    any documentation on setting up a seperate wireless mesh network connected
    straight to the internet for guest access? Any info would very greatly
    appreciated.

    PL, Nov 15, 2007

  2. PL

    Todd H. Guest

    "PL" <> writes:

    > My organization has a proposal from a vendor which will run 2 wireless
    > networks seperated by using VLAN tagging. One network is for business
    > use and the 2nd for guest access.

    Does the vendor rhyme with Crisco? And the solution rhyme with
    Flaironet?

    If so, that's best of breed stuff.

    > The guest access communication packets will actually traverse our
    > physical wire through our firewalls and mulitple security zones
    > before leaving out to the internet. I believe this will be a major
    > compromise to our overall security posture but can't find
    > documentation to prove it. i have found some VLAN vulnerability
    > info but no security best practice white papers recommending against
    > it. Does anyone out there have a credible source of information that
    > could spell out the reason not to do this? Or, any documentation on
    > setting up a seperate wireless mesh network connected straight to
    > the internet for guest access? Any info would very greatly
    > appreciated.

    You have a legitimate concern.

    The security of the installation depends on the security of the
    switches involved. VLAN tagging is quite strong if you can trust the
    switches and devices implementing it to be up to date with updates.

    Very large corporate and commercial data centers rely on vlan tagging
    to work, so if there were current vulnerabilities, you should hear a
    BIG stink about it in the press.

    Naturally there's no harm in pushing a hungry vendor on the point and
    seeing if there's a way it can be configured to use a dedicated DSL
    line or whatever so that a minimum of guest traffic traverses any part
    of your network, or the least possible number of devices on your
    network.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.