Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HArry, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. HArry

    HArry Guest

    I have been using a Canon Elf and an Olympus Camedia D540 for the past
    souple of years, but I am not very satisfed with them. I have been looking
    for a replacement, and I don't know if I need to move to the new, expensive
    SLR digitals from Canon and Nikon, or if there is something else out there
    that will meet my needs.

    I am looking for a camera that can recharge quickly, (for action shots), has
    a descent macro capability (I like photographing flowers, etc.), has enough
    resolution so that I can crop our unwanted parts (mistakes) and still have a
    good detail image, can take pictures in fairly low light conditions,
    auto-focuses fairly fast, and has a descent zoom.

    A couple of people I have talked to, tell me either (a) get a D70, which is
    fine but I feel that it may be an overkill, plus the learning curve may be
    steep, or (b) get a descent film camera and a good scanner, which I am not
    keen on, because I lose the the instant gratification of the digital, or (c)
    they tell me that a number of cameras in the $500 range would meet my needs
    and pictures are 90% technique/composition and 10% equipment, but can't
    recommend any of the *many* $500 cameras.

    Any help, advice, info would be greatly appreciated.

    Harry

    HArry, Oct 12, 2004

  2. HArry

    JohnH Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:00:08 -0400, "HArry" <> wrote:

    >I have been using a Canon Elf and an Olympus Camedia D540 for the past
    >souple of years, but I am not very satisfed with them. I have been looking
    >for a replacement, and I don't know if I need to move to the new, expensive
    >SLR digitals from Canon and Nikon, or if there is something else out there
    >that will meet my needs.
    >
    >I am looking for a camera that can recharge quickly, (for action shots), has
    >a descent macro capability (I like photographing flowers, etc.), has enough
    >resolution so that I can crop our unwanted parts (mistakes) and still have a
    >good detail image, can take pictures in fairly low light conditions,
    >auto-focuses fairly fast, and has a descent zoom.
    >
    >A couple of people I have talked to, tell me either (a) get a D70, which is
    >fine but I feel that it may be an overkill, plus the learning curve may be
    >steep, or (b) get a descent film camera and a good scanner, which I am not
    >keen on, because I lose the the instant gratification of the digital, or (c)
    >they tell me that a number of cameras in the $500 range would meet my needs
    >and pictures are 90% technique/composition and 10% equipment, but can't
    >recommend any of the *many* $500 cameras.
    >
    >Any help, advice, info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Harry

    Harry, I'm no expert. I bought the D70 and using the 'quickie' directions was
    taking super pictures in about 10 minutes. Yes, there's a lot more to learn, but
    the camera is simple to get started with.

    John H

    On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
    on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
    those who do binary and those who don't!

    JohnH, Oct 12, 2004

  3. HArry

    Pete K. Guest

    If you have the $$ and don't mind spending it, by all means get the DSLR.
    Better optics, wide lens selection, etc. But your friends are also right.
    The DSLR will not make you a better photographer. Many a great picture has
    been taken with an inexpensive camera. Plus, the Elf gives you the added
    advantage of always having it with you. Try lugging the DSLR, everywhere,
    in your pants pocket.

    So I guess, it's all about what is more important to you. I have no need
    for a DSLR.

    Pete K., Oct 15, 2004