Publishing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendan, May 11, 2006.

  1. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).

    What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.

    E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.

    Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?

    Thanks.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Two blondes walk into a building..........
    you'd think at least one of them would have seen it.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 2:26:30 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 11, 2006

  2. Brendan

    anon k Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    > small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).
    >
    > What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    > commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.
    >
    > E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    to get the job done.

    anon k, May 11, 2006

  3. Brendan

    Bob M Guest

    That size of run is in the PC and injet printer range.
    Cost of plates doesnt become economic untill you are getting up to
    hundreds of copies.

    Bob M

    Bob M, May 11, 2006
  4. "Bob M" <> wrote in message
    > That size of run is in the PC and injet printer range.
    > Cost of plates doesnt become economic untill you are getting up to
    > hundreds of copies.
    >
    > Bob M

    Digital printing is still an option though. These days plates aren't worth
    it unless you are up in the low thousands.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, May 12, 2006
  5. Brendan

    KewlKiwi Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    > commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.

    Have a look at http://freeserifsoftware.com/

    It contains a number of Serif programs, all being earlier versions of
    the current ones, and all free.

    PageplusSE is the one to go for if you want to do DTP.

    Note that at the bottom of the page it mentions Pageplus 9 - the current
    version is 11.

    Bob

    KewlKiwi, May 12, 2006
  6. Brendan

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in

    > Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?

    I work for a place that makes a machine that does this very thing.
    http://www.konicaminolta.co.nz/viewer.aspx?ID=120
    The booklet maker will do the job if you don't need a spine.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2006
  7. Brendan

    anon k Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > "Bob M" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>That size of run is in the PC and injet printer range.
    >>Cost of plates doesnt become economic untill you are getting up to
    >>hundreds of copies.
    >>
    >>Bob M
    >>

    > Digital printing is still an option though. These days plates aren't worth
    > it unless you are up in the low thousands.

    Photopolymer plates are cheap, and suited to small runs. They typically
    wear out by the time you're in the thousands.

    anon k, May 12, 2006
  8. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 18:31:08 +1200, KewlKiwi wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    >> commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.

    > Have a look at http://freeserifsoftware.com/
    >
    > It contains a number of Serif programs, all being earlier versions of
    > the current ones, and all free.
    >
    > PageplusSE is the one to go for if you want to do DTP.
    >
    > Note that at the bottom of the page it mentions Pageplus 9 - the current
    > version is 11.
    >
    > Bob

    ta.

    Looking for a self-publishing shop...

    I'll see how it compares to corel draw 12 though.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Two fat blokes in a pub, one says to the other "Your round." The
    other one says "So are you, you fat bast**d!"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 8:56:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 13, 2006
  9. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On 12 May 2006 20:44:53 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    >> Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?

    > I work for a place that makes a machine that does this very thing.
    > http://www.konicaminolta.co.nz/viewer.aspx?ID=120
    > The booklet maker will do the job if you don't need a spine.

    Thanks Dave. Bit expensive for 25 booklets...

    We are looking for a self-publishing shop. e.g. somewhere we can send the
    file to, and have it printed and bound, for cheap.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #24 +(5628)- [X]

    <ckx> women ask for it
    <ckx> they act all old and mature
    <ckx> and then you stick your cock up their ass
    <ckx> and they get all bitchy
    <ckx> "I"M ONLY 13, I'M ONLY 13!!!"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 8:53:57 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 13, 2006
  10. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On 11 May 2006 13:09:35 -0700, Bob M wrote:

    > That size of run is in the PC and injet printer range.

    Laser printer maybe, would hate to try that many on an inkjet. And the cost
    of the ink cartridges could easily get to several hundred dollars - I think
    you'd go through a few (but correct me if I am wrong).

    > Cost of plates doesnt become economic untill you are getting up to
    > hundreds of copies.

    Yes.

    I was thinking along the lines of a commercial print shop with a nice big
    laser printer, one of those that does binding etc as well.

    Question is where, and how much ? Looking for prices. Who is good and cheap
    ?

    Thanks.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #205195 +(3699)- [X]

    <MortalKombat> stfu mat|t u cu.nt
    * Acaila sets mode: +b MortalKombat!*@*
    <@Acaila> FINISH HIM
    <mat|t> rofl
    <MortalKombat> omg wtf man
    * MortalKombat was kicked by Acaila (forward, forward, back, back, forward,
    punch)
    <@Acaila> FATALITY!

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 10:33:01 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 13, 2006
  11. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:55:39 GMT, anon k wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    >> small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).
    >>
    >> What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    >> commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.
    >>
    >> E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.
    >>
    >> Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    > a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    > do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    > The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    > to get the job done.

    A book of poetry, text and pictures, produced with Corel Draw 12.

    Binding: prefer stitched or glued, but cost is a factor so it might be best
    stapled.

    Paper: prefer 100 gsm white, but cost again.

    Cover: probably 200 gsm card or a little more.

    We might bind them ourselves, but have no skills in this area, nor
    equipment.

    Thanks for your help.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #14258 +(3697)- [X]

    <Sigurd> a sprite is anything not static
    <SRElysian> a sprite is a variable object
    <SRElysian> be it 2d or 3d
    <TorMuck> a sprite is a fucking soda
    <TorMuck> you god damn geekass bastards

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/05/2006 10:25:44 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 13, 2006
  12. Brendan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:55:39 GMT, anon k wrote:
    >
    >> Brendan wrote:
    >>> I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    >>> small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).
    >>>
    >>> What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    >>> commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.
    >>>
    >>> E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    >> a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    >> do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    >> The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    >> to get the job done.

    > A book of poetry, text and pictures, produced with Corel Draw 12.
    >
    > Binding: prefer stitched or glued, but cost is a factor so it might be best
    > stapled.
    >
    > Paper: prefer 100 gsm white, but cost again.
    >
    > Cover: probably 200 gsm card or a little more.
    >
    > We might bind them ourselves, but have no skills in this area, nor
    > equipment.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Check out http://www.lulu.com, for low volumes they may be viable, and
    for prototyping/proofs they certainly will be. I don't know how well
    this fits into your definition of cheap, I guess it depends on the
    quality you want and the size of the run you are considering.

    ==================== OT ===================

    An interesting site in its own right, with many interesting
    publications, an interesting mission statement (which I don't have a
    link to, sorry). Basically set up as an action against recent trends in
    copyright, figuring that if more material was published by individuals
    and less by large companies, the whole landscape of the copyright debate
    would change.

    From http://www.lulu.com/about/whoislulu/

    "Okay, that's what we tell everyone... this is who we really are:

    Bob: Head Dishwasher and Fearless Leader

    Likes: Red socks, talking, hockey, talking, the Hamilton Ticats,
    talking, Curta calculators, talking, riding in planes, talking, EBAY and
    did I mention talking?"

    Note Bob likes red socks, but also probably likes red hats, too ;-) He
    used to be a typewriter salesman.

    He's Bob Young and I'm sure Tea will have something to say about that...

    -=rjh=-, May 13, 2006
  13. Brendan

    Enkidu Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:55:39 GMT, anon k wrote:
    >

    >>Brendan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    >>>small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).
    >>>
    >>>What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    >>>commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.
    >>>
    >>>E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >>It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    >>a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    >>do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    >> The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    >>to get the job done.

    > A book of poetry, text and pictures, produced with Corel Draw 12.
    >
    > Binding: prefer stitched or glued, but cost is a factor so it might be best
    > stapled.
    >
    > Paper: prefer 100 gsm white, but cost again.
    >
    > Cover: probably 200 gsm card or a little more.
    >
    > We might bind them ourselves, but have no skills in this area, nor
    > equipment.

    Have you tried the library at the local varsity? They bind theses and
    things.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 13, 2006
  14. Brendan

    shannon Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On 11 May 2006 13:09:35 -0700, Bob M wrote:
    >
    >> That size of run is in the PC and injet printer range.

    > Laser printer maybe, would hate to try that many on an inkjet. And the cost
    > of the ink cartridges could easily get to several hundred dollars - I think
    > you'd go through a few (but correct me if I am wrong).
    >
    >> Cost of plates doesnt become economic untill you are getting up to
    >> hundreds of copies.

    > Yes.
    >
    > I was thinking along the lines of a commercial print shop with a nice big
    > laser printer, one of those that does binding etc as well.
    >
    > Question is where, and how much ? Looking for prices. Who is good and cheap
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use Printstop printstop.co.nz, for presentation packs, cards and
    brochures, but their site appears to be down at the moment
    I have also used Ultracopy http://www.ultracopy.co.nz/nindex.htm who
    offer folding stapling stitching wire-binding spiral-binding etc
    Its a competitive business and they all offer online file transfer and
    courier delivery.

    shannon, May 13, 2006
  15. Do send a file to a publishing shop. There is a risk that their
    software will case minor (or major) formatting changes.

    Provide a .pdf file. The publishing shop can print directly from this
    format, but at a higher resolution than most standard printers.

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, May 13, 2006
  16. Brendan

    Jasen Betts Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to nz.comp.]
    On 2006-05-12, Brendan <> wrote:

    > I was thinking along the lines of a commercial print shop with a nice big
    > laser printer, one of those that does binding etc as well.
    >
    > Question is where, and how much ? Looking for prices. Who is good and cheap
    > ?

    I think a run of 25 is more in the line of a copy shop.
    warehouse stationary does that stuff AFAIR but there's probably idepennat
    placces that are better and/or less expensive.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 15, 2006
  17. Brendan

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-12, Brendan <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:55:39 GMT, anon k wrote:
    >
    >> Brendan wrote:
    >>> I have a friend who is pursuing a small project involving self-publishing a
    >>> small run of booklets (25 to 50, 20 A4 sheets odd each, double sided).
    >>>
    >>> What we are looking for is advice and experiences, and any recommended
    >>> commercial print shops, with an eye toward economy of total price.
    >>>
    >>> E.g. we want to print a small run of books cheaply.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone here have any wisdom on the subject ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    >> a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    >> do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    >> The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    >> to get the job done.

    > A book of poetry, text and pictures, produced with Corel Draw 12.
    >
    > Binding: prefer stitched or glued, but cost is a factor so it might be best
    > stapled.
    >
    > Paper: prefer 100 gsm white, but cost again.

    80 gsm paper is less than *.02 per sheet retail

    1000 sheets of 100GSM won't break the bank,
    if you want acid-free paper that may increase the price.

    > Cover: probably 200 gsm card or a little more.

    > We might bind them ourselves, but have no skills in this area, nor
    > equipment.

    a decent copy shop will have hot-melt glue based binding equipment.

    otherwise you could try a book-binder

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 15, 2006
  18. Brendan

    anon k Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2006-05-12, Brendan <> wrote:

    >>>It's not clear what kind of book you're producing - whether an art book,
    >>>a formal report, or something else. What kind of binding, ink and paper
    >>>do you want, and do you have the time and desire to bind them yourself?
    >>> The answers to these questions have a strong bearing on where you'd go
    >>>to get the job done.

    >>A book of poetry, text and pictures, produced with Corel Draw 12.
    >>
    >>Binding: prefer stitched or glued, but cost is a factor so it might be best
    >>stapled.
    >>
    >>Paper: prefer 100 gsm white, but cost again.

    > 80 gsm paper is less than *.02 per sheet retail
    >
    > 1000 sheets of 100GSM won't break the bank,
    > if you want acid-free paper that may increase the price.
    >

    >>Cover: probably 200 gsm card or a little more.

    >>We might bind them ourselves, but have no skills in this area, nor
    >>equipment.

    > a decent copy shop will have hot-melt glue based binding equipment.
    >
    > otherwise you could try a book-binder
    >

    >>Thanks for your help.

    For such a short booklet, printing on A3, then folding in half to A4 for
    stapling or stitching sounds like the best option. Pretty much any
    print bureau can do the printing and stapling, but you may have to look
    around to find someone who stitches in a way that you like.

    You could print on A4, glue the spine and wrap a cover over it hiding
    the glue (so-called "perfect" binding as used on cheap paperbacks) but
    since the spine isn't going to be very thick, the cover would likely be
    much more durable glued to the first and last pages rather than to the
    spine itself. This also gives a neater finish as you won't see any
    surplus glue squeezed out inside where the cover joins the spine.

    It sounds like you intend this work to be somewhat ephemeral. If so, I
    wouldn't go for acid free, nor for a heavy paper. These tend to look
    incongruous when printed on by office-oriented print bureaux.

    anon k, May 16, 2006
  19. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:50:05 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > Do send a file to a publishing shop. There is a risk that their
    > software will case minor (or major) formatting changes.
    >
    > Provide a .pdf file. The publishing shop can print directly from this
    > format, but at a higher resolution than most standard printers.

    Thanks for the advice.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
    They left a little note on the windscreen. It said, 'Parking Fine.'
    So that was nice."

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/05/2006 2:22:56 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 18, 2006
  20. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:49:34 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Have you tried the library at the local varsity? They bind theses and
    > things.

    Would, but we only have a polytech and last I knew they only had a photo
    copier....

    --

    .... Brendan

    A man came round in hospital after a serious accident.
    He shouted, "Doctor, doctor, I can't feel my legs!"
    The doctor replied, "I know you can't, I've cut your arms off".

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/05/2006 2:24:36 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 18, 2006