    etc.)

    Has anyone come across such a listing?

    Thanks in advance!

    Plato, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Plato

    Plato Guest

    that doesn't come close to answering my question.

    Plato, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Plato

    shope Guest

    "Plato" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for some sort of document that lists features that one
    > might expect to "lose" if they choose a pure IP VoIP solution (e.g.
    > Cisco or 3Com) over an IP-enabled PBX solution (e.g. Avaya, Nortel,
    > etc.)

    IP Voip is not the same as a PBX - you need the extra features provided by
    what Cisco and 3Com among others call IP Telephony.

    This uses Voip as a way to provide calls in progress, but servers to handle
    addressing, dial plans and so on.

    I dont think there is such a distinction any more between the old and new
    (if there ever really was one) - the latest respin of old PBXes in IP
    telephony form takes them to close to the "new world" stuff in both features
    and structure.

    Its more a matter of specific products rather than industry sector ie. where
    the product came from.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Save your money, don't pay crazy licensing fees. Look into the Asterisk

    Jeremy McNamara, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Plato

    Jack Guest

    "Plato" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for some sort of document that lists features that one
    > might expect to "lose" if they choose a pure IP VoIP solution (e.g.
    > Cisco or 3Com) over an IP-enabled PBX solution (e.g. Avaya, Nortel,
    > etc.)
    >
    > Has anyone come across such a listing?

    No, but I did a feature comparison (just from specs) a little while ago and
    found the Cisco feature list to be quite short.
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/clmn.htm
    This could just be a fault of the documentation, but the list lacked the
    following:
    Account codes
    Intrusion (Barge-in)
    Direct extension select (diversion override)
    Hunt groups
    ACD
    Ring back
    Do Not Disturb
    DSS/BLF (except for operator)?
    Paging
    These are just the common features I would expect to see on anything calling
    itself a telephone system. Perhaps a Cisco user can confirm whether these
    features do exist or have since been added.

    I didn't look closely at the 3Com NBX, but it appears to have DND, hunt
    groups, paging and account codes.

    The Mitel 3300 can be described as "pure IP" although it can include TDM
    switching as well. This has a much greater feature list, as you'd expect
    from a system inheriting many years of development on conventional systems.
    I didn't notice any serious omissions on comparison.

    Avaya's IP Office would come into the IP-enabled category. The central
    server does not have a long history behind it, but the handsets have been
    inherited from other Avaya systems. User features are good - nothing serious
    omitted. Voice Mail features are basic, although the system has quite
    powerful programming capabilities.

    Jack, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Plato

    DPGumby Guest

    The Mitel 3300ICP has virtually all the features of the SX2000 PBX. The only
    big feature the 3300 doesn't at this point have is Tennating ( introduced to
    the SX2000 in LW 32). The 3300 does have hot desking though a feaure the
    SX2000 could use. Basically the 3300, which can be a pure IP system, doesn't
    lack for features compared to a traditional PBX.

    DPGumby, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Plato

    DPGumby Guest

    I would add that the Cisco also doesn't support QSIG integration to other
    PBX's but that's about all I know.

    DPGumby, Aug 8, 2003