Pukekohe UBS down at Midnite, anywhere else?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The stragest thing happened last night. I was playing Diablo 2 on the US
    West server through my Orcon 256 kbps UBS connection and I got 'dropped'. I
    checked the lights on the modem/router and the DSL connection wasn't
    present. The machine kept trying and, five minutes later, connected again. I
    went to go back to my game but couldn't connect, got a message saying check
    modem.

    I opened OE and hit 'synch all' and messages downloaded from Dave's server
    but not from Orcon's, I got an error mesage. About then I lost the
    connection again and it came back 15 minutes later. However, I still
    couldn't connect to US West server or Orcon's newsserver. As an experiment I
    treid connecting the game to US East and Asia, both of which connected
    successfully. I could also browse NZ web pages but had problems with some
    international ones, mainly US AFAICT. I went and watched a one-hour show
    (House) on video and came back and everything was fine except the people I
    was playing with were long gone and the game was over.

    Apparently I'm on "Pukekohe 2" ASAM/DSLAM (whatever the acronym is). Was
    anyone else online at this time and notice this phenomena? Just wondering if
    it was local to me or more widespread.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    Nova Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > The stragest thing happened last night. I was playing Diablo 2 on the US
    > West server through my Orcon 256 kbps UBS connection and I got 'dropped'. I
    > checked the lights on the modem/router and the DSL connection wasn't
    > present. The machine kept trying and, five minutes later, connected again. I
    > went to go back to my game but couldn't connect, got a message saying check
    > modem.
    >
    > I opened OE and hit 'synch all' and messages downloaded from Dave's server
    > but not from Orcon's, I got an error mesage. About then I lost the
    > connection again and it came back 15 minutes later. However, I still
    > couldn't connect to US West server or Orcon's newsserver. As an experiment I
    > treid connecting the game to US East and Asia, both of which connected
    > successfully. I could also browse NZ web pages but had problems with some
    > international ones, mainly US AFAICT. I went and watched a one-hour show
    > (House) on video and came back and everything was fine except the people I
    > was playing with were long gone and the game was over.
    >
    > Apparently I'm on "Pukekohe 2" ASAM/DSLAM (whatever the acronym is). Was
    > anyone else online at this time and notice this phenomena? Just wondering if
    > it was local to me or more widespread.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    it wasnt just you, i went down at least twice around midniht also and
    i'm over on the north shore. ubs went down for about 5 minutes, came
    back up, then died again about 2 minutes later then came up again about
    5 minutes later..
    Nova, Apr 23, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> The stragest thing happened last night. I was playing Diablo 2 on
    >> the US West server through my Orcon 256 kbps UBS connection and I
    >> got 'dropped'. I checked the lights on the modem/router and the DSL
    >> connection wasn't present. The machine kept trying and, five minutes
    >> later, connected again. I went to go back to my game but couldn't
    >> connect, got a message saying check modem.
    >>
    >> I opened OE and hit 'synch all' and messages downloaded from Dave's
    >> server but not from Orcon's, I got an error mesage. About then I
    >> lost the connection again and it came back 15 minutes later.
    >> However, I still couldn't connect to US West server or Orcon's
    >> newsserver. As an experiment I treid connecting the game to US East
    >> and Asia, both of which connected successfully. I could also browse
    >> NZ web pages but had problems with some international ones, mainly
    >> US AFAICT. I went and watched a one-hour show (House) on video and
    >> came back and everything was fine except the people I was playing
    >> with were long gone and the game was over.
    >>
    >> Apparently I'm on "Pukekohe 2" ASAM/DSLAM (whatever the acronym is).
    >> Was anyone else online at this time and notice this phenomena? Just
    >> wondering if it was local to me or more widespread.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > it wasnt just you, i went down at least twice around midniht also and
    > i'm over on the north shore. ubs went down for about 5 minutes, came
    > back up, then died again about 2 minutes later then came up again
    > about 5 minutes later..

    Ok, thanks for that. It was really strange that I could get some NZ webpages
    but not Orcon's newsserver or email and US East and Asia but not US West for
    quite a while when it came back on.

    What providor are you with?

    Maybe it was the change-over to/introduction of the promised new Southern
    Cross connection that Telecom has been provisioning? Although that's usually
    done at 4am.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Nova Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>The stragest thing happened last night. I was playing Diablo 2 on
    >>>the US West server through my Orcon 256 kbps UBS connection and I
    >>>got 'dropped'. I checked the lights on the modem/router and the DSL
    >>>connection wasn't present. The machine kept trying and, five minutes
    >>>later, connected again. I went to go back to my game but couldn't
    >>>connect, got a message saying check modem.
    >>>
    >>>I opened OE and hit 'synch all' and messages downloaded from Dave's
    >>>server but not from Orcon's, I got an error mesage. About then I
    >>>lost the connection again and it came back 15 minutes later.
    >>>However, I still couldn't connect to US West server or Orcon's
    >>>newsserver. As an experiment I treid connecting the game to US East
    >>>and Asia, both of which connected successfully. I could also browse
    >>>NZ web pages but had problems with some international ones, mainly
    >>>US AFAICT. I went and watched a one-hour show (House) on video and
    >>>came back and everything was fine except the people I was playing
    >>>with were long gone and the game was over.
    >>>
    >>>Apparently I'm on "Pukekohe 2" ASAM/DSLAM (whatever the acronym is).
    >>>Was anyone else online at this time and notice this phenomena? Just
    >>>wondering if it was local to me or more widespread.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~
    >>>

    >>it wasnt just you, i went down at least twice around midniht also and
    >>i'm over on the north shore. ubs went down for about 5 minutes, came
    >>back up, then died again about 2 minutes later then came up again
    >>about 5 minutes later..

    > Ok, thanks for that. It was really strange that I could get some NZ webpages
    > but not Orcon's newsserver or email and US East and Asia but not US West for
    > quite a while when it came back on.
    >
    > What providor are you with?
    >
    > Maybe it was the change-over to/introduction of the promised new Southern
    > Cross connection that Telecom has been provisioning? Although that's usually
    > done at 4am.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I'm with orcon also.
    Nova, Apr 23, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Nova wrote:

    >>> it wasnt just you, i went down at least twice around midniht also
    >>> and i'm over on the north shore. ubs went down for about 5 minutes,
    >>> came back up, then died again about 2 minutes later then came up
    >>> again about 5 minutes later..

    >> Ok, thanks for that. It was really strange that I could get some NZ
    >> webpages but not Orcon's newsserver or email and US East and Asia
    >> but not US West for quite a while when it came back on.
    >>
    >> What providor are you with?
    >>
    >> Maybe it was the change-over to/introduction of the promised new
    >> Southern Cross connection that Telecom has been provisioning?
    >> Although that's usually done at 4am.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > I'm with orcon also.