    Looking for comments good and bad on these brands. All my previous experience
    is with Dells and clones.

    Ray M.

    RM2695, Jan 24, 2004

  2. RM2695

    Wizard Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Dell ................. 8.1 (Tech support gone down hill recently)
    Micron ............... 7.9 (inflexible and pricey)
    IBM .................. 6.8
    Gateway .............. 6.0 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    Compaq ............... 5.6
    Acer ................. 5.3
    Sony ................. 4.5
    AOpen ................ 4.2
    EMachines ............ 3.0
    HP ................... 2.9
    NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)

    Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    Wizard, Jan 24, 2004

  3. RM2695

    Thor Guest

    IMHO, crap and crap.

    Thor, Jan 24, 2004
  4. RM2695

    -------> Ian Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Wizard <> wrote:

    >X-No-Archive:Yes
    >
    >Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    >and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):
    >
    > Dell ................. 8.1 (Tech support gone down hill recently)
    > Micron ............... 7.9 (inflexible and pricey)
    > IBM .................. 6.8
    > Gateway .............. 6.0 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    > Compaq ............... 5.6
    > Acer ................. 5.3
    > Sony ................. 4.5
    > AOpen ................ 4.2
    > EMachines ............ 3.0
    > HP ................... 2.9
    > NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    > Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)
    >
    >Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    >because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    >you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    What about Value for Money?

    -------> Ian, Jan 24, 2004
  5. RM2695

    Thor Guest

    "-------> Ian" <> wrote in message
    > X-No-Archive:Yes
    >
    > Wizard <> wrote:
    >
    > >X-No-Archive:Yes
    > >
    > >Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    > >and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):
    > >
    > > Dell ................. 8.1 (Tech support gone down hill recently)
    > > Micron ............... 7.9 (inflexible and pricey)
    > > IBM .................. 6.8
    > > Gateway .............. 6.0 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    > > Compaq ............... 5.6
    > > Acer ................. 5.3
    > > Sony ................. 4.5
    > > AOpen ................ 4.2
    > > EMachines ............ 3.0
    > > HP ................... 2.9
    > > NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    > > Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)
    > >
    > >Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    > >because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    > >you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    > What about Value for Money?

    value for money means nothing if you buy a piece of shit to begin with. Look
    for something with good quality, performance, tech support and
    compatibility, and then shop for the lowest price in the ones that meet the
    first batch of criteria. You don't shop for lowest price first.

    Thor, Jan 24, 2004
  6. RM2695

    -------> Ian Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> What about Value for Money?

    >value for money means nothing if you buy a piece of shit to begin with. Look
    >for something with good quality, performance, tech support and
    >compatibility, and then shop for the lowest price in the ones that meet the
    >first batch of criteria. You don't shop for lowest price first.

    Yeah, but VFM doesn't mean the lowest price. It's a trade off between
    price and all of the things you mentioned. If you want to be more
    technical, some kind of marginal price of tech support (for instance)
    needs to be minimised, and work from there. An example is: suppose
    tech support of one computer is excellent, of another lousy. The
    excellent tech support one is £100 more. If I only use tech support
    five times over its life, that's £20 each time. Is it worth it?

    -------> Ian, Jan 24, 2004
  7. RM2695

    Wizard Guest

    Good ... Fast ..... Cheap; You can only get 2.

    Wizard, Jan 24, 2004
  8. RM2695

    -------> Ian Guest

    Wizard <> wrote:

    >Good ... Fast ..... Cheap; You can only get 2.

    Hmm, good & cheap.

    -------> Ian, Jan 24, 2004
  9. RM2695

    quiet_table Guest

    On 24 Jan 2004 14:19:44 GMT, (RM2695) wrote:

    > On sale at Staples 1/25 to 1/31 Compaq or HP package for $499.94. Looks
    >like a good deal for home computer.
    >Looking for comments good and bad on these brands. All my previous experience
    >is with Dells and clones.
    >
    >Ray M.

    Well, Compaq is now owned by HP, so they're essentially the same
    computer. I have owned a Compaq Presario, which has been going very
    strong for 4+ years, and I recently bought a new HP Pavilion which is
    a very sweet machine. What are the specs for the package you
    mentioned?

    Chris

    quiet_table, Jan 26, 2004