Pull Configs for a series of Switches with TFTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by KDawg44, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    Hello,

    I have inherited a problem or potential problem. We have not been
    very good at backing up our switch configurations. We have a number
    of cisco switches throughout three large offices. I would like to
    backup the configurations in a central location so if a switch fails,
    I can push the configuration back out with minimal downtime.

    What I would like to do is copy the running configuration to the
    startup config, then pull the config to a central server.

    Is there a way to do this easily? I would like to be able to pass in
    a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    in three different physical locations).

    Thanks.

    Kevin

    KDawg44, Sep 23, 2009

  2. KDawg44

    Rob Guest

    KDawg44 <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to do this easily? I would like to be able to pass in
    > a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    > in three different physical locations).

    Write an "expect" script. I regularly use that for similar things.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect

    Rob, Sep 23, 2009

  3. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Sep 23, 2:25 pm, Rob <> wrote:
    > KDawg44 <> wrote:
    > > Is there a way to do this easily?  I would like to be able to pass in
    > > a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    > > in three different physical locations).

    > Write an "expect" script.  I regularly use that for similar things.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect

    Thank you very much! That is perfect! I have now written a python
    script that uses pexpect (python's expect) that takes a file of the
    switches, goes out, does a write mem, then is set to TFTP it to the
    server with the switch name & date.

    Now, and perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this but I prefer
    the opinions here over a Windows board, what is the best TFTP to set
    up on a Windows 2003 server?

    Thanks again!

    Kevin

    KDawg44, Sep 23, 2009
  4. KDawg44

    klaus zerwes Guest

    KDawg44 schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have inherited a problem or potential problem. We have not been
    > very good at backing up our switch configurations. We have a number
    > of cisco switches throughout three large offices. I would like to
    > backup the configurations in a central location so if a switch fails,
    > I can push the configuration back out with minimal downtime.
    >
    > What I would like to do is copy the running configuration to the
    > startup config, then pull the config to a central server.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this easily? I would like to be able to pass in
    > a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    > in three different physical locations).

    Have a look at rancid - it stores the configs using CVS, so you may even
    restor a config from e few months ago.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Kevin

    Klaus

    --
    Klaus Zerwes
    http://www.zero-sys.net

    klaus zerwes, Sep 23, 2009
  5. KDawg44

    bod43 Guest

    On 23 Sep, 21:39, KDawg44 <> wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 2:25 pm, Rob <> wrote:
    >
    > > KDawg44 <> wrote:
    > > > Is there a way to do this easily?  I would like to be able to pass in
    > > > a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    > > > in three different physical locations).

    > > Write an "expect" script.  I regularly use that for similar things.

    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect

    > Thank you very much!  That is perfect!  I have now written a python
    > script that uses pexpect (python's expect) that takes a file of the
    > switches, goes out, does a write mem, then is set to TFTP it to the
    > server with the switch name & date.
    >
    > Now, and perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this but I prefer
    > the opinions here over a Windows board, what is the best TFTP to set
    > up on a Windows 2003 server?

    I have used tftpd32 http://tftpd32.jounin.net/, for decades,
    it seems like. Other than feature creep no problems at all.
    I would consider an older version to avoid having to worry
    about dhcp server, bootp server etc.

    Maybe version 2.2?
    http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

    This may of course cause other issues - not sure.

    You can turn off the bits you don't want. It is very small and
    did not previously require installation. No idea about the
    latest Open Source versions - hopefully all you need
    still is the .exe.

    bod43, Sep 23, 2009
  6. On 24.09.09 11:12, klaus zerwes wrote:
    > KDawg44 schrieb:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have inherited a problem or potential problem. We have not been
    >> very good at backing up our switch configurations. We have a number
    >> of cisco switches throughout three large offices. I would like to
    >> backup the configurations in a central location so if a switch fails,
    >> I can push the configuration back out with minimal downtime.
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is copy the running configuration to the
    >> startup config, then pull the config to a central server.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to do this easily? I would like to be able to pass in
    >> a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and
    >> in three different physical locations).

    > Have a look at rancid - it stores the configs using CVS, so you may even
    > restor a config from e few months ago.

    yep. rancid is very good.
    using it with 3745, 3750, 26xx, 28xx, 72xx, 73xx, pix and so on
    every cisco devices; also using it with juniper and huawei
    + cvs-web cgi very perfect

    Alexander Romanov, Sep 24, 2009