    but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.

    Thanks for any info!

    - Martin.

    Martin, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Martin

    Graham. Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a pulse-dial to
    > tone-dial adaptor?
    >
    > I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's vintage phone,
    > but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.
    >
    > Thanks for any info!
    >
    > - Martin.

    I think the answer might lie with an LCR call router programmed to simply
    echo dialled digits.
    I am sure the Mitel SMarT1 call controllers I used to install years ago will
    convert LD to DTMF

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 23, 2006

  3. Martin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a
    > pulse-dial to tone-dial adaptor?
    >
    > I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's
    > vintage phone, but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA
    > only understands DTMF.
    >
    > Thanks for any info!
    >
    > - Martin.

    It may be overkill, but if you're really into old telephones you could
    look for a London 8 or London 16 PABX on eBay, they come up from time to
    time. They will accept either LD or DTMF phones and the exchange lines can
    be set to output in one or the other. So you would connect the exchange
    line ports up to your ATA and set them to dial out in DTMF, then whatever
    you connected to an extension would still send in MF to the line.

    I use a London 16 here to connect all my house phones, it's a good piece
    of kit. Each exchange or extension port has a separate line card and you
    can have up to 8 exchange lines so depending on which cards you have you
    could have 2 lines and 14 extensions, 3 lines and 13 extensions etc.

    See http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/london16.htm for some info.

    As I said they come up on eBay every so often at reasonable prices and are
    an ideal way to connect several house phones to VoIP and you get an
    internal phone system around the house as well..!

    There is also a version with what they call "hotel" firmware which allows
    things like programming an extension number to be the same as a room
    number and few other things, so watch for that if you get one. There is
    also, as you will see in the photo, an operator's console available, but
    for normal use it works fine without one. I have the user and programming
    manuals if you buy one and it doesn't come with them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a pulse-dial to
    >> tone-dial adaptor?
    >>
    >> I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's vintage phone,
    >> but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info!
    >>
    >> - Martin.

    > I think the answer might lie with an LCR call router programmed to simply
    > echo dialled digits.
    > I am sure the Mitel SMarT1 call controllers I used to install years ago will
    > convert LD to DTMF

    I'll bear that in mind as an option, thanks!

    Martin, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a
    >> pulse-dial to tone-dial adaptor?
    >>
    >> I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's
    >> vintage phone, but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA
    >> only understands DTMF.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info!
    >>
    >> - Martin.

    > It may be overkill, but if you're really into old telephones you could
    > look for a London 8 or London 16 PABX on eBay, they come up from time to
    > time. They will accept either LD or DTMF phones and the exchange lines can
    > be set to output in one or the other. So you would connect the exchange
    > line ports up to your ATA and set them to dial out in DTMF, then whatever
    > you connected to an extension would still send in MF to the line.

    Ah, now we're talking! Good geeky stuff, and actually more flexible in that
    the PSTN line and the VOIP ATA could be set up as independent outside lines.
    Which would mean that the VOIP ATA wasn't in circuit for purely BT calls (see
    other thread: it seems my VOIP adaptor drops incoming PSTN calls at random
    intervals). Just the re-cabling to worry about...

    > See http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/london16.htm for some info.

    An excellent website that I looked at earlier today as it happens! Solid lot
    of info there for vintage phones etc. I got there from a link from "Buzby's
    Boys" - http://www.dennishanna.com/buzby's%20boys.htm - which has some good
    old anecdotes from BT engineers of the pre-Thatcher days.

    Cheers,

    - Martin.

    Martin, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Martin