    and so overload the PSU, which is rated at 155 watts.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks MikeN
    Mike Newman, Feb 28, 2006

  2. > I've got an IBM NetVista 6059 KZA desktop which has a Hitachi DVD-ROM
    > with no Write capability.
    >
    > I'd like to make the machine more versatile, by replacing the DVD-ROM
    > with a DVD/CD RW.
    >
    > Will a DVD/CD RW increase the current drain above that for the DVD-ROM
    > and so overload the PSU, which is rated at 155 watts.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks MikeN

    No
    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Mike Newman

    Mercury Guest

    I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....

    Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
    amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
    tiny, so you are right to query.

    About the only thing I can suggest is to research if the PSU to find out if
    it is a standard one, if so, try a DVD R/W drive and if you start getting
    intermittent failures be prepared to upgrade the PSU.

    Another option is to remove something internally that you don't use to
    reduce PSU loading... Under clocking is another option.

    There i bound to be a DVD R/W version of your machine - check the PSU size
    on that along with he DVD drive model and usee that as an indication...

    Mercury, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Mike Newman

    SchoolTech Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
    >
    > Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
    > amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
    > tiny, so you are right to query.

    Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.

    LOL
    SchoolTech, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Mike Newman

    Mike Newman Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >Mercury wrote:
    >> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
    >>
    >> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
    >> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
    >> tiny, so you are right to query.

    >Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
    >
    >LOL

    What's an SFF PC?
    Mike Newman, Mar 1, 2006
  6. "Mike Newman" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mercury wrote:
    >>> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
    >>>
    >>> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
    >>> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU
    >>> is
    >>> tiny, so you are right to query.

    >>Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
    >>
    >>LOL

    > What's an SFF PC?

    Small Form Factor PC
    Stephen Williams, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Mike Newman

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mercury wrote:
    > >> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
    > >>
    > >> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
    > >> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
    > >> tiny, so you are right to query.

    > >Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
    > >
    > >LOL

    > What's an SFF PC?

    Might also be called Low Profile. A small desktop case a few inches
    high, very tightly packed inside (some used laptop CD ROM drives, others
    had just enough room inside for a standard drive).

    Typically there are limited expansion capabilities with just enough bays
    for 1 HDD and 1 optical drive and 1 floppy drive, perhaps 2 expansion
    slots, 2 memory slots etc.

    The older style machines used a special motherboard based on the LPM
    motherboards with a riser slot for the expansion cards and the riser
    card which carried the expansion slots mounted the latter parallel to
    the motherboard. Occasionally you would see a double sided riser with
    perhaps as many as five slots, but a single sided riser with 2 - 3 slots
    is much more common. Hence these machines also tend to have onboard
    video, sound and network.

    Intel invented the NLX form factor specifically for this market to
    standardise on the board and chassis designs based on ATX, but it never
    really took off, and most of these small form factor chassis today use a
    standard microATX motherboard which requires low profile expansion cards
    in the slots. These cards are lesser in height than standard PCI cards
    as the cage is smaller to fit in the lower case. Quite often these days
    manufacturers will make a card for both sizes supplied with 2 brackets,
    one for each height, which can be changed over fairly easily with a
    screwdriver. Quite often the motherboard can be used in either a full
    height or low profile chassis.
    Rob J, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Mike Newman

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:57:23 +1300, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > "Mike Newman" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
    >>>
    >>>LOL

    >> What's an SFF PC?

    > Small Form Factor PC

    Yep, Google agrees.