PSTN VOIP adapter AVOID USB powered units the cost of power willeat you

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by LVMarc, May 18, 2007.

  1. LVMarc

    LVMarc Guest

    The reliance on USB and computer support of an adapter for voip pstn
    combining. uses more energy than the :
    cost of the adapter
    than the amount you can save on your voip calling plan!

    a usb port ad cpu use >420 watts.. fugre out that you pay $0.016 per KWH
    you pay over one e daollr per day in power more in commercial setting
    where peak power charges are incurred.

    A review suggests how much power is used here.............

    http://reviews.ebay.com/Billions-en...wered-VOIP-adapter_W0QQugidZ10000000003599864

    A non usb pstn voip pstn adapter is located here

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300111295431&rd=1&rd=1

    a video of the operation of the Combine-a-line- (non usb) adapter is
    here....

    View here and now.....http://www.youtube.com/v/R0aGKJQc7rc

    Thanks for viewing

    Marc

    LVMarc, May 18, 2007

  2. LVMarc

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Re: PSTN VOIP adapter AVOID USB powered units the cost of power will eat you

    In message <sRj3i.309617$> LVMarc <>
    wrote:

    >a usb port ad cpu use >420 watts.. fugre out that you pay $0.016 per KWH
    > you pay over one e daollr per day in power more in commercial setting
    >where peak power charges are incurred.
    >
    >A review suggests how much power is used here.............
    >
    >http://reviews.ebay.com/Billions-en...wered-VOIP-adapter_W0QQugidZ10000000003599864

    huh?

    The only way this article makes sense is if the USB powered VoIP adapter
    uses 420w (And if it does, it will either get turned off, or fry your
    motherboard, depending on how cheap a motherboard you purchased)

    Whether the power comes from a fairly efficient power supply (the one in
    your computer) or the cheapest brick the Chinese could create doesn't
    change the amount of energy consumed.

    What you need to do is balance the energy lost due to the lack of
    efficiency of most bricks, vs the amount of additional time your
    computer will be left on to only service the VoIP adapter.

    In a commercial setting, PCs will typically be left on 100% of the time
    while the employee is close enough to use the VoIP adapter, so there is
    no loss at all.

    I don't have anyone in my life that turns off their PC other then my
    grandmother. Most have PCs configured to go into low power mode when
    not in use, so the energy savings is fairly minimal.

    --
    "These, and other cliches will be available to you all for one more
    day of training, with me"

    DevilsPGD, May 18, 2007