    Is it safe to use public proxy server for anonymous surfing? Would the
    security of my user account information and passwords be compromised?

    Thanks
    JerryT, Sep 21, 2004

  2. JerryT

    Anonymous Guest

    "JerryT" <> wrote in news:jjN3d.12945
    $:

    > Is it safe to use public proxy server for anonymous surfing? Would the
    > security of my user account information and passwords be compromised?
    >
    > Thanks

    If the passwords are sent in an encrypted format, like SSL, then your
    passwords will be secure.
    If they are sent in plaintext, then there is a security risk that the
    proxy administrator could packet sniff and intercept the passwords.

    As for anonymous surfing, a public proxy would prevent most people from
    obtaining your IP address, but you must remember that most public proxy
    servers *do log activity* at their servers. This is because most public
    proxies are actually incorrectly configured proxies that allow
    connections from outside the network. They are not there especially for
    making you anonymous.
    If you want proper anonymity, then you should use a commercial service
    like cotse from www.cotse.net

    --
    The email address used is fake. Any replies will not be read!
    If you want to reply, reply to the newsgroup instead.

    This message and any attachments have been scanned for viruses by NOD32
    and Sophos Anti-Virus so is unlikely to contain malicious or self-
    replicating code.

    Visit my computer security website!
    http://storm.prohosting.com/compsecu
    and