PSTN to Voip

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Woggle, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    I'm trying to set the SPA 3000 so I can call in from my mobile number
    and then receive a dial tone and dial out through Voip.

    Unfortunately the SPA doesn't recognise my mobile number. If I leave
    both PSTN Caller ID Pattern and PSTN Access List blank then it works
    for any number but I want to restrict this just to my mobile.

    Settings are as follows:

    PSTN-To-Voip Gateway Setup: Yes
    PSTN Caller Auth Method: Yes
    PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: Yes
    PSTN PIN Max Retry:
    PSTN CID for Voip CID: Yes
    PSTN CID Number Prefix:
    PSTN Caller Default DP: 1
    Off Hook while calling Voip: No
    Line 1 signal hook flash to PSTN: Disabled
    PSTN CID Name Prefix:
    PSTN Caller ID Patter: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    PSTN Access List: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    PSTN Caller 1 PIN: 1234
    PSTN Caller DP: 1

    PSTN Answer Delay: 5
    PSTN PIN Digit Timeout: 10

    As for CID - I'm currently in the UK and it is set to (under Regional
    Tab) ETSI FSK with PR (UK)

    Caller ID FSK Standard is set to bell 2002

    On info page, last PSTN caller comes up as , 07 (i.e. my mobile number)

    Thanks
    Woggle, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Woggle

    Jono Guest

    "Woggle" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to set the SPA 3000 so I can call in from my mobile number
    > and then receive a dial tone and dial out through Voip.
    >
    > Unfortunately the SPA doesn't recognise my mobile number. If I leave
    > both PSTN Caller ID Pattern and PSTN Access List blank then it works
    > for any number but I want to restrict this just to my mobile.
    >
    > Settings are as follows:
    >
    > PSTN-To-Voip Gateway Setup: Yes
    > PSTN Caller Auth Method: Yes
    > PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: Yes
    > PSTN PIN Max Retry:
    > PSTN CID for Voip CID: Yes
    > PSTN CID Number Prefix:
    > PSTN Caller Default DP: 1
    > Off Hook while calling Voip: No
    > Line 1 signal hook flash to PSTN: Disabled
    > PSTN CID Name Prefix:
    > PSTN Caller ID Patter: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    > PSTN Access List: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    > PSTN Caller 1 PIN: 1234
    > PSTN Caller DP: 1
    >
    > PSTN Answer Delay: 5
    > PSTN PIN Digit Timeout: 10
    >
    > As for CID - I'm currently in the UK and it is set to (under Regional
    > Tab) ETSI FSK with PR (UK)
    >
    > Caller ID FSK Standard is set to bell 2002
    >

    > On info page, last PSTN caller comes up as , 07 (i.e. my mobile number)
    >

    > Thanks

    What firmware are you using?

    From their FAQ: "NOTE: SPA-3000 only supports Bellcore Type I (On-Hook)
    Caller ID." (which may only refer to the Access List & Pattern list)
    http://www.sipura.com/support/spa3000faq/Section_4.html#1

    AFAIR, I had exactly the problem you describe & came to the conclusion that
    it doesn't function on UK callerID
    Jono, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Woggle

    Woggle Guest

    Thanks for the note -

    I'm using Firmware software version 3.1.10 (Gwd) and hardware version
    2.0.1(9472)

    So are you saying this doesn't work with UK Caller ID or is it that I
    need to change -

    PSTN Answer Delay to something like 16

    and

    PSTN Ring Thru Delay to something like 5

    so the SPA recognises Caller ID??

    (although that is based on US numbers).

    If it will never recognise it, I guess the only way around it then
    would be to leave it blank so that everyone gets the Voip line.

    That is quite annoying given that I would want the answerphone to pick
    up any messages and it wouldn't be able to under this way.

    Mark

    Woggle, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Woggle

    Jono Guest

    Woggle pretended :
    > Thanks for the note -
    >
    > I'm using Firmware software version 3.1.10 (Gwd) and hardware version
    > 2.0.1(9472)
    >
    > So are you saying this doesn't work with UK Caller ID or is it that I
    > need to change -
    >
    > PSTN Answer Delay to something like 16
    >
    > and
    >
    > PSTN Ring Thru Delay to something like 5
    >
    > so the SPA recognises Caller ID??
    >
    > (although that is based on US numbers).
    >
    > If it will never recognise it, I guess the only way around it then
    > would be to leave it blank so that everyone gets the Voip line.
    >
    > That is quite annoying given that I would want the answerphone to pick
    > up any messages and it wouldn't be able to under this way.
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > Jono wrote:
    >> "Woggle" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm trying to set the SPA 3000 so I can call in from my mobile number
    >>> and then receive a dial tone and dial out through Voip.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately the SPA doesn't recognise my mobile number. If I leave
    >>> both PSTN Caller ID Pattern and PSTN Access List blank then it works
    >>> for any number but I want to restrict this just to my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> Settings are as follows:
    >>>
    >>> PSTN-To-Voip Gateway Setup: Yes
    >>> PSTN Caller Auth Method: Yes
    >>> PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: Yes
    >>> PSTN PIN Max Retry:
    >>> PSTN CID for Voip CID: Yes
    >>> PSTN CID Number Prefix:
    >>> PSTN Caller Default DP: 1
    >>> Off Hook while calling Voip: No
    >>> Line 1 signal hook flash to PSTN: Disabled
    >>> PSTN CID Name Prefix:
    >>> PSTN Caller ID Patter: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    >>> PSTN Access List: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    >>> PSTN Caller 1 PIN: 1234
    >>> PSTN Caller DP: 1
    >>>
    >>> PSTN Answer Delay: 5
    >>> PSTN PIN Digit Timeout: 10
    >>>
    >>> As for CID - I'm currently in the UK and it is set to (under Regional
    >>> Tab) ETSI FSK with PR (UK)
    >>>
    >>> Caller ID FSK Standard is set to bell 2002
    >>>

    >>> On info page, last PSTN caller comes up as , 07 (i.e. my mobile number)
    >>>

    >>> Thanks

    >> What firmware are you using?
    >>
    >> From their FAQ: "NOTE: SPA-3000 only supports Bellcore Type I (On-Hook)
    >> Caller ID." (which may only refer to the Access List & Pattern list)
    >> http://www.sipura.com/support/spa3000faq/Section_4.html#1
    >>
    >> AFAIR, I had exactly the problem you describe & came to the conclusion that
    >> it doesn't function on UK callerID

    I'm saying........"I could never get it to work"

    I will be watching this thread in the hope that someone else /has/ got
    it to work.
    Jono, Aug 14, 2006
  5. Woggle

    pcdoc Guest

    Woggle, setup an account with http://www.voipfone.co.uk slap some
    credit on and they have a geo number you can dial with your mobile to
    get a dialtone so you can make calls thru voip. Works well too.
    ---
    External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
    pcdoc, Aug 15, 2006
  6. Woggle

    Guest

    Woggle wrote:
    > I'm trying to set the SPA 3000 so I can call in from my mobile number
    > and then receive a dial tone and dial out through Voip.
    >
    > Unfortunately the SPA doesn't recognise my mobile number. If I leave

    try (on PSTN Line) Ring Validation Time=150ms, Ring Indication Delay=0

    > PSTN Caller ID Patter: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)
    > PSTN Access List: (just enter my mobile number starting 07)

    generally, if you want to use pin authentification, it's not good idea
    to write in both fields the same number, from sipuras manual:
    "PSTN Access List - A comma separated list of caller number templates
    such that PSTN callers with numbers matching any of these templates
    will be accepted for VoIP gateway service without authentication."

    Leave in "PSTN Caller ID Pattern" your number and remove all data from
    "PSTN Access List", don't forget also your number in "Cfwd Sel1 Caller"
    (PSTN User)
    , Aug 22, 2006
  7. Woggle

    LVMarc Guest

    Re: PSTN to Voip-guide to energy daving pstn to voip adapters

    A new guide shows how much energy is saved by small diferences in
    product energy consumption. Perhaps now is a good time to consider the
    value of ultra low powered devices.

    http://reviews.ebay.com/Energy-Savi...VOIP-PSTN-adapters_W0QQugidZ10000000002996002

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...020&category=1503&rd=1&ssPageName=mem_guide:2

    Best Regards,

    Marc

    LVMarc, Mar 3, 2007
  8. Woggle

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:24:00 -0800, LVMarc <> wrote:

    >A new guide shows how much energy is saved by small diferences in
    >product energy consumption. Perhaps now is a good time to consider the
    >value of ultra low powered devices.
    >
    >http://reviews.ebay.com/Energy-Savi...VOIP-PSTN-adapters_W0QQugidZ10000000002996002
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...020&category=1503&rd=1&ssPageName=mem_guide:2

    This is something I have been commenting on for a long time in
    relation to services that require the use of a PC to operate (e.g.
    Skype etc.) I maintain that you need to add the cost of running
    hardware to the cost of your telephone service.

    Even a very modest modern PC consumes 70Wh (without the monitor) -
    many others take much more.
    I did an audit on hourly power consumption of other devices in my
    house when on standby.
    This might surprise you:-
    Sky box 19W
    Netgem DTT STB 8W
    DVD 16W
    VCR 5W
    Hard disk DTT recorder 23W
    Cordless phone (satellite NOT main base) 2W
    There are 4 cordless phones in total but it isn't practical to switch
    those off. The remainder of the above items, however, use up approx.
    52 units of electricty per month. That's 624 units per year. At
    9p/unit that's GBP56/year! A 70W computer (AMD64 2800 for example),
    running 24/7 for Skype, would ADD another GBP 55/year to that.

    I don't leave my PC switched on and I have since unplugged most of the
    above. The Sky box is now on a timer so it is switched off during the
    night.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 3, 2007
  9. Woggle

    Nick Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:24:00 -0800, LVMarc <> wrote:
    >
    >> A new guide shows how much energy is saved by small diferences in
    >> product energy consumption. Perhaps now is a good time to consider the
    >> value of ultra low powered devices.
    >>
    >> http://reviews.ebay.com/Energy-Savi...VOIP-PSTN-adapters_W0QQugidZ10000000002996002
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...020&category=1503&rd=1&ssPageName=mem_guide:2
    >>

    > This is something I have been commenting on for a long time in
    > relation to services that require the use of a PC to operate (e.g.
    > Skype etc.) I maintain that you need to add the cost of running
    > hardware to the cost of your telephone service.
    >
    > Even a very modest modern PC consumes 70Wh (without the monitor) -
    > many others take much more.
    > I did an audit on hourly power consumption of other devices in my
    > house when on standby.
    > This might surprise you:-
    > Sky box 19W
    > Netgem DTT STB 8W
    > DVD 16W
    > VCR 5W
    > Hard disk DTT recorder 23W
    > Cordless phone (satellite NOT main base) 2W
    > There are 4 cordless phones in total but it isn't practical to switch
    > those off. The remainder of the above items, however, use up approx.
    > 52 units of electricty per month. That's 624 units per year. At
    > 9p/unit that's GBP56/year! A 70W computer (AMD64 2800 for example),
    > running 24/7 for Skype, would ADD another GBP 55/year to that.
    >
    > I don't leave my PC switched on and I have since unplugged most of the
    > above. The Sky box is now on a timer so it is switched off during the
    > night.

    Actually I think the VOIP device energy saving predictions based on a
    seven year life span are clearly silly. Most devices get binned long
    before 7 years.

    However a time switch on a socket that services many small devices
    around say a TV or PC does sound sensible.

    Nick, Mar 3, 2007
  10. Re: PSTN to Voip-guide to energy daving pstn to voip adapters

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:51:16 +0000, Nick <> wrote:

    >Actually I think the VOIP device energy saving predictions based on a
    >seven year life span are clearly silly. Most devices get binned long
    >before 7 years.
    >
    >However a time switch on a socket that services many small devices
    >around say a TV or PC does sound sensible.

    Or a switched socket like the ones from www.oneclickpower.co.uk .
    Switch off your computer, hi-fi amplifier, etc and all its peripherals
    are properly disconnected with an airgap between relay contacts. You
    can switch the main unit off as well of course, but even if you
    forget, there is only one item in standby mode instead of several.

    Rod.
    Roderick Stewart, Mar 4, 2007
  11. Woggle

    Nick wrote:
    > Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:24:00 -0800, LVMarc <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A new guide shows how much energy is saved by small diferences in
    >>> product energy consumption. Perhaps now is a good time to consider
    >>> the value of ultra low powered devices.
    >>>
    >>> http://reviews.ebay.com/Energy-Savi...VOIP-PSTN-adapters_W0QQugidZ10000000002996002
    >>>

    >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...020&category=1503&rd=1&ssPageName=mem_guide:2
    >>>

    >> This is something I have been commenting on for a long time in
    >> relation to services that require the use of a PC to operate (e.g.
    >> Skype etc.) I maintain that you need to add the cost of running
    >> hardware to the cost of your telephone service.
    >>
    >> Even a very modest modern PC consumes 70Wh (without the monitor) -
    >> many others take much more.
    >> I did an audit on hourly power consumption of other devices in my
    >> house when on standby.
    >> This might surprise you:-
    >> Sky box 19W
    >> Netgem DTT STB 8W
    >> DVD 16W
    >> VCR 5W
    >> Hard disk DTT recorder 23W
    >> Cordless phone (satellite NOT main base) 2W
    >> There are 4 cordless phones in total but it isn't practical to switch
    >> those off. The remainder of the above items, however, use up approx.
    >> 52 units of electricty per month. That's 624 units per year. At
    >> 9p/unit that's GBP56/year! A 70W computer (AMD64 2800 for example),
    >> running 24/7 for Skype, would ADD another GBP 55/year to that.
    >>
    >> I don't leave my PC switched on and I have since unplugged most of the
    >> above. The Sky box is now on a timer so it is switched off during the
    >> night.
    >>

    > Actually I think the VOIP device energy saving predictions based on a
    > seven year life span are clearly silly. Most devices get binned long
    > before 7 years.
    >
    > However a time switch on a socket that services many small devices
    > around say a TV or PC does sound sensible.
    >

    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    seven yars is the modeled lifetime of typical consumer products. The
    combine-a-line will last even longer thasn that! The seven yeas is
    also the balamce point for a 42 dollar net savings which is equal to the
    typical price of these adapters.

    as you noted the power levels were much higher than the 4.2 watts I
    used! so the payback and energy waste is eve higher than stated..

    Thanks for reading

    Marc
    LVMarc, Mar 6, 2007
  12. Woggle

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking LVMarc wrote :
    > seven yars is the modeled lifetime of typical consumer products. The
    > combine-a-line will last even longer thasn that! The seven yeas is also the
    > balamce point for a 42 dollar net savings which is equal to the typical price
    > of these adapters.

    How old's your keyboard? <grin>
    Jono, Mar 6, 2007
  13. Woggle