    I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP

    Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
    alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    David Amos, Jan 14, 2006

  2. David Amos

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, "David Amos"
    <> wrote:

    >What?
    >
    >Which is the easier to use?
    >or gives the better results?
    >I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    >I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
    >
    >Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
    >alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    Is there a Borders, a Barnes & Noble, or a Books-A-Million in your
    area? Grab few of the dozens of books on the shelves about Photoshop
    Elements, go buy a cup of coffee, and see which book you find the
    easiest to follow. There are probably only a couple of books on
    PSP.

    Then, try some of the MyJanee (Google for them) on-line tutorials and
    learn as you go. Most of the tutorials work in any version of any
    Adobe program.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 14, 2006

  3. David Amos wrote:
    > What?
    >
    > Which is the easier to use?
    > or gives the better results?
    > I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    > I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
    >
    > Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or
    > an alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies"
    > please.

    Your best bet with Paint Shop Pro is to ask questions of the helpful folks
    on the PSP newsgroups:

    Server: cnews.corel.com
    Newsgroup: corel.PaintShopProX

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 14, 2006
  4. David Amos

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David Amos wrote:
    > What?
    >
    > Which is the easier to use?
    > or gives the better results?
    > I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    > I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
    >
    > Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
    > alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    There are many good books on PSE, even the current (PSE4). You might
    try the Photoshop forums for specific advice regarding the best books
    for the aspect you are interested in using.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 14, 2006
  5. David Amos

    Guest

    Scott Kelby, The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers

    Paul B.

    , Jan 14, 2006
  6. On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David Amos"
    <> wrote:

    >What?
    >
    >Which is the easier to use?
    >or gives the better results?
    >I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    >I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP

    Raw support in PSP is quite lacking. If you shoot raw consider that.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 14, 2006
  7. David Amos

    bmoag Guest

    Stay with Elements if you want to move onward and upward in the world of
    digital imaging. There are two players in image processing software: Adobe
    and everyonelse.
    What you learn in Elements you can apply to Photoshop if you decide to take
    the plunge.
    The main reason to stick with Elements/Adobe is ultimately to be able to
    implement and use color management. in the most straightforward manner.
    IMHO use of color management is the big step up from digital snapshooter to
    advanced amateur. There is no control over the digital imaging and printing
    process without color management.
    Manufacturers of color management devices and software essentially support
    only Adobe in their instructions and guides. Although you can use these
    devices and software with other color managed programs you will have to seek
    out how to do this on your own.
    If you master Elements and move on to Photoshop you will feel as if you have
    entered the Promised Land of Digital Photography.
    There are many video tutorials on the web walking one through the basics of
    Photoshop/Elements. I would hit google and start there as it is easier to
    grasp many of these concepts by watching someone do it rather than reading
    it from a book.

    bmoag, Jan 14, 2006
  8. David Amos

    Guest

    PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because Elements kept
    crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in my view. I have since
    read there is some incompatibility with AMD processors.
    Then Coral bought JASC and version X came along, not well received or
    upgraded to by many users including me. Big company syndrome seems to
    have taken over from a small dynamic originator. For long term, or
    possible future graduation to Photoshop, I would stick with Elements,
    Don
    David Amos wrote:
    > What?
    >
    > Which is the easier to use?
    > or gives the better results?
    > I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    > I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
    >
    > Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
    > alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    , Jan 14, 2006
  9. wrote on 14 Jan 2006 09:46:31 -0800:

    o> PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because
    o> Elements kept crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in
    o> my view. ??>>
    ??>> Which is the easier to use?
    ??>> or gives the better results?
    ??>> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    ??>> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
    ??>>
    ??>> Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of
    ??>> either, or an alternative, that someone could suggest? But
    ??>> not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    Is there a "Missing Manual"?

    I'm a bit prejudiced in favor of Elements since I got a free
    copy and upgraded it later to version 3.0 ( $30 with rebates).
    Elements beats PSP 9, AFAICT, in that it can readily stitch a
    panorama (and does a pretty good job!). I'm told that Elements
    4.0 has improved the color cast routine by finally considering
    skin tones.

    James Silverton.

    James Silverton, Jan 14, 2006
  10. David Amos

    clw Guest

    > > Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
    > > alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

    There are many books of "how to" for Elements and Photo Shop. Try Scott
    Kelby. There is a "Missing Manuals" for Elements 3 by Barbara Brundage
    whcih is quite good but elementary. The Dummies books are a waste of
    money.

    clw, Jan 14, 2006
  11. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David Amos"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What?
    >>
    >> Which is the easier to use?
    >> or gives the better results?
    >> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
    >> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP

    > Raw support in PSP is quite lacking. If you shoot raw consider that.

    Corel have teamed up with Pixmantec, and offer the free RawShooter
    Essentials which supports many more cameras than Paint Shop Pro alone.

    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 14, 2006
  12. wrote:
    > PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because Elements kept
    > crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in my view. I have since
    > read there is some incompatibility with AMD processors.

    The problem was with NVIDIA video drivers, and is now fixed.

    > Then Coral bought JASC and version X came along, not well received or
    > upgraded to by many users including me. Big company syndrome seems to
    > have taken over from a small dynamic originator. For long term, or
    > possible future graduation to Photoshop, I would stick with Elements,
    > Don

    However, for someone starting from scratch, PSP-10 includes everything
    which was in PSP-9, and the colour management (with displays and printers)
    is much better, if that matters to you. Whether the upgrade for existing
    users is worth the asking price is, I agree, a moot point.

    I find the perspective correction, purple-fringe reduction, and noise
    reduction tools work very well.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 14, 2006
  13. David Amos

    wilt Guest

    I have used Photoshop LE for many years, as it came with my Canon G2
    bundle. I never decided to upgrade to Photoshop Elements. Then when I
    got a 20D in 2005, I tried Rawshooter Essentials (free trial) as my RAW
    file editing software, and decided to purchase Rawshooter Pro when it
    was launched late last year, rather than use Photoshop and their RAW
    input software capability. RSP converts RAW to JPEG, so I purchased
    Paint Shop Pro 9 for my JPEG modification software, and bought Paint
    Shop Pro X (10) when it came out because it was a fantastic improvement
    over Photoshop LE and PSP9.

    wilt, Jan 15, 2006
  14. David Amos

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 14 Jan 2006 09:46:31 -0800, wrote:

    >PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because Elements kept
    >crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in my view. I have since
    >read there is some incompatibility with AMD processors.

    I don't think so.
    IIRC, the problem was with a video card family.
    >Then Coral bought JASC and version X came along, not well received or
    >upgraded to by many users including me. Big company syndrome seems to
    >have taken over from a small dynamic originator. For long term, or
    >possible future graduation to Photoshop, I would stick with Elements,
    >Don

    The people I know who upgraded to X only complain about the Browser.
    And most who had 9 upgraded.
    Some complained it was bought out by a Canadian company, and no longer
    American. But that has nothing to do with the capabilities of PSP X.
    What do you find objectionable about PSP X?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  15. On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:48:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David Amos"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> Raw support in PSP is quite lacking. If you shoot raw consider that.

    >Corel have teamed up with Pixmantec, and offer the free RawShooter
    >Essentials which supports many more cameras than Paint Shop Pro alone.
    >
    > http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

    I've used RSE at times since it came out. It's a separate app , not
    integrated. Teamed up? Heck it's free to anyone. Teamed up would get you a
    copy of Premium, imo. By not being integrated you are forced to save files
    in between apps and if you want to do this lossessly at 16 bit, this can
    add up to a lot of disk space that not be used by an integrated approach.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 15, 2006
  16. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    []
    > I've used RSE at times since it came out. It's a separate app , not
    > integrated. Teamed up? Heck it's free to anyone. Teamed up would get
    > you a copy of Premium, imo. By not being integrated you are forced to
    > save files in between apps and if you want to do this lossessly at 16
    > bit, this can add up to a lot of disk space that not be used by an
    > integrated approach.

    Corel are offering RSE directly from their Web site, so there is some
    co-operation between the firms.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 15, 2006
  17. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:16:15 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >[]
    >> I've used RSE at times since it came out. It's a separate app , not
    >> integrated. Teamed up? Heck it's free to anyone. Teamed up would get
    >> you a copy of Premium, imo. By not being integrated you are forced to
    >> save files in between apps and if you want to do this lossessly at 16
    >> bit, this can add up to a lot of disk space that not be used by an
    >> integrated approach.

    >Corel are offering RSE directly from their Web site, so there is some
    >co-operation between the firms.

    Purely marketing at this point. From what I can tell there is absolutely
    nothing different from what one could get for free from the Pixmantec site.
    There is absolutely no added value. Imo, this is similar to everyone who
    bundles Acrobat Reader and the free version of Quicktime, just taken to a
    new level.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 15, 2006
  18. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:16:15 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J
    > Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I've used RSE at times since it came out. It's a separate app , not
    >>> integrated. Teamed up? Heck it's free to anyone. Teamed up would get
    >>> you a copy of Premium, imo. By not being integrated you are forced
    >>> to save files in between apps and if you want to do this lossessly
    >>> at 16 bit, this can add up to a lot of disk space that not be used
    >>> by an integrated approach.

    >> Corel are offering RSE directly from their Web site, so there is some
    >> co-operation between the firms.

    > Purely marketing at this point. From what I can tell there is
    > absolutely nothing different from what one could get for free from
    > the Pixmantec site. There is absolutely no added value. Imo, this is
    > similar to everyone who bundles Acrobat Reader and the free version
    > of Quicktime, just taken to a new level.

    Yes, that's my understanding as well.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 15, 2006