PSU Load tester

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by unholy, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Some of u might know i have been building a PSU Load tester.

    This post is just the taste of the whole article :)

    The stuff i have
    Now to do this u are going to need some spare parts, eg old psu's with modular connectors and stuff like that.

    these pictures are of the mod currently

    Please post comments

    Attached Files:

    unholy, Jul 24, 2006

  2. unholy

    luckydig1t

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    that's cool! I have never even heard of a psu load tester, but it makes perfect sense! where did you get the schematic?... or are you just using your super human skillbilities?

    luckydig1t, Jul 26, 2006

  3. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    just my super human skillz, and some help from teh master, big al :)

    unholy, Jul 26, 2006
  4. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Large update... a parcel arrived today on a nice day like friday!

    although i had work so i was a little pissed.

    i got ...:
    1x 6-50A shunt (50mV)
    100x 120ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
    20x 10ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
    20x 3.3ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
    5x 100amp terminal blocks.. yes thats right 100amp per joint!

    and this i what it looks like :p

    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/1.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/2.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/3.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/4.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/5.jpg

    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
    unholy, Sep 29, 2006
  5. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    little bit of an update. finished mounting all 140 resistors. now to wire this thingy up :p

    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/6.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/7.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/8.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/9.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/10.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/11.jpg
    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/12.jpg

    If you want to know how i mount 2 Per Terminal. I simpally Doubled them up and twisted the wires with Pliers but only near the end so the actual Resist is not moved from its place :p. Placed it in the terminal block and screwed it down...

    I will be releasing a How to when i have completed the working model :)

    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
    unholy, Oct 3, 2006
  6. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Here is a diagram for the general idea of the Load tester.

    http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/loadtestdiagram.png

    The diagram shows how i was orginally going to make the Tester, but due to the price of Switchs i am unable to do it this way :p 5 bucks AU a switch is quite expensive when ya need 1 million :p

    unholy, Oct 3, 2006
  7. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looking good Unholy. You'll be an electrical engineer before you know it.

    bigal, Oct 4, 2006
  8. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    lol that sorta thing requires like a - OP to get into lol :p

    at the moment i am just cutting cabling to loop up all the resistors :p

    unholy, Oct 6, 2006
  9. unholy

    mpilchfamily

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Was this project ever completed. I know this thread is well over a year old but I'm interested in this idea. Don't know why you went with so many resistors when you could have focused on more exacting resistors. You could have used only 7 resistors and 7 switches to give you between 1A and 31A on the +12v rail. Don't know what your total cost of everything is but the one I'm working on will be about $400 US. Here are my plans.

    http://www.xcpus.com/forums/mods/4586-building-psu-dummy-load-test-bed.html

    I do not have a degree of any kind and only minimal electronics knowledge but its not hard to figure out an simple Parallel circuit. Though it took a while to get all the math down to figure out the best resistors for the job. Not to mention the hours of searching for the bes prices among other complications. But you can read all about it in the link above. But i would be interested to know how and if this one worked out for you. Personally i would be worried about the heat produced from the whole thing and how it would affect those screw down connectors.

    mpilchfamily, Oct 6, 2007
  10. unholy

    mpilchfamily

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    I'm in the prosses of building a dummy load of my own and was wondering how this one turned out. Seams as though the job was never completed here.

    mpilchfamily, Oct 8, 2007
  11. unholy

    mpilchfamily

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    mpilchfamily, Oct 9, 2007
  12. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Unholy's been working on the PSU tester, but I think he has focused his attention to posting updates at this site: http://www.themodnation-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=333

    Last update was in September 2007. I suggest you send him a PM at both sites and start up a dialog.

    Remember that you are working with large currents and lots of heat when testing PSU's. Safety is your most important goal, as you don't want something bursting into flames. Incorporate safety margins in your design and provide adequate ventilation - meaning lots of fans to blow air over those poor load banks.

    Lastly, using a heavy duty power strip with built-in circuit protector and on/off switch gives you the ability to quickly drop the load should things start smoking!

    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
    bigal, Oct 19, 2007
  13. unholy

    bmw2007