    ?
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Jo

    CBIC Guest

    "Jo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello folks - it's been a while since I've posted here, but after passing
    > the
    > 70-271 in March, I hope to take my 70-272 on July 31st. My question:
    > Does
    > it appear fruitful to continue an IT career when you simply suck at
    > troubleshooting? How does one know to stay the course or throw in the
    > towel
    > ?
    > --
    > Motochick

    Troubleshooting skills come with experience. If you like what you're doing,
    stick with it.

    CBIC, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Jo

    John R Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > "Jo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello folks - it's been a while since I've posted here, but after passing
    >> the
    >> 70-271 in March, I hope to take my 70-272 on July 31st. My question:
    >> Does
    >> it appear fruitful to continue an IT career when you simply suck at
    >> troubleshooting? How does one know to stay the course or throw in the
    >> towel
    >> ?
    >> --
    >> Motochick

    > Troubleshooting skills come with experience. If you like what you're
    > doing, stick with it.

    That is great advise. I have found that troubleshooting becomes easier with
    experience because obviously you have seen things before and you know what
    to look for. Education is also a great teacher. When you understand how
    DNS works for example, when you start to have problems accessing servers or
    domains, you can put your DNS knowledge to work to determine if it is a DNS
    issue or not. Troubleshooting involves not only identifying what the
    problem is, but in most cases identifying what the problem is not.
    Education helps with that. With that in mind, pick up some books on the
    subjects. For example, if you are responsible for helpdesk support, get
    some books on MCDST, XP, Office, etc. An hour or two each night can really
    help.

    Good luck to you.

    John R

    John R, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Jo

    Jo Guest

    My problem is a boss who knows everything and when you can't figure it out,
    he assumes you suck when it comes to troubleshooting. I have to hear the
    whole story about how he analyzes things and how he got where he is today,
    etc. I simply think I have a blockage when it comes to applying concepts.
    He even told third party vendors that I was a "bit slow". If I don't
    approach it "his way", then I'm all wrong. It gets old trying to be the
    "mechanic" all the time, when all you get is flack. I can understand why the
    younger generation doesn't want this job!
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Jo

    John R Guest

    "Jo" <> wrote in message
    > My problem is a boss who knows everything and when you can't figure it
    > out,
    > he assumes you suck when it comes to troubleshooting. I have to hear the
    > whole story about how he analyzes things and how he got where he is today,
    > etc. I simply think I have a blockage when it comes to applying concepts.
    > He even told third party vendors that I was a "bit slow". If I don't
    > approach it "his way", then I'm all wrong. It gets old trying to be the
    > "mechanic" all the time, when all you get is flack. I can understand why
    > the
    > younger generation doesn't want this job!
    > --
    > Motochick

    I don't think you have the wrong career, I think you have the wrong
    employer.

    John R

    John R, Jul 5, 2007
  6. Jo

    CBIC Guest

    > I don't think you have the wrong career, I think you have the wrong
    > employer.

    Sounds like it to me too. I bet if you could work with someone else you
    would feel differently. In most of my jobs I've been the only IT person on
    site so I get to learn things on my own. Education and experience are
    irreplaceable and I would not want to go back to starting over.

    CBIC, Jul 5, 2007
  7. Jo

    Jo Guest

    I've only had this job for two years. I was working for a law firm for 17
    years when after a network conversion, I was laid off. It appears as though
    the more I learn, the more I seem to be a threat to people. I don't quite
    get it. You bust your arse and only get treated like a moron in this field.
    Then you go home each night questioning yourself and your skills, only to get
    up the next morning wondering if it's all worth it - the education, the hard
    work, the endless hours of research, the salary that's just peanuts. Will a
    Microsoft Certification really do anything for me after all this? That's the
    real question... Thanks for your posts. I'm gone.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 5, 2007
  8. Jo

    John R Guest

    "Jo" <> wrote in message
    > I've only had this job for two years. I was working for a law firm for 17
    > years when after a network conversion, I was laid off. It appears as
    > though
    > the more I learn, the more I seem to be a threat to people. I don't quite
    > get it. You bust your arse and only get treated like a moron in this
    > field.
    > Then you go home each night questioning yourself and your skills, only to
    > get
    > up the next morning wondering if it's all worth it - the education, the
    > hard
    > work, the endless hours of research, the salary that's just peanuts. Will
    > Microsoft Certification really do anything for me after all this? That's
    > the
    > real question... Thanks for your posts. I'm gone.
    > --
    > Motochick

    All the people I've worked with always seem really appreciative of my
    efforts. Yes, I do ocassionally make mistakes, we all do. How you deal
    with those mistakes is how people are going to perceive you. But in your
    particular situation, it doesn't sound like you are the problem.

    Certifications are about verifying experience. You'd have to check your job
    market against what you are making now and what you think you should be
    making. I pursued certifications because my employer placed the demands on
    me to do it. I work for a Microsoft Gold Certified partner, and he had
    goals to meet to maintain that partnership. I don't make the kind of money
    that I think I should, but I probably make more than my boss thinks I'm
    worth :)

    Two years is about the acceptable level for experience it seems. Most job
    ads require one to two years experience, so it looks like you are there.
    Why not test the waters out there. When you do, don't be afraid to ask up
    front, "If I obtain XXXX certification, will that affect my job status or my
    pay?" Ultimately, those decisions are made by individual employers, and
    those that value certifications will tell you that up front with no problem.

    Good luck to you.

    John R

    John R, Jul 5, 2007
  9. Jo

    TheITGirl Guest

    > "Jo" <> wrote in message
    >> I've only had this job for two years. I was working for a law firm for
    >> 17
    >> years when after a network conversion, I was laid off. It appears as
    >> though
    >> the more I learn, the more I seem to be a threat to people. I don't
    >> quite
    >> get it. You bust your arse and only get treated like a moron in this
    >> field.
    >> Then you go home each night questioning yourself and your skills, only to
    >> get
    >> up the next morning wondering if it's all worth it - the education, the
    >> hard
    >> work, the endless hours of research, the salary that's just peanuts.
    >> Will a
    >> Microsoft Certification really do anything for me after all this? That's
    >> the
    >> real question... Thanks for your posts. I'm gone.
    >> --
    >> Motochick
    >>

    > All the people I've worked with always seem really appreciative of my
    > efforts. Yes, I do ocassionally make mistakes, we all do. How you deal
    > with those mistakes is how people are going to perceive you. But in your
    > particular situation, it doesn't sound like you are the problem.
    >
    > Certifications are about verifying experience. You'd have to check your
    > job market against what you are making now and what you think you should
    > be making. I pursued certifications because my employer placed the
    > demands on me to do it. I work for a Microsoft Gold Certified partner,
    > and he had goals to meet to maintain that partnership. I don't make the
    > kind of money that I think I should, but I probably make more than my boss
    > thinks I'm worth :)
    >
    > Two years is about the acceptable level for experience it seems. Most job
    > ads require one to two years experience, so it looks like you are there.
    > Why not test the waters out there. When you do, don't be afraid to ask up
    > front, "If I obtain XXXX certification, will that affect my job status or
    > my pay?" Ultimately, those decisions are made by individual employers,
    > and those that value certifications will tell you that up front with no
    > problem.
    >
    > Good luck to you.
    >
    > John R

    Hi Motochick!

    I too worked in a law firm for several years before starting a new career in
    IT! Like you I still have loads to learn, but I am enjoying it immensely.
    I have to admit I didn't get any extra pay for passing my MCDST, but it has
    given me a sense of achievement.

    I would advise you to keep your eyes peeled for other job opportunities. In
    the meantime, please keep your chin up and don't let your current boss erode
    your confidence - he sounds like a real a***hole and probably sees you as a
    threat because you are a fast learner!

    Remember - YOU CAN DO IT!

    Good luck with the 272 exam

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Jul 6, 2007
  10. Jo

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 5, 1:36 pm, Jo <> wrote:
    > My problem is a boss who knows everything and when you can't figure it out,
    > he assumes you suck when it comes to troubleshooting. I have to hear the
    > whole story about how he analyzes things and how he got where he is today,
    > etc. I simply think I have a blockage when it comes to applying concepts.
    > He even told third party vendors that I was a "bit slow". If I don't
    > approach it "his way", then I'm all wrong. It gets old trying to be the
    > "mechanic" all the time, when all you get is flack. I can understand why the
    > younger generation doesn't want this job!
    > --
    > Motochick
    >

    > "John R" wrote:
    >
    > > "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > > > "Jo" <> wrote in message

    > > > Troubleshooting skills come with experience. If you like what you're
    > > > doing, stick with it.

    > > That is great advise. I have found that troubleshooting becomes easier with
    > > experience because obviously you have seen things before and you know what
    > > to look for. Education is also a great teacher. When you understand how
    > > DNS works for example, when you start to have problems accessing servers or
    > > domains, you can put your DNS knowledge to work to determine if it is a DNS
    > > issue or not. Troubleshooting involves not only identifying what the
    > > problem is, but in most cases identifying what the problem is not.
    > > Education helps with that. With that in mind, pick up some books on the
    > > subjects. For example, if you are responsible for helpdesk support, get
    > > some books on MCDST, XP, Office, etc. An hour or two each night can really
    > > help.

    > > Good luck to you.

    > > John R- Hide quoted text -

    Stop working in such a draining environment. Do yourself a favor and
    get a new job. Any employer that is not willing to help their
    employees learn to be better employees is just plain stupid. Part of
    learning is good old fashion patience. At my work, they don't pay me
    to get certified, but they do allow me to study during downtime. Also,
    problems at my work are viewed as learning experiences. My boss knows
    that I am glad to show him things so he can learn just as much as I am
    from him. This way we never get impatient. Now I do suppose that if I
    was to have to show him the same procedure every singel day for a
    month, then, and only then, would I get impatient. That would show a
    lack of desire to learn.

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 9, 2007
  11. If you can't troubleshoot, that isn't the problem. You'll learn as time goes
    by and you experience different things. Either that or you'll be a
    well-trained lab rat responding to stimuli and then going through the maze
    correctly.

    If you never want to learn to troubleshoot, then go work at McDonalds.

    I would say the real challenge anyone faces is managing their emotions on
    the job.. Seriously... Managing stress, Dealing with other people if you
    don't like them, and Enjoying the people they work with day in and day out
    (this helps prevent boredom). And of course, dealing with idiots in a
    professional manner! That's the toughest one.

    Keith Chilton, Jul 10, 2007
  12. Jo

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 9, 9:33 pm, "Keith Chilton" <> wrote:
    > If you can't troubleshoot, that isn't the problem. You'll learn as time goes
    > by and you experience different things. Either that or you'll be a
    > well-trained lab rat responding to stimuli and then going through the maze
    > correctly.
    >
    > If you never want to learn to troubleshoot, then go work at McDonalds.
    >
    > I would say the real challenge anyone faces is managing their emotions on
    > the job.. Seriously... Managing stress, Dealing with other people if you
    > don't like them, and Enjoying the people they work with day in and day out
    > (this helps prevent boredom). And of course, dealing with idiots in a
    > professional manner! That's the toughest one.

    Yeah dealing with idiots was a hard lesson to learn. That was
    something not taught in college or Cert training.

    Someone above mentioned working in a small shop. I have had mixed
    emotions about working in a place with only 1 other IT guy. For the
    most part my boss is an AS400 guru and knows VERY little about
    Microsoft, much less server ops.So much so that I seeem like a
    Microsoft God in his eyes. I came into the job fresh out of college
    with a Network Admin degree. I knew how to install Server 2000 and
    Active Directory. Thats it. From that I have taken over the desktop
    support aspect and thanks to my MCDST studys, I am now know too much
    about XP. But all of my hard earned experience was trial by fire. My
    boss at times has been sort of upset when I do make mistakes, but I
    have always turned it right around and asked him how he would have
    done it. That usually shuts him up since he doesn't know the answers
    as well. I have stayed since this job gives me a perverbial play
    ground of equipment to use when studying for my hard earned
    MCDST(which I have as of Feb) and now for the MCSE 2003(before they
    stop those exams).

    Despite what I said above, if you can tollerate your boss but fulfill
    that same situation, perhaps it may be wise to suck it up and stay. I
    may have a unique situation though. I do find it hardest to work here
    when I truely have a problem that I can't answer and cannot depend
    upon someone else to assist me. I have to depend upon Technet, Google
    searches, and awesome Usenet groups(such as this one) for help. It
    would be nice to have an in-house expert to pick their brain as long
    as they were willing to take the time to teach others. But if we had
    an expert here, would I still get all the great experience from the
    problems to solve? Catch 22.

    Since I did not get a raise or any sort of compensation at all for my
    certs, I am unwilling to teach my boss my cool troubleshooting ways.
    Anytime he brings it up, I just give him a list of books to buy from
    Barnes and Nobles. But am I that jerk in-house expert now or
    justified? Comments and critisism are welcomed.

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 11, 2007
  13. My work atmosphere is pretty much holding down everything and resolving
    everything to do with our PCs, network and printers... I have 2 bosses and
    they know here and there and can get to a solution most of the time. But I
    usually solve the problems and get to the answer a lot faster than they do.
    I pretty much work alone and learn everything for myself. I have started to
    use these newsgroups though when I can't google the answer or technet. I
    always try to not bother anybody and figure it out on my own first, then as
    a last resort I use the newsgroups (MCDST and MCSA)

    I try to limit my questions to other people mainly because if you do it all
    the time, nobody answers. You're post get old and people are either
    apathetic or irritated about your constant posts....In other words, I try to
    make my posts to newsgroups count and mean something, so people pay
    attention and I get responses and most importantly, results......

    DJPIMPDADDY - as far as witholding your troubleshooting methods and what you
    learn. That doesnt make you in-house jerk. Actually you can view that as
    being nice to everyone. Most people talk about their jobs and get in to way
    too many details... When that happens, most people lose interest in what the
    person is saying because they dont know what they are talking about or they
    are just flat out annoyed because they have a million things they are
    supposed to be doing but instead they are listening to you. Keep your
    knowledge to yourself at work, unless you're specifically asked. It makes
    you more valuable (as long as you're showing results) and hopefully will
    gain you respect and salary increases! It makes you a good co-worker because
    you aren't constantly telling YOUR job to your coworkers. How you go about
    finding the answers is your problem. Personally I think having career
    friends at other companies, newsgroups, etc.. is a VERY good thing to have.
    Especially when you need to fix something and fix it ASAP. Having access to
    somebody else's knowledge and experiences is very valuable. You can't always
    find what you need on Google or Technet. That's why contacts are so
    valuable. My asking other people where I work is not my thing because I'm
    the go-to guy and always have been whereever I have worked. But even the
    go-to guys and bosses still have trouble and do not have all the answers.
    But they usually are resourceful!

    Unless somebody asked, they aren't really interested in what you're saying.
    ( I think so anyways) And since you asked for comments and criticism, i'm
    sure you'll see this post and respond

    Keith Chilton, Jul 12, 2007
  14. Jo

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    Response: Thanks

    = )

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 12, 2007
  15. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Thanks for all the talk. I still am undecided as to what to do. NO, I don't
    want to work McDonalds and found that comment a bit rude.

    I've been working 7 years here and there. Got my A+, then got laid off. My
    group of network buddies who were Senior Network Technicians never graduated
    from high school, never graduated from a college or had not one cert behind
    their name and I was the one let go. Go figure!

    Now, I'm dealing with a department that is split. I work mainly alone with
    fixing pcs, setting up new workstations, printers, etc. I also do a lot of
    remote help desk work. My boss simply doesn't want to be bothered if I need
    to ask a question and like many who responded, I am left to Google it or find
    it on my own before the VP gets on my arse. I believe I simply have problems
    grasping concepts at times and learning is difficult if you don't have the
    foundation to begin with.

    They pay for the education so I can't bark at that. I'll stay until I feel
    the respect has gone out the window - it's close....but not just yet.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 12, 2007
  16. Well i'm sorry if I was rude. Hopefully my point was made clear though?
    Sometimes I try to hard to express my points and in doing so go a bit too
    far. So I'm sorry about that.

    Keith Chilton, Jul 13, 2007
  17. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Keith:

    Apology accepted. I understand where you are coming from. I see it in
    people in all generations - no one wants to work anymore. They want all the
    papers and letters behind their names, but when it comes to having to do the
    work, they sit on their brains!

    It's not that I don't want to troubleshoot. I try, but at times am at a
    loss when you don't have support within your own department. Then
    frustration sets in and you begin to wonder if there isn't greener grass
    somewhere else.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 13, 2007
  18. Jo

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    There is "always" greener grass on the other side. Thats the problem I
    think. I know that I can never settle down somewhere. Which is why I
    am considering working for a temp/consulting firm. But that may be too
    much. Good luck in whatever you choose though.

    Smile = )

    Its Friday!! Weeeeeee!

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 13, 2007
  19. "Jo" <> wrote in message

    > It's not that I don't want to troubleshoot. I try, but at times am at a
    > loss when you don't have support within your own department. Then
    > frustration sets in and you begin to wonder if there isn't greener grass
    > somewhere else.
    > --
    > Motochick

    I don't even have a department... :-(

    </self pity>
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 14, 2007