purchasing affordable health insurance

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Dec 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am an international student(26 years old, weight 135 pounds, height 5 feet 8 inches and
    don't have any pre-existing condition, single, no dependents) on F-1 student visa currently
    attending a community college in Florida, U.S and plan to transfer to another community
    college in few months. The link I found http://serveglobe.com/usa/insurance/international-student-quotes-compare.asp
    gave some plans for a person like me and Study USA Plan B
    http://www.serveglobe.com/insurance/affiliate/nriol/brochure/study-usa-insurance.pdf is for
    56(51+5 application fee) per month as mentioned at http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susarate.htm?32701
    and for subsequent renewals additional 5$. I hardly ever go to the doctor, but the plan
    described there mentions they will cover only 80% of the first 25K. I am currently insured,
    but the new college I am moving to does not offer health insurance to international students
    like me, but requires one to purchase it before getting admitted.

    Does something less expensive than this plan with less co-pay/deductible exist?
    This seems to have a co-pay of 50 for in-network as http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susaboc.htm?32701

    Has anyone ever heard of this company Study USA Plan(http://www.travelinsure.com/what/susahigh.htm)
    and does the link http://www.serveglobe.com/insurance/affiliate/nriol/brochure/study-usa-insurance.pdf
    seem legitimate? Someone told me its rates are too low to be a valid provider.

    Blue Cross of Florida online, http://www.bcbsfl.com/ has a premium of 126 per month with
    a deductible of 500 per individual and "No deductible for in-network well care,
    but co-insurance for in-network services " It seems if I visit a in-network provider most likely
    I will be charged 20% of the cost? This has a high deductible and 20% co-insurance.

    I was told there is also HTH Worldwide(http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/) which is
    86 for standard(100$ deductible and basic medical is covered only 80% till 10K) and 116
    for preferred(100$ deductible and after basic medical of 5K, 80% till 245K)
    as http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/students_plans.cfm.

    Being new to purchasing health insurance on my own I don't know much about rates.
    I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions on the plans, features I should look for or any
    other things I need to be aware of.

    Thanks

    Guest, Dec 30, 2007