    If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Gareth
    Gareth Evans, Jan 25, 2011

  2. Gareth Evans

    Graham. Guest

    "Gareth Evans" <> wrote in message news:4d3f276d$0$19975$c3e8da3$...
    > Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.
    >
    > When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's
    > electrical interference, as the appliance is faw away from the mains.
    >
    > I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.
    >
    > Here is a link to a sample recording: http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/misc/Atcom-IP01-PSTN-Sample-Recording.mp3
    >
    > If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gareth

    Intriguing.
    How did you make this recording?
    Not all these events are the same, but there are several that look to me like on-hook/
    off-hook events lasting about 430ms which, assuming it's an outgoing call, is long
    enough to drop a BT line, unless of course something in parallel is keeping the line
    looped, like your monitoring device.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jan 25, 2011

  3. Gareth Evans

    Gareth Evans Guest

    > "Gareth Evans" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.
    >>
    >> When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating
    >> sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's electrical interference,
    >> as the appliance is faw away from the mains.
    >>
    >> I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.
    >>
    >> Here is a link to a sample recording:
    >> http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/misc/Atcom-IP01-PSTN-Sample-Recording.mp3
    >>
    >> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Gareth

    > Intriguing.
    > How did you make this recording?
    > Not all these events are the same, but there are several that look to me
    > like on-hook/
    > off-hook events lasting about 430ms which, assuming it's an outgoing call,
    > is long
    > enough to drop a BT line, unless of course something in parallel is
    > keeping the line
    > looped, like your monitoring device.
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Thank you for Graham. I installed a Blink (a SIP app) on my test PC, it has
    built in call recording function.

    I have connected up my Grandstream HandyTone 503 and calls are perfectly
    clear with no "blips". I can only assume I need to configure some settings
    on the IP-01 or maybe I have some faulty hardware (unlikely).

    Unfortunately my Asterisk knowledge is not that advanced. Is there anything
    else I should look at?

    Thank you for your help.

    Gareth
    Gareth Evans, Jan 25, 2011
  4. Gareth Evans

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Gareth Evans
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > I have connected up my Grandstream HandyTone 503 and calls are perfectly
    > clear with no "blips". I can only assume I need to configure some settings
    > on the IP-01

    I can't personally think of what sort of setting would cause that. Getting
    line line impedance settings wrong might cause echo, but those deafening
    clicks are mysterious.

    > or maybe I have some faulty hardware (unlikely).

    Try re-seating the module. Can you move the modules into another slot? Try
    it on another line. Send it back.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:43:35 up 10 days, 3:29, 8 users, load average: 0.21, 0.11, 0.09
    alexd, Jan 26, 2011
  5. Gareth Evans

    groovyrob

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    UK
    Noise issue on Atcom

    Hi Gareth, just stumbled upon your post while looking for reviews of the Atcom IP-02 which I cant find many...
    Did you ever get to the bottom of the noise issue? I'm thinking of buying the IP-02 to replace my Linksys SPA3102 which I use as a PSTN gateway for Asterisk as the echo's unbearable.

    Do these devices suffer with echo on BT through the FXO port?

    Cheers,

    Rob.

    groovyrob, Apr 26, 2012
  6. Gareth Evans

    scharrua

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Howdys!

    if the occasional bip sounds like a DTMF sound, it is a phenomena that only occurs when these 2 elements are present:
    - one of the call participant is a woman
    - comunication has somewhere a VoIP peer

    this is called Talk-Off.
    Sometimes during a VoIP call, human voice sounds very similar to a DTMF tone.
    It's common when a woman is participating the phone, a man's voice is too deep in pitch to result in Talk-Off.
    The voice codec software or hardware will 'hear' something it thinks is a DTMF tone and spontaneously recreates that tone in a nice, clean and clear fashion.

    I'm not sure if there is a way to override this issue...
    scharrua, Jun 21, 2012