purposely misframed 4:3 tv episodes on dvd

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. I used to watch the syndicated reruns of "You Bet Your Life" on tv. I got the
    dvd set (whivh is a sample of episodes instead of a full season set), and
    according to the noted in the set (anf drom what I saw on the screen after
    reading the notes), when the show went into syndicated reruns, the producers
    decided to purposely misframe the episodes in order to eliminate the references
    to the sponsor that was visible on Groucho's desk, and eliminate the reference
    to NBC that was printed on Groucho's microphone, and sometimes purposely
    blurred out the NBC logo when it was in frame, while other times purposely
    misframing it.

    Most of the episodes on the disc are the original network versions framed
    correctly, but some prints were lost, and in these cases, the dvd set used the
    syndicated version, which was purposely misframed when the show went into
    syndication (and aired on tv purposely misframed during the syndicated reruns,
    the version that I grew up with as the show was already off the network and
    already in syndication while I was growing up.

    But this is the first time ythat I ever heard of a 4:3 tv show being purposely
    misframed for viewing on a 4:3 tv set, purposely misframed from what the
    original composition was even though still intended to be vviewed in the same
    aspect ratio as the original.

    Waterperson77, Feb 17, 2004