PTE address of IA64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?=, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I'm not sure but I found a strange thing in the
    Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth Edition Question.

    In page 423, Figure 7-13 IA-64 address space layout, describes that
    8GB, 8MB, 8KB table maps are mapped at
    PTE 1FFFFF0000000000
    PDE 1FFFFFFFC0000000
    PPE 1FFFFFFFFFF00000

    In my test on my IA64 server operated by Windows server 2003 build 3790,
    I saw different address by windbg

    kd> !pte
    VA 0000000000000000
    PPE at 1FFFFFFF80000000 PDE at 1FFFFE0000000000 PTE at 1FF8000000000000

    Why the addresses are different?
    I need some explanation.

    Thanks,
    Seon Kim

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?=, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Your problem is associated with Windows 64-Bit for itanium systems, this
    group is for AMD 64 and Intel EM64T Windows x64

    Check here:
    microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005

  3. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Your problem is associated with Windows 64-Bit for itanium systems, this
    > group is for AMD 64 and Intel EM64T Windows x64
    >
    > Check here:
    > microsoft.public.windows.server.general

    Andre - this group is *.64bit.general and IS for ALL of our 64-bit operating
    systems not just the x64 one.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  4. Really? I didn't know we deal with Windows for Itanium issues also. I
    thought it was specific to the architecture itself.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  5. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Really? I didn't know we deal with Windows for Itanium issues also. I
    > thought it was specific to the architecture itself.

    It is specific to 64-bit Windows. Architecturally independent. So we cover
    IA-64 as well as x64

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  6. Just as long as its 64 bit, I understand now, thanks.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?=

    Sean M Guest

    Oh what I would give to have access to an IA64.... *sigh*

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Me too, but its not all that great since its optimized mostly for High end
    server environments and powerful workstations.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  9. Zero interest, thank you. ;)

    But then, I don't run huge web sites or massive databases or such. x64 is
    quite enough for me, AND I can still run 32-bit apps on it acceptibly.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  10. We just want one for enthusiastic purposes Charlie. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  11. Andre and Mike,

    Do you think you could give me any explanation about the subject of this
    article?

    Thanks,

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?=, Jul 12, 2005
  12. I am afraid I don't have any knowledge in this area, Mike or Charlie would
    be more suitable. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  13. Hello Seon,
    I have the question out but I haven't heard back yet.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2VvbiBLaW0=?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: PTE address of IA64
    <Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:03:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Andre and Mike,
    <
    <Do you think you could give me any explanation about the subject of this
    <article?
    <
    <Thanks,
    <
    <"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    <
    <> We just want one for enthusiastic purposes Charlie. ;-)
    <> --
    <> Andre
    <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message
    <> news:...
    <> > Zero interest, thank you. ;)
    <> >
    <> > But then, I don't run huge web sites or massive databases or such. x64
    is
    <> > quite enough for me, AND I can still run 32-bit apps on it acceptibly.
    <> >
    <> >
    <> > --
    <> > Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    <> > ======================
    <> > Sean M wrote:
    <> >> Oh what I would give to have access to an IA64.... *sigh*
    <> >>
    <> >> -- Sean M
    <> >>
    <> >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    <> >> news:%239Q$...
    <> >>> Just as long as its 64 bit, I understand now, thanks.
    <> >>> --
    <> >>> Andre
    <> >>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> >>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> >>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> >>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> >>>
    <> >>> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <> wrote in
    <> >>> message news:u25eD$...
    <> >>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <> >>>> message news:%...
    <> >>>>> Really? I didn't know we deal with Windows for Itanium issues
    <> >>>>> also. I thought it was specific to the architecture itself.
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> It is specific to 64-bit Windows. Architecturally independent. So
    <> >>>> we cover IA-64 as well as x64
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> --
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> Regards,
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> Mike
    <> >>>> --
    <> >>>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <> >>>> rights
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
    <> >>>> newsgroups
    <> >>>>
    <> >>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <> >>>> message news:%...
    <> >>>>> Really? I didn't know we deal with Windows for Itanium issues
    <> >>>>> also. I thought it was specific to the architecture itself.
    <> >>>>> --
    <> >>>>> Andre
    <> >>>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> >>>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> >>>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> >>>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> >>>>>
    <> >>>>> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <> wrote in
    <> >>>>> message news:%23%...
    <> >>>>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <> >>>>>> message news:...
    <> >>>>>>> Your problem is associated with Windows 64-Bit for itanium
    <> >>>>>>> systems, this group is for AMD 64 and Intel EM64T Windows x64
    <> >>>>>>>
    <> >>>>>>> Check here:
    <> >>>>>>> microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> Andre - this group is *.64bit.general and IS for ALL of our 64-bit
    <> >>>>>> operating systems not just the x64 one.
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> --
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> Regards,
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> Mike
    <> >>>>>> --
    <> >>>>>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    <> >>>>>> no rights
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use
    <> >>>>>> these newsgroups
    <> >>>>>>
    <> >>>>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <> >>>>>> message news:...
    <> >>>>>>> Your problem is associated with Windows 64-Bit for itanium
    <> >>>>>>> systems, this group is for AMD 64 and Intel EM64T Windows x64
    <> >>>>>>>
    <> >>>>>>> Check here:
    <> >>>>>>> microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    <> >>>>>>> --
    <> >>>>>>> Andre
    <> >>>>>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> >>>>>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> >>>>>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> >>>>>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> >>>>>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> >>>>>>>
    <> >>>>>>> "Seon Kim" <Seon > wrote in message
    <> >>>>>>> news:...
    <> >>>>>>>> Hi,
    <> >>>>>>>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 12, 2005
  14. Darrell's your best bet here. I'm neither a developer nor do I have an
    Itanium, so we'll wait on him to get back to us, I'm afraid.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  15. Charlie, this is exactly why we need to have an Itanium.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  16. No thanks. I don't think my office could stand the heat load. <gr> Those
    things are worse than Xeons for heat.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  17. "Sean M" wrote:

    > Oh what I would give to have access to an IA64.... *sigh*
    >
    > -- Sean M

    Until you try the find command on a 5GB file, or figure that you need x64
    Windows to support more than 512GB RAM....

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 12, 2005
  18. I found the following on the relativity of PTE to PFN and the real residency
    ; OTOH, windbg might not have been updated to track residency ? Maybe Andre
    can shed some light...

    https://blogs.msdn.com/slavao/default.aspx

    On 64 bit platforms it is better to refer to such pages as locked pages -
    please don't confuse them with pages locked through VirtualLock API. As
    described above locked pages have two major properties - they are not
    considered for paging by OS and during allocation they acquire both working
    set and PFN database lock only ones.

    The first property has implicit implication on high end hardware such as
    NUMA. It provides explicit memory residency. Remember that OS commits a page
    on demand. To allocate physical memory, it will use a node on which a thread
    touching memory is running. Latter on, the page can be swapped out by OS.
    Next time it will be brought up into memory, OS will again allocate physical
    page from the node a thread touching memory is running on. In this case a
    node could be completely different from original one. Such behavior makes
    hard for applications to rely on page's NUMA residency. Locked pages solve
    this problem by removing themselves from paging altogether. Moreover Windows
    2003 SP1 introduced a new API - QueryWorkingSetEx. It allows to query
    extended information about PTE's PFN. In order to find out real page
    residency you should use this API. When pages are locked you need to it only
    ones. Otherwise you will have to do it periodically since residency of the
    page can actually change.

    The second property - taking both working set and PFN's database lock only
    ones enables applications to perform faster and better scalable ramp up.

    On NUMA SQL Server' Buffer Pool marks each allocated page with its node
    residency. It leverages QueryWorkingSetEx to accomplish it. Once page is
    allocated it calls the API to find out page residency. It does it only
    once. Therefore enabling locked pages for SQL server on 64 bit platform will
    improve SQL Server ramp up time and will improve performance & scalability
    over longer period of time. When running SQL Server with locked pages enabled
    you shouldn't be worried about overall system performance due to memory
    starvation - SQL Server participates in OS's paging mechanism by listening on
    OS's memory notification API's and shrinks its working set accordingly.

    Let us summarize now - on 64 bit platform, locked pages, awe mechanism,
    enable better application's scalability and performance both during ramp up
    time and over long period of time. However, keep in mind that an application
    is still required to implement a way of responding to memory pressure to
    avoid starving the whole system for memory.

    Let me know your comments!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 12, 2005
  19. Would be great in the Winter. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  20. Kind of an inefficient way to heat. Even at BC Hydro prices it wouldn't be
    cheap. :) Besides, with 7 machines running in here already, including one old
    monster Dual Xeon box, I think it's warm enough.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005