Public disposable email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dominic Wilkins, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. What is one and how can I use it?
    Dominic Wilkins, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Dominic Wilkins

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dominic Wilkins" <> wrote in message
    news:pPHwe.13367$...
    > What is one and how can I use it?

    Sign up for a free hotmail, yahoo, excite, etc. email account (see their
    respective web pages.) Use that account for filling in web forms, email to
    people you don't want to have your real email address, etc.

    Here's some more VERY important reading:

    Email Address Munging
    WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/
    I'd suggest you add a ".invalid" to the end of your new fake email address
    where it's listed in your account settings. In Outlook Express, click on
    Tools, Accounts, then the News Tab. Select your news server, then click on
    Properties. On the General tab, go to the Email address and add the .invalid
    at the end of the address.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005

  3. Dominic Wilkins

    Vanguard Guest

    > What is one and how can I use it?

    Besides the freebie webmail accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Excite, etc.)
    which require no real authentication of who you are (i.e., they are free
    and anyone can signup for a freebie account), you could also use an
    e-mail alias. Some e-mail providers already have an alias function
    (although some are pretty stupid in that they just have you append some
    additional string onto your username). I use Sneakemail which has both
    free and paid accounts (the free accounts have smaller quotas but far
    more than I need when using an alias). Their site better describes why
    is e-mail aliasing rather than just simply e-mail forwarding. You
    could, for example, create a unique e-mail alias for each untrusted
    recipient so you'll know exactly who reamed you when you start getting
    spammed through that alias.

    Another type of disposable e-mail is a one-time use account, like at
    Trashmail.net, where you create an alias which can accept just one
    inbound e-mail and then becomes disabled or deleted. That way you can
    get, say, a confirmation e-mail on signing up for access to a site but
    they'll never be able to send you any e-mails thereafter to that
    address.

    Note that some sites or services will not permit you to use them if you
    provide a free webmail address, one of the free e-mail alias accounts,
    trashmail.net, or some other known disposable account.
    Vanguard, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Dominic Wilkins

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Dominic Wilkins" <> wrote in message
    >> What is one and how can I use it?
    >>

    > Besides the freebie webmail accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Excite, etc.) which
    > require no real authentication of who you are (i.e., they are free and
    > anyone can signup for a freebie account), you could also use an e-mail
    > alias. Some e-mail providers already have an alias function (although
    > some are pretty stupid in that they just have you append some additional
    > string onto your username). I use Sneakemail which has both free and paid
    > accounts (the free accounts have smaller quotas but far more than I need
    > when using an alias). Their site better describes why is e-mail aliasing
    > rather than just simply e-mail forwarding. You could, for example, create
    > a unique e-mail alias for each untrusted recipient so you'll know exactly
    > who reamed you when you start getting spammed through that alias.
    >
    > Another type of disposable e-mail is a one-time use account, like at
    > Trashmail.net, where you create an alias which can accept just one inbound
    > e-mail and then becomes disabled or deleted. That way you can get, say, a
    > confirmation e-mail on signing up for access to a site but they'll never
    > be able to send you any e-mails thereafter to that address.
    >
    ><snip>

    I'd never heard of Trashmail.net - that's pretty cool! When I have to
    provide an email address to some blasted site that I don't want sending me
    their trash, I'll often put their own email address back in - i.e.,
    postmaster@whatever... or something like that <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Dominic Wilkins wrote:

    > What is one and how can I use it?

    www.spamgourmet.com - the one I also use. You can specify how many messages
    you want to receive for a new alias (and you can actually invent new
    aliases without contacting the website, if your last is due to expire).
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Dominic Wilkins

    Barney Guest

    "Dominic Wilkins" <> had
    writtennews:pPHwe.13367$:

    > What is one and how can I use it?

    The "disposable" is one you can use temporarily such as signing up
    to a site you don't want to give your true email address to.
    Despammed.com allows you to forward mail to another address or store
    it briefly and reply. Other such email adress's only allow you to
    check mail but not much else. I use despammed on news groups and
    even then deviate slightly from giving a true address. That in
    itself eliminated spam from my real mail box.

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!
    Barney, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Dominic Wilkins

    Plato Guest

    Dominic Wilkins wrote:

    > What is one and how can I use it?

    Get a yahoo one, only seconds to create and start using.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 1, 2005
  8. Dominic Wilkins

    jp10558 Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:22:55 GMT, Dominic Wilkins wrote:

    > What is one and how can I use it?

    Check out www.spamex.com too - pay service, but great IMHO. $10 a year for
    no spam is great.
    jp10558, Jul 2, 2005