    Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
    them out to the clients?

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1136943939.591094@faramir,
    Jack B. Pollack spewed forth:
    > We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server &
    > WinXP Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec
    > comes out with daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they
    > do with the Auto-update (LiveUpdate) definitions.
    >
    > Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and
    > PUSH them out to the clients?
    >
    > Thanks

    Dunno about the push - I wouldn't know how to do it that way. But yes, you
    can do the download easy enough, and run a task on the workstations to
    update. Here's where to start:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

    Download the file, give it a "generic" name when you save it. In other
    words, instead of keeping the filename from the web site, always call it
    "NAV_Update.exe" or something. And put it on a shared location on the
    server. Set up a scheduled task on each workstation to run the
    "NAV_Update.exe" at regularly scheduled intervals.

    --
    Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
    warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Howdy!

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in message
    > We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server & WinXP
    > Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec comes out with
    > daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they do with the

    Auto-update
    > (LiveUpdate) definitions.
    >
    > Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
    > them out to the clients?

    Sure! Open up the Symantec Control Center, open up the group,
    right-click on the Group Name, float over "Symantec Antivirus", float over
    "Download Defs to Computers" (actual phrase may be different, I'm doing
    this from memory), and left-click on it.

    Easy peasy if you're using the console.

    If you're NOT using the console to control and monitor the PCs, WHAT
    THE **** ARE YOU USING CORPORATE FOR???? I mean, SHEEIIITT!!! That's like
    buying a chain saw and never putting fuel in it!

    RwP

    (who thinks that the Corporate edition is the ONLY good edition out there
    .... )

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in message
    >> We are running Symantec Antivirus 8 Corporate on our Win2K3 Server &
    >> WinXP
    >> Workstations. Everything is set to autoupdate, but Symantec comes out
    >> with
    >> daily (manual) definitions more frequently then they do with the

    > Auto-update
    >> (LiveUpdate) definitions.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can download the daily definition on the server and PUSH
    >> them out to the clients?

    > Sure! Open up the Symantec Control Center, open up the group,
    > right-click on the Group Name, float over "Symantec Antivirus", float over
    > "Download Defs to Computers" (actual phrase may be different, I'm doing
    > this from memory), and left-click on it.
    >
    > Easy peasy if you're using the console.
    >
    > If you're NOT using the console to control and monitor the PCs,
    > WHAT
    > THE **** ARE YOU USING CORPORATE FOR???? I mean, SHEEIIITT!!! That's
    > like
    > buying a chain saw and never putting fuel in it!
    >
    > RwP
    >
    > (who thinks that the Corporate edition is the ONLY good edition out there
    > ... )

    Heh heh! I agree with that. The McAfee corporate version is also not the
    muddy, life-sucking, all-intrusive beast that the home "security suite" is.
    I use the McAfee at work, and it too has the defs in my server within half
    an hour of release, and my workstations check in every hour to see if
    there's an update. (My previous post was a manual work-around, that while
    not elegant, should be functional for any program needing scheduled
    updates.)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2006