Purchase after trail

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sam Steinhauser, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. I have to have this OS! I don't want to buy an OEM version. Will there be
    away to buy this OS?
    Sam Steinhauser, Dec 21, 2005

  2. OEM XP Pro x64 is all there is, just like Media Center Edition x86. You can
    buy from some system builders.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2005

  3. What's wrong with OEM? Works great and if you pick it up from a dealer or
    Ebayer, they'll throw in some semi-useful component like a floppy cable as
    part of the deal...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 21, 2005
  4. I prefer retail editions myself, primarily because the license is
    transferable if I get another computer and there are not re-activation
    issues if I make serious changes to the hardware. Having said that, there
    is nothing wrong with OEM so I agree with you.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2005
  5. For me it's a matter of being conservative with the company buck. I have 6
    or 7 workstations to turn over in the next 18 months or so, so I try to pick
    up as many licenses for cheap as I can. I have a drawer with 5 unused XP Pro
    OEMs that cost about $100/ea. I only paid $110 for my 64 bit disk, and since
    it's in a new X2 build, I reckon I'll be looking at some OS upgrade by the
    time I'm ready to overhaul the system in 3 years or so... I'll probably be
    unable to resist Vista next year anyways, since I usually fall for the next
    shiny bauble that comes out...

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Sam Steinhauser

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with Colin, where possible I prefer retail for the same reason,
    transportability, and in one case for me, SP2 hosed my system so thoroughly
    that Microsoft's techs sent me a replacement with SP2 already installed.
    Sometimes they can be helpful.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2005