    suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens. Am

    I asking too much?

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 15, 2005

  2. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ok, I have read the reviews and come away feeling very confused. I
    > like to take mainly recreational photos, lots of group (unposed)stuff,
    > especially in lower light levels, and some action. I like the
    > e-volt300, the Pentax *isDT, the Nikon D70, but can't decide which is
    > better (or other suggestions I haven't considered). The two things I
    > do not like about the point and shoot digitals I have used is the time
    > between shots (for which I have not been able to determine if there is
    > a technical term or consistent specs) and the lack of good low
    > available light capability. Any way out of this quandary or good
    > suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens. Am
    >
    > I asking too much?

    Nope. But you might want to consider the Canon, too. I like the fact all the
    old film lenses work with the current cameras. And do you think you might
    ever want to attached your new lenses to a old film camera? I do. OK, the
    EF-S lenses won't do this, but the other 50 will, so I'm waiting for a sweet
    deal on a EOS 3.
    Dave R knows who, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Canon Digital Rebel.

    Nikon is more than $900 with lens.

    hotchkisstrio, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Peter

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Ok, I have read the reviews and come away feeling very confused. I
    > like to take mainly recreational photos, lots of group (unposed)stuff,
    > especially in lower light levels, and some action. I like the
    > e-volt300, the Pentax *isDT, the Nikon D70, but can't decide which is
    > better (or other suggestions I haven't considered). The two things I
    > do not like about the point and shoot digitals I have used is the time
    > between shots (for which I have not been able to determine if there is
    > a technical term or consistent specs) and the lack of good low
    > available light capability. Any way out of this quandary or good
    > suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens. Am
    >
    > I asking too much?
    >

    > Peter

    I think it depends on the lens you plan to use. I bought the Nikon D70 with
    18-70 AFS lens (it has a motor in the lens) and it seemed to focus quicker than
    the Pentax *istDS with 18-125 (no motor in lens). The focus speed was most
    important to me, along with image quality and position of controls. So the Canon
    300D was not an option.

    Ben
    Ben Thomas, Mar 15, 2005
  5. "Dave R knows who" <> writes:

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I have read the reviews and come away feeling very confused. I
    >> like to take mainly recreational photos, lots of group (unposed)stuff,
    >> especially in lower light levels, and some action. I like the
    >> e-volt300, the Pentax *isDT, the Nikon D70, but can't decide which is
    >> better (or other suggestions I haven't considered). The two things I
    >> do not like about the point and shoot digitals I have used is the time
    >> between shots (for which I have not been able to determine if there is
    >> a technical term or consistent specs) and the lack of good low
    >> available light capability. Any way out of this quandary or good
    >> suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens. Am
    >>
    >> I asking too much?

    > Nope. But you might want to consider the Canon, too. I like the fact all the
    > old film lenses work with the current cameras. And do you think you might
    > ever want to attached your new lenses to a old film camera? I do. OK, the
    > EF-S lenses won't do this, but the other 50 will, so I'm waiting for a sweet
    > deal on a EOS 3.

    Actually, that's exactly backwards. The Pentax and Nikon *will* use
    all the old film lenses. The Canon won't touch anything before their
    new "EF" series, introduced when their autofocus system came out.
    Canon lenses contemporary with many of the Nikon lenses I'm currently
    using on my digital cameras can't be used on the Canon digital
    cameras.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 16, 2005
  6. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave R knows who" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ok, I have read the reviews and come away feeling very confused. I
    >>> like to take mainly recreational photos, lots of group (unposed)stuff,
    >>> especially in lower light levels, and some action. I like the
    >>> e-volt300, the Pentax *isDT, the Nikon D70, but can't decide which is
    >>> better (or other suggestions I haven't considered). The two things I
    >>> do not like about the point and shoot digitals I have used is the time
    >>> between shots (for which I have not been able to determine if there is
    >>> a technical term or consistent specs) and the lack of good low
    >>> available light capability. Any way out of this quandary or good
    >>> suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens. Am
    >>>
    >>> I asking too much?

    >> Nope. But you might want to consider the Canon, too. I like the fact all
    >> the
    >> old film lenses work with the current cameras. And do you think you might
    >> ever want to attached your new lenses to a old film camera? I do. OK,
    >> the
    >> EF-S lenses won't do this, but the other 50 will, so I'm waiting for a
    >> sweet
    >> deal on a EOS 3.

    > Actually, that's exactly backwards. The Pentax and Nikon *will* use
    > all the old film lenses. The Canon won't touch anything before their
    > new "EF" series, introduced when their autofocus system came out.
    > Canon lenses contemporary with many of the Nikon lenses I'm currently
    > using on my digital cameras can't be used on the Canon digital
    > cameras.

    If you read carefully I purposely didn't say the others couldn't because I
    do not know. I only stated what I did know about the Canon. A very quick
    look at the Canon Camera Museum shows at least one EF lens debuted in 1987,
    so we're getting close to two decades.

    That's good to know about the Nikon. You're saying their MF lenses can be
    used on the D70? Wow.
    Dave R knows who, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Peter

    Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Ok, I have read the reviews and come away feeling very confused. I
    > like to take mainly recreational photos, lots of group

    (unposed)stuff,
    > especially in lower light levels, and some action. I like the
    > e-volt300, the Pentax *isDT, the Nikon D70, but can't decide which is
    > better (or other suggestions I haven't considered). The two things I
    > do not like about the point and shoot digitals I have used is the

    time
    > between shots (for which I have not been able to determine if there

    is
    > a technical term or consistent specs) and the lack of good low
    > available light capability. Any way out of this quandary or good
    > suggestions? I do not want to spend more than $900 including lens.

    Am

    The EOS-350D will be out in a few days, and while it will initially be
    $1000 with lens, it will soon be on sale for around $900 (watch Dell
    for a 15% off sale combined with a $75 off coupon).

    Of the three you listed, either the *istD or the D70 are fine, avoid
    the E-300. But by all accounts, replacements for the *istD and the D70
    are coming very soon.

    The bottom line is that your best option for $900 will be the EOS-350D
    as soon as it is discounted, which should be in a month or two.

    Check "http://digitalslrinfo.com" for more information.
    , Mar 16, 2005
  8. Peter

    Guest

    > Actually, that's exactly backwards.

    Not really.

    > The Pentax and Nikon *will* use all the old film lenses.

    Well at least you can physically attach them."Use" is too generous a
    word.

    >The Canon won't touch anything before their new "EF" series,

    introduced when their autofocus system came out.

    Yes, the "new" EF series was introduced in 1987, about eighteen years
    ago. Not really "new."

    But here's the good part: Any _Canon_ lens designed for the EOS mount,
    will work on the digital bodies, with all functions operational (third
    party lenses for the EOS mount sometimes are flakey, i.e. Sigma
    lenses). You won't see the cryptic message in a chart: " Lens will
    mount - see specification sheet for functions provided." See a Nikon F
    mount lens compatibility chart:
    http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm.

    It is true that the very old Canon lenses, the FD mount lenses, cannot
    be used on the newer bodies (well actually they can be, with an
    adapter, but few people want to do this). At the time the EOS system
    was introduced, Canon sold a very high end adapter to adapt some of the
    professional FD lenses to the EOS mount, but it's been so long now,
    that it's been discontinued.

    Steve
    http://digitalslrinfo.com
    , Mar 16, 2005
  9. "Dave R knows who" <> writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dave R knows who" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> Nope. But you might want to consider the Canon, too. I like the fact all
    >>> the
    >>> old film lenses work with the current cameras. And do you think you might
    >>> ever want to attached your new lenses to a old film camera? I do. OK,
    >>> the
    >>> EF-S lenses won't do this, but the other 50 will, so I'm waiting for a
    >>> sweet
    >>> deal on a EOS 3.

    >> Actually, that's exactly backwards. The Pentax and Nikon *will* use
    >> all the old film lenses. The Canon won't touch anything before their
    >> new "EF" series, introduced when their autofocus system came out.
    >> Canon lenses contemporary with many of the Nikon lenses I'm currently
    >> using on my digital cameras can't be used on the Canon digital
    >> cameras.

    > If you read carefully I purposely didn't say the others couldn't because I
    > do not know. I only stated what I did know about the Canon. A very quick
    > look at the Canon Camera Museum shows at least one EF lens debuted in 1987,
    > so we're getting close to two decades.
    >
    > That's good to know about the Nikon. You're saying their MF lenses can be
    > used on the D70? Wow.

    Yes, and the D2X and the Kodak DCS 14n for that matter. (Anything
    that was or has been AId; the *really* old lenses that *only* have the
    external meter coupling won't work without modification.)

    And, most importantly (to me personally anyway), on my Fuji S2. I use
    24mm, 35mm, 58mm, 135mm, and 300mm large-aperture manual-focus lenses
    on mine. Oh, and the 500mm f8 Spiratone mirror lens, even.

    Also on the Nikon AF film SLRs, like my N90.

    Nikon is *starting* to ruin this by introducing "G" series lenses
    without an aperture ring. I can't use these new lenses on my older
    bodies, because the bodies have no way for me to control the
    aperture. I could use a G series on my N90 in shutter-priority or
    program modes, I guess, but I mostly run manual, so that's not so
    useful.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 17, 2005
  10. writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Actually, that's exactly backwards.

    > Not really.
    >
    >> The Pentax and Nikon *will* use all the old film lenses.

    > Well at least you can physically attach them."Use" is too generous a
    > word.
    >
    >>The Canon won't touch anything before their new "EF" series,

    > introduced when their autofocus system came out.
    >
    > Yes, the "new" EF series was introduced in 1987, about eighteen years
    > ago. Not really "new."

    Depends on your perspective. I'm still using photo equipment I bought
    well before then.

    > But here's the good part: Any _Canon_ lens designed for the EOS mount,
    > will work on the digital bodies, with all functions operational (third
    > party lenses for the EOS mount sometimes are flakey, i.e. Sigma
    > lenses). You won't see the cryptic message in a chart: " Lens will
    > mount - see specification sheet for functions provided." See a Nikon F
    > mount lens compatibility chart:
    > http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm.

    I've never looked at that chart except for amusement. I mount a lens,
    I use it; end of story.

    > It is true that the very old Canon lenses, the FD mount lenses,
    > cannot be used on the newer bodies (well actually they can be, with
    > an adapter, but few people want to do this). At the time the EOS
    > system was introduced, Canon sold a very high end adapter to adapt
    > some of the professional FD lenses to the EOS mount, but it's been
    > so long now, that it's been discontinued.

    See, several of the bodies and lenses I use now, I bought before Canon
    came out with their EOS line. I'm still using them, including with my
    Fuji S2 digital. It would have cost me thousands of dollars to
    replace those lenses and bodies when I got my first autofocus Nikon
    body; but because Nikon preserved lens mount compatibility, I didn't
    have to. Friends with Canon cameras were *furious* that their
    much-beloved gear had been made obsolete overnight. They lost a
    *boatload* of money, since the stuff had little resale value. And
    most of them ended up with Nikon or other gear, not new Canon gear,
    afterwards.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 17, 2005
  11. Peter

    Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Friends with Canon cameras were *furious* that their
    > much-beloved gear had been made obsolete overnight. They lost a
    > *boatload* of money, since the stuff had little resale value. And
    > most of them ended up with Nikon or other gear, not new Canon gear,
    > afterwards.

    Yet if Canon had not updated their lens mount, they would now be out of
    the SLR business, and your friends would still be angry. Are the same
    friends angry that the newer Nikon lenses for the Nikon digital SLRs
    don't work on their film SLRs, despite the fact that they can be
    physically attached? I am not angry that my two EF-S lenses cannot be
    used on my Canon film body.

    Nikon is now paying a very heavy price for not updating their F mount,
    and dealing with the furiousness of customers that believe that a
    company has an obligation to not improve their products if it makes
    previously purchased products have lower resale value. The dominance of
    Canon in digital SLRs is due not only to their sensor expertise, but to
    their superior lens mount and interface.
    , Mar 17, 2005
  12. writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> Friends with Canon cameras were *furious* that their
    >> much-beloved gear had been made obsolete overnight. They lost a
    >> *boatload* of money, since the stuff had little resale value. And
    >> most of them ended up with Nikon or other gear, not new Canon gear,
    >> afterwards.

    > Yet if Canon had not updated their lens mount, they would now be out of
    > the SLR business, and your friends would still be angry. Are the same
    > friends angry that the newer Nikon lenses for the Nikon digital SLRs
    > don't work on their film SLRs, despite the fact that they can be
    > physically attached? I am not angry that my two EF-S lenses cannot be
    > used on my Canon film body.

    I'm angry at Nikon for the "G" lenses, yes.

    > Nikon is now paying a very heavy price for not updating their F
    > mount, and dealing with the furiousness of customers that believe
    > that a company has an obligation to not improve their products if it
    > makes previously purchased products have lower resale value. The
    > dominance of Canon in digital SLRs is due not only to their sensor
    > expertise, but to their superior lens mount and interface.

    I think Nikon is still experiencing great benefits from preserving
    lens mount compatibility. Lots of people are still using classic
    Nikon glass on their new cameras, and are happy to do it.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 17, 2005
  13. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message

    > Nikon is *starting* to ruin this by introducing "G" series lenses
    > without an aperture ring. I can't use these new lenses on my older
    > bodies, because the bodies have no way for me to control the
    > aperture. I could use a G series on my N90 in shutter-priority or
    > program modes, I guess, but I mostly run manual, so that's not so
    > useful.

    This seems to be true for all the manufactures: they are making lenses which
    just will not work with film bodies. But I admire Canon: So far only the
    EF-S lenses cannot be used, and since they are not "L" quality builds I'm
    not worried.
    Dave R knows who, Mar 21, 2005
  14. "Dave R knows who" <> writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Nikon is *starting* to ruin this by introducing "G" series lenses
    >> without an aperture ring. I can't use these new lenses on my older
    >> bodies, because the bodies have no way for me to control the
    >> aperture. I could use a G series on my N90 in shutter-priority or
    >> program modes, I guess, but I mostly run manual, so that's not so
    >> useful.

    > This seems to be true for all the manufactures: they are making lenses which
    > just will not work with film bodies. But I admire Canon: So far only the
    > EF-S lenses cannot be used, and since they are not "L" quality builds I'm
    > not worried.

    Canon is still on the shit-list from when they completely orphaned
    their entire line of equipment when the introduced the EF lens mount.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 21, 2005
  15. Peter

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "Dave R knows who" <> wrote in message

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Nikon is *starting* to ruin this by introducing "G" series lenses
    >> without an aperture ring. I can't use these new lenses on my older
    >> bodies, because the bodies have no way for me to control the
    >> aperture. I could use a G series on my N90 in shutter-priority or
    >> program modes, I guess, but I mostly run manual, so that's not so
    >> useful.

    > This seems to be true for all the manufactures: they are making lenses
    > which just will not work with film bodies. But I admire Canon: So far only
    > the EF-S lenses cannot be used, and since they are not "L" quality builds
    > I'm not worried.

    Just read that Pentax is doing the same. Since the *ist D/DS has aperture
    controls on the camera I guess they don't think the redundancy is needed for
    digital. But like you, I would not be able to use them on other Pentax boxes
    for the same reason. Shutter priority would be my only option on my "A"
    series film boxes, but that's about it except for AE mode. I am not overly
    concerned since my collection of KA lenses is pretty good right now.

    Ed
    Ed Medlin, Mar 22, 2005
  16. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message

    > Canon is still on the shit-list from when they completely orphaned
    > their entire line of equipment when the introduced the EF lens mount.

    Time to move on. This was 17 years ago, and they did NOT orphan the FD mount
    users. Canon made a hige end adapter for a bunch of their pro lenses, and
    there were adapters for the other FD lenses as well. FD owners could
    continue to use their equipment. Their equipment did lose all resale value,
    but how many people buy into systems worrying about resale value?

    Was Canon obligated to continue producing the same product line forever? The
    FD system had limitations that could not be kludged to fix, which is what
    Nikon has been doing on the F mount for more than a decade. History has
    proven that Canon made the right decision. They would not dominate the
    professional digital market if they had stuck with the FD mount, they would
    have been out of the SLR business completely.

    I can, and do, still use my turntable, even though I can no longer buy new
    vinyl records.
    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 22, 2005
  17. Peter

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:54:53 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >"Dave R knows who" <> writes:
    >
    >> "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Nikon is *starting* to ruin this by introducing "G" series lenses
    >>> without an aperture ring. I can't use these new lenses on my older
    >>> bodies, because the bodies have no way for me to control the
    >>> aperture. I could use a G series on my N90 in shutter-priority or
    >>> program modes, I guess, but I mostly run manual, so that's not so
    >>> useful.

    >> This seems to be true for all the manufactures: they are making lenses which
    >> just will not work with film bodies. But I admire Canon: So far only the
    >> EF-S lenses cannot be used, and since they are not "L" quality builds I'm
    >> not worried.

    >Canon is still on the shit-list from when they completely orphaned
    >their entire line of equipment when the introduced the EF lens mount.

    Obviously, the "shit list" isn't working. :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Mar 22, 2005
  18. "Dave R knows who" <> wrote in message

    > This seems to be true for all the manufactures: they are making lenses

    which
    > just will not work with film bodies. But I admire Canon: So far only the
    > EF-S lenses cannot be used, and since they are not "L" quality builds I'm
    > not worried.

    I don't think that they'll make L lenses in EF-S, since they'll want all L
    lenses to be usable on their professional, full-frame, or 29x19mm sensor
    bodies.
    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 23, 2005
  19. Peter

    Skip M Guest

    > writes:
    >

    > See, several of the bodies and lenses I use now, I bought before Canon
    > came out with their EOS line. I'm still using them, including with my
    > Fuji S2 digital. It would have cost me thousands of dollars to
    > replace those lenses and bodies when I got my first autofocus Nikon
    > body; but because Nikon preserved lens mount compatibility, I didn't
    > have to. Friends with Canon cameras were *furious* that their
    > much-beloved gear had been made obsolete overnight. They lost a
    > *boatload* of money, since the stuff had little resale value. And
    > most of them ended up with Nikon or other gear, not new Canon gear,
    > afterwards.
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    > RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    > Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
    > <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    > Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

    Well, a Canon FD mount lens certainly wouldn't work on your Fuji S2, so
    that's largely irrelevant. And it was introduced long after the EF mount
    was, so that's also fudging the point.
    I had a bunch of FD mount stuff, too. Didn't make me furious, I figured
    that if I was going to use AF gear, I'd be buying new lenses, anyway,
    whether Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Minolta. Ended up buying Canon, because
    they still made sense, and by then, they had IS lenses that no one else had.
    Then traded my A-1, AE-1P and several Canon and non Canon lenses for a used
    1n, Elan and a couple of Canon USM lenses. So my experience doesn't match
    that of your acquaintances. And it's a nearly 20 year old beef, it's time
    to let go. The Nikon "G" lenses won't work on anything older than an N80,
    so that's not a valid argument, anymore, either.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Mar 23, 2005