21, 2007