Purchasing Camera Experience...... Bad hair Day Rant - Blowing Off Steaml...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BobS, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. BobS

    BobS Guest

    I posted a few days back about getting the Pentax *ist D camera asking for
    comments. All were favorable and so the hunt was on. I'll not go into all
    the details but there are some real sleazy dealers out there - with most
    concentrated in the Brooklyn, NY area but CA has their share too. Now there
    are some businesses in NY like B&H who are excellent but they didn't have
    the kit I wanted in stock.

    Rant mode on....

    As for the others (and I tried more than a dozen), by the time they tack on
    their outrageous handling fee (6.5%), add shipping of $79+ to ship it from
    NYC to Syracuse (a 4 hour drive) they are higher priced than any other deal
    I could find. A couple even made buying a warranty (not Macks) mandatory or
    no sale - sleaze at it's finest. They quickly get their low-ball price
    (that you can't buy it for) back up to where it's not even close to being a
    savings. And then you have to wonder if it's grey market goods (fell off
    the truck stuff).

    But what really made my shopping experience a real nightmare was getting
    jerked around by Amazon.com for two days - they totally screwed things up.
    They cancelled the order three times, never responded to emails and customer
    support (try finding that number...) for the most part was useless, save for
    one individual. I have two phone numbers like many, and I put in my home
    office phone number and not my home phone. Well.....ya woulda thought I
    committed a major crime. That number didn't match the credit card companies
    records and that cancelled the first order. No where on their site do they
    say the phone number you enter has to match the credit card file.... They
    ask for a number where you can be reached during the day - which is the
    number I put down. Off course it doesn't match the credit card - duh!

    They automatically killed my accounts I had opened since this now appeared
    to be a fraudulent transaction. They even go as far as tacking a >> .fraud
    << on the tail of your email address when you enter it to access your
    account. Nice touch I thought....

    I was told the next day to open a new account and reorder and the world
    would be fine again. I did, order confirmation came thru and 2 minutes
    later - order cancelled. Tried using a different credit card - same story.
    Called the credit card companies, no reason for the order to be cancelled -
    credit is fine. Even went as far as having my bank run a credit check on me
    to see if something funny got into my records - 100% clean, no reason there.
    Everyone is now baffled...

    Finally, after two days of Amazon.com shutting down any account I opened,
    the one nice lady said someone in their accounting section was trying to get
    approval for $0.00 (zero) dollars. Sure enough, I called the credit card
    company and they verified that they sure as hell were bouncing back their
    zero dollar approval requests. Got long explanation that this is done to
    verify account before sending the real requests with the total dollars. The
    system does not allow zero dollar approvals and supposedly the system is
    supposed to send a request with at least $1 and it will respond verifying
    the account etc. Now I may not have that absolutely correct but that's the
    jest of it and I musta had at newbie at the controls when they were
    verifying my credit card/s. Customer service (the nice lady) gave me a fax
    number, and said to send a letter to get accountings attention since none of
    the 6 emails I sent were opened yet (and still aren't as of tonight). No
    reply, no phone calls, no return emails.

    My last email said - (oh yeah I wanted to say exactly what you're all
    thinking...;-) but I was nice.. Well almost but whoever reads it will get
    my drift that I won't be shopping with them again. Nearly a $2,000 dollar
    order with the extra accessories I wanted - and they could care less from
    the attitude I got from several customer service reps. On second thought,
    maybe the sleaze-balls in Brooklyn were better than Amazon.com. At least
    they told me up front, " We're gonna rip you off for 6.5% plus charge you an
    outrageous shipping fee." In comparison - Amazon wouldn't even talk to
    me...

    Well, back to shopping and calling around and thanks to Charlie Self (Thanks
    Charlie!) I found the kit I wanted at Dell. Now that struck me as a bit odd
    but sure enough they sell a lot of things besides computers that I wasn't
    aware of. Prices were about the same as any other reputable dealer selling
    the same item. I did save on the tax and it has the $200 rebate plus Dells
    additional 10% off got the price down to being competitive - so I ordered.
    The whole ordering process (via phone) took about 15 min. Within 10 min, my
    credit card company was calling me to verify that I made a charge to Dell
    and within a couple of minutes - I had a confirmation and ship date. No
    fuss, no muss and 180 degrees from the Amazon nightmare experience.

    Rant off....

    Now, anybody got some good recommendations on where I can get a decent
    ~100mm Macro ?

    Thanks for listening, I feel better.

    Bob S.
    BobS, Aug 20, 2004

  2. BobS

    lefty Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:41:53 GMT, "BobS" <> wrote:
    Sounds like SAMs.... I just bought a new printer from them, only to
    walk into the local (20miles away) and see them selling it for $40.00
    less on the shelf. I wrote them about mine being 40 dollars higher??
    Should they be the same as their local store? The wrote back that the
    shipping was only 11.90, why was I concerned?? Yeah...add in the
    shipping it was over 50 bucks higher... Lord help those incompetent
    people!!

    lefty, Aug 20, 2004

  3. BobS

    Paul J Gans Guest

    BobS <> wrote:

> [...]

    >Well, back to shopping and calling around and thanks to Charlie Self (Thanks
    >Charlie!) I found the kit I wanted at Dell. Now that struck me as a bit odd
    >but sure enough they sell a lot of things besides computers that I wasn't
    >aware of. Prices were about the same as any other reputable dealer selling
    >the same item. I did save on the tax and it has the $200 rebate plus Dells
    >additional 10% off got the price down to being competitive - so I ordered.
    >The whole ordering process (via phone) took about 15 min. Within 10 min, my
    >credit card company was calling me to verify that I made a charge to Dell
    >and within a couple of minutes - I had a confirmation and ship date. No
    >fuss, no muss and 180 degrees from the Amazon nightmare experience.

    >Rant off....

    >Now, anybody got some good recommendations on where I can get a decent

    B&H?

    >Thanks for listening, I feel better.

    Good for you! And I wish you a lot of fun with your new
    camera!

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Aug 21, 2004