Purchasing advise for Point and Shoot

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jmk, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. jmk

    jmk Guest

    I'd like some advice on a Point and Shoot digital camera. I've lurked
    here for a few days and I tried to do some research before that.

    What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    Digital Rebel. I'd like to use it for situations where (1) DH does not
    want to bring his camera and (2) indoor situations like birthdays in
    restaurants where a DSLR may feel too large. I mean, I don't want the
    subject to feel like a camera is being shoved up his/her nose. I'd like
    something on the small side but not tiny and I generally print 4x6 and
    5x7 but will have the occasional 8x10. I am looking for about a 5
    megapixal camera with a 4x optical zoom (or so) and good optics. For
    that reason I was looking at the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-V1 (due to Carl
    Zeiss lens) but it didn't feel right in my hands. There was not a lot
    to hold on to. It seems like the Canon Powershot S50 might fit the bill
    (3x zoom though) and the Nikon Coolpix 5400, Olympus Camedia C505, Canon
    S500. The Canon G5 seems really nice on paper but it is on the large
    side. What are your thoughts? Am I more or less on the right track?
    Any additional suggestions or concerns?
    --
    jmk in NC

    jmk, Apr 13, 2004

  2. jmk

    Roger Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:09:28 -0400, jmk <> wrote:

    >What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    >Digital Rebel.

    Why not stick with the Canon line? You get the same storage media as
    you do with the DR and you stay with a similar menu philosophy. The
    Canon A70/A80 comes to mind. My friends who have them find them very
    versatile and they seem to share well between people who are very
    knowledgable photographers and those who are strictly interested in
    P&S.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, Apr 13, 2004

  3. jmk

    Sharonius Guest

    Sharonius, Apr 13, 2004
  4. jmk

    jmk Guest

    On 4/13/2004 12:38 PM, Sharonius wrote:
    > Check out the nikon cp 3700,
    > A great little camera
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3700.html

    It doesn't appear to meet my requiremetns (4-5 MP, 3-4x optical zoom).
    Why do you feel that this would be a better option that the Nikon 4300
    or 5400?

    --
    jmk in NC

    jmk, Apr 13, 2004
  5. jmk

    jmk Guest

    Re: Purchasing advice for Point and Shoot

    On 4/13/2004 11:38 AM, Roger wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:09:28 -0400, jmk <> wrote:
    >

    >>What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    >>Digital Rebel.

    > Why not stick with the Canon line? You get the same storage media as
    > you do with the DR and you stay with a similar menu philosophy. The
    > Canon A70/A80 comes to mind. My friends who have them find them very
    > versatile and they seem to share well between people who are very
    > knowledgable photographers and those who are strictly interested in
    > P&S.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Roger

    Last night I saw a Canon Powershot S50. I liked the way that it felt
    and, like you said, it does have the advantage of having very similar
    controls/layout as the Digital Rebel. How do you feel about this model
    (I've read the reviews but more input would be appreciated)? How do you
    feel that it compares with the Olympus Camedia C5050 Zoom and the Pentax
    Optio 555?

    Any input would be appreciated!

    --
    jmk in NC

    jmk, Apr 14, 2004
  6. jmk

    On 4/14/2004 7:50 AM, jmk wrote:
    > On 4/13/2004 11:38 AM, Roger wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:09:28 -0400, jmk <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    >>> Digital Rebel.

    >> Why not stick with the Canon line? You get the same storage media as
    >> you do with the DR and you stay with a similar menu philosophy. The
    >> Canon A70/A80 comes to mind. My friends who have them find them very
    >> versatile and they seem to share well between people who are very
    >> knowledgable photographers and those who are strictly interested in
    >> P&S.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Roger

    > Last night I saw a Canon Powershot S50. I liked the way that it felt
    > and, like you said, it does have the advantage of having very similar
    > controls/layout as the Digital Rebel. How do you feel about this model
    > (I've read the reviews but more input would be appreciated)? How do you
    > feel that it compares with the Olympus Camedia C5050 Zoom and the Pentax
    > Optio 555?
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated!

    Also, how do you feel about shutter lag on these models (C5050, Optio
    555 and Powershot S50)?

    --
    jmk in NC

    jmk, Apr 14, 2004
  7. jmk

    Dave Arbok Guest

    > What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    > Digital Rebel. I'd like to use it for situations where (1) DH does not
    > want to bring his camera and (2) indoor situations ... DSLR may feel too
    > large.
    > I am looking for about a 5 megapixal camera with a 4x optical zoom (or so)
    > and good optics. ...
    > It seems like the Canon Powershot S50 might fit the bill
    > (3x zoom though) and the Nikon Coolpix 5400, Olympus Camedia C505, Canon
    > S500. The Canon G5 seems really nice on paper but it is on the large
    > side. ... Am I more or less on the right track?

    IMO The best site for camera reviews is
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews
    because they give more scientific test pictures that show how much
    noise and resolution cameras really have; often a good quality 4MP
    beats an average 5MP, and the same is true of 2MP and 3MP.
    I would rule out any current Sony if your other cam is a DSLR, because
    of their MemoryStick dependence, since you probably have tons of CF
    cards and the appropriate reader. They have seen the light, and their
    new 8MP cam works dual with either MemoryStick or CF, but its sensor
    is too noisy and it is too big for the purpose you mention.
    If you are willing to go for a big camera, I would take a Canon G3 or
    G5, but I think that is too big for the casual indoor use you are
    describing.
    I think you are on the right track. 4X zoom is a bit hard to get
    without compromising on size. For the sleekest cameras, I would
    suggest Canon S500 / S410 / S400 are good and very small, the Canon
    S50 / S45 are very durable, have more manual control, not too big. I
    would also suggest considering the Canon A80. In all of these cases,
    my opinion is that the 4MP's lower noise compares very well,
    especially for indoor shots, to their 5MP twins.
    The Nikon Coolpix 4300 and 5400, and Camedia C5050, are all also good
    choices but I would go for one of the smaller Canon's.

    Dave Arbok, Apr 15, 2004
  8. jmk

    jmk Guest

    On 4/14/2004 10:21 PM, Dave Arbok wrote:
    >>What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    >>Digital Rebel. I'd like to use it for situations where (1) DH does not
    >>want to bring his camera and (2) indoor situations ... DSLR may feel too
    >>large.
    >>I am looking for about a 5 megapixal camera with a 4x optical zoom (or so)
    >>and good optics. ...
    >>It seems like the Canon Powershot S50 might fit the bill
    >>(3x zoom though) and the Nikon Coolpix 5400, Olympus Camedia C505, Canon
    >>S500. The Canon G5 seems really nice on paper but it is on the large
    >>side. ... Am I more or less on the right track?

    > IMO The best site for camera reviews is
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews
    > because they give more scientific test pictures that show how much
    > noise and resolution cameras really have; often a good quality 4MP
    > beats an average 5MP, and the same is true of 2MP and 3MP.
    > I would rule out any current Sony if your other cam is a DSLR, because
    > of their MemoryStick dependence, since you probably have tons of CF
    > cards and the appropriate reader.

    Well, I have a clie so that's not an issue for me but it may be for others.

    They have seen the light, and their
    > new 8MP cam works dual with either MemoryStick or CF, but its sensor
    > is too noisy and it is too big for the purpose you mention.
    > If you are willing to go for a big camera, I would take a Canon G3 or
    > G5, but I think that is too big for the casual indoor use you are
    > describing.
    > I think you are on the right track. 4X zoom is a bit hard to get
    > without compromising on size. For the sleekest cameras, I would
    > suggest Canon S500 / S410 / S400 are good and very small, the Canon
    > S50 / S45 are very durable, have more manual control, not too big. I
    > would also suggest considering the Canon A80. In all of these cases,
    > my opinion is that the 4MP's lower noise compares very well,
    > especially for indoor shots, to their 5MP twins.

    Thanks a bunch!

    > The Nikon Coolpix 4300 and 5400, and Camedia C5050, are all also good
    > choices but I would go for one of the smaller Canon's.

    Great! Thanks again!

    --
    jmk in NC

    jmk, Apr 15, 2004
  9. jmk <> wrote in message news:<c5gsap$1i4ct$-berlin.de>...
    > I'd like some advice on a Point and Shoot digital camera. I've lurked
    > here for a few days and I tried to do some research before that.
    >
    > What I am looking for is a Point and Shoot camera to compliment our
    > Digital Rebel. I'd like to use it for situations where (1) DH does not
    > want to bring his camera and (2) indoor situations like birthdays in
    > restaurants where a DSLR may feel too large. I mean, I don't want the

    <snip>

    I'd advise the Canon S500 or S50. Since this is a second camera, I
    think I'd get the S500; if it was to be your only camera, then the S50
    would be a better choice. Stick with a camera that uses compact flash.

    The S500 is $438 with free shipping, from buydig.com. I ordered one
    last week, at the higher price (darn!) of $439 with free shipping.

    I bought an S50 at Costco a couple of months ago, as a gift for
    someone. It was $379, with a second battery included. Now I notice
    that the price is actually going up on the S50, it's $390 at Amazon.
    Must be the only camera on the market that's going up in price!

    The G5 is a great camera, but not that much smaller than the Digital
    Rebel. I have a G2, and the S500 is because the G2 is too big to be
    taking everywhere.

    The S50, S500, and G5, have all won the highly coveted "Nordic Group
    Best Buy" award at the Digital Camera Short List web site
    (http://nordicgroup.us/digicam).

    Make sure that whatever you purchase has an AF assist beam. All the
    Canon's I mentioned have this, not sure about the Nikon or the
    Olympus.

    Steve
    Digital Camera Short List: http://nordicgroup.us/digicam

    Steven Scharf, Apr 15, 2004